Author Topic: Good place to get electronic components online or nearby?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Jesset1996.5Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Good place to get electronic components online or nearby?
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:17:43 am »
Hello everyone! Im currently looking to get some electronic components for a decent price. Id rather not go sifting through the Shenzhen market or pay an arm and a leg for parts that only cost less than $1.00. Any suggestions? Im mainly looking for axial electrolytic capacitors diodes/ semiconductors and transistors! Ive tryed e bay and other places like that but it mainly in bulk , smd which is way to small for use in an hf radio or  just not enough information there to make shure its the correct part. Any suggestions would be great!  :EDIT: just some information i forgot to include, i live in new boston Michigan. Its about 25 miles from Detroit.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:39:18 am by Jesset1996.5 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Good place to get electronic components online or nearby?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:54 am »
Where are you located? Otherwise we could assume your "nearby" is somewhere around north pole  :).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:41:31 am »
Where are you located? Otherwise we could assume your "nearby" is somewhere around north pole  :).
sorry about that, I should have included that  :palm: lol. I live in new boston Michigan. Its about 25 miles from Detroit

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
If you are ok buying from surplus stores, one of my go-to places for random parts is BGMicro (if you lived in Dallas area I would also recommend Tanner Electronics, a brick-and-mortar store).

LadyAda created a nice list of surplus stores.

If you are looking from brand-spanking-new parts, then the usual suspects: Newark, Digi-key, Mouser, Verical, etc.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:12:42 am »
If you guys are curious this is what i need them for. My prc -320 hf radio was unable to lock its synthesizer. I also planed on doing some mods while im at it. Unit #5 was the culprit.110v rail failure! A cap came loose and it overloaded the transistor.  I plan on completely overhauling it with new capacitors since the current ones are old and are starting to not work as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:18:56 am by Jesset1996.5 »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 09:30:10 am »
There's a good place nearby, just next to the football ground.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:59:08 am »
There's a good place nearby, just next to the football ground.
in Detroit ,usa? I never knew, but then again Detroit is a dangerous place so i try and stay away  8)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:12:10 am »

A few years ago I found myself in exactly that position when deploying a satellite ground station at the top of a moraine covered plateau in Svalbard at 78degN.

The antennas and radome had been installed prior to my arrival, my job was to integrate and do a full end to end test.

During some on air tests, something wasn't right. I discovered, with the help of my trusty old $20 Radio Shack pen multimeter that I still use daily, a break in the business end of the inner of a 1" diameter coaxial power splitter. I did have a soldering iron, but as I was there for software and light electronics, such as making up inter system cables, no way was my iron going to be able to heat it up well enough.

So I had to source a juicy iron. It took a few hours, but I did manage to get one, I assume it came courtesy of a local plumber. Where there's a will etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf