Author Topic: Good soldering iron/station for a beginner/student  (Read 8869 times)

Offline xavknoTopic starter

• Contributor
Good soldering iron/station for a beginner/student
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:58:04 am »
Hello all, don't know if this is the right place to ask but here's my question.

Having tried those cheap direct mains power  soldering irons for a while and having already fried a couple of components i am currently looking at either a yihua station or a ts100 (wellers are a bit too expensive at a min price of €170 for a second hand one and €350 for a new one) which one would serve me better? I like the look of the ts100 but how's the performance compared to a yihua station? Any other reccomendations?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:25:54 pm by xavkno »

Offline Momchilo

• Regular Contributor
Re: Good soldering iron/station for a beginner/student
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »
Many used stations are sold at Ebay in Europe. If you're located near the border to Germany, you can look at "ebay-kleinanzeigen.de" or similar websides in the Netherlands. It should be easy to find an old Weller or Ersa station for 60€. Even if they are very old, you can buy new tips for them everywhere. I wouldn't recommend The TS100 as the main solder "station". A knockoff Hakko station from China (aliexpress or Ebay) would be a lot better.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:05 pm »
Which Yihua? A 936 model with 907 iron? Probably the T100 will kick it's ass in heat up time and recovery as it uses a cartridge. As for thermal transfer it also depends on tip size, you can get fairly big T18 tips that have a lot heat storage.

For me I'd buy a Chinese T12 station that takes genuine tips, it would give good performance, custom firmware (now it seems), reasonable working distance, cheap parts, but may or may not be ESD safe. Probably come in a little cheaper than the T100.

Not as sexy as the T100 but it looks more robust to me. If you can get an affordable Ersa avoid the Chinese stuff.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline leisergeist

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:06:46 pm »
A lot of people swear by the Hakko FX888D... if you don't mind it being "old school style" a la Dave's last few videos  ;). I love mine.

I'm not sure what they cost in Europe, but they're sub-$100 around here

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:49 pm »
I regret buying an Aoyue 936. I had all sorts of trouble with wildly varying temperatures, probably due to an opamp going on the fritz. Sometimes it worked fine, sometimes it wouldn't even melt tin. Now that I've fixed it it's still not ideal as you often need to use the firestick approach to get anywhere, which tends to make life harder.

In hindsight I should have bought a proper station like a Hakko or the new small Weller, but if I would have told myself that back then I probably would have just laughed.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 03:34:18 pm »
A lot of people swear by the Hakko FX888D... if you don't mind it being "old school style" a la Dave's last few videos  ;). I love mine.

The FX888D costs €180 here unfortunately and a 2nd hand one costs €140 so it's out of my price range unfortunately.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 03:38:54 pm »
The FX888D costs €180 here unfortunately and a 2nd hand one costs €140 so it's out of my price range unfortunately.

What is your actual price range?

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »

What is your actual price range?
My current price range is sub €90 to €100 euro.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 03:56:44 pm »
One thing I don't like about Yihua and I assume other cheap stations besides the horrible wiring. The metal is not that great of quality so expansion and contraction of the iron metals can be annoying. If I were to try another I would try the t12 compatible, perhaps they have less a chance at the tips coming loose.
Gone for good

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 04:04:27 pm »
One thing I don't like about Yihua and I assume other cheap stations besides the horrible wiring. The metal is not that great of quality so expansion and contraction of the iron metals can be annoying. If I were to try another I would try the t12 compatible, perhaps they have less a chance at the tips coming loose.
I just found out that the ts100 tips have the same polarity as the t12 tips and apperently there even is an adapter for the ts100 to account for the longer length of t12 tips on thingiverse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline leisergeist

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:38 pm »

Yikes! Might be worth the Yihua dice roll then, I dunno..

Offline picandmix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 09:10:53 pm »
Hi,

Had a 936 clone, 60W, similar to this for several years and its been very reliable , fast heat up  etc.

I would say ideal for beginners and  general use, though many here will disagree, but like you I don't want to spend hundreds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KATSU-936-Digital-Electronic-Soldering-Rework-Station-60W-312087/292130123261?hash=item44044fedfd:g:Nt0AAOSwnK9ZRoph

936 tips are plentiful and lo cost; a well know way to improve the performance is by using some graphite powder where the body slides inside the tip, really does work.

Offline RyanT

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:19:08 am »
I also recently had to upgrade my soldering station on the cheap. My crusty 30+ year old Radio Shack mains-direct "30W" iron was waaaaaay past its prime.

I went with a "WeberDisplays 939D+" off of Amazon (Canada, but probably available just about everywhere.) It was C$59.99 (~€37.25) with 2-day Prime shipping, and it came with two elements, five tips (old Hakko style, not the new style... not sure if that's important to you), and a decent (separate) stand and some accessories. I've put it through its paces with some moderately heavy ground plane stuff as well as SMT passives (0603s mostly, couple of smaller ones) and a TSOP chip, with no problems, except my aging eyesight. Really need to get a magnifier.

I took a quick look inside and everything seems both very standard and very solid. Better than I was expecting, actually. I knew what I was getting, and have been pleasantly surprised. I've been using it for about a month now.

The only gripe I have with it is the "sleep mode" sometimes decides to cool the iron while I'm soldering, which is mildly annoying as it only takes 2-3 seconds to warm back up. I don't know if there is a way to change that. The Chinglish in the instructions is about as bad as you'd expect.

Would I recommend it? Sure. It seems to do its job well enough for the money. However, I can't comment on whether the Yihua or TS100 you're considering might be better or worse value, as I haven't used them. Hope this helps.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:30:42 am »
I bought a TS100 and threw out my Analog 60 shortly after that.
Personally I like the tiny size of it and it's quick heatup time which is just awsome.
On the hand its thermal capacity is a bit low if you have big planes or components. For that I use the Weller station at work.

I would highly recommend buying some decent cable for the TS100!
I bought 3m of this: https://www.designacable.com/2-core-high-temperature-silicone-rubber-cable-2x0-25mm-4amp-dc-wiring-black-orange-green.html
And some 2.5mm Jacks to solder to and an old laptop power supply. Works great.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 10:36:06 am »
A clone FX951 is US$75 delivered
http://bit.ly/2FQWCVO

Offline LoFi

• Contributor
  • Madness, put to good use
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 02:26:47 pm »
Sparkfun sells an inexpensive ($12.95 USD) 60W temperature-controlled soldering iron that I like a lot.  It's very compact (I have very limited space on my workbench), has an on/off switch, and works well.  Best feature?... it takes Hakko tips, and they work great on it.  Even if you eventually end up with a full-blown soldering station, this little iron would make a nice portable backup for the toolkit.  I've been using it a lot lately and have no complaints.

See...   https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14456

"Don't play stupid with me... I'm better at it."

The following users thanked this post: leisergeist, a59d1

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:23 pm »
The Yihua or WEP 937D with a 907 iron is probably your best choice on a budget. Provided you don't need to do heavy groundplanes, for which it's a bit lacking in heat output.  Vastly better than a direct mains iron though. Plus you can use Hakko tips.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 11:13:24 pm »
If you have a step down-transformer, maybe someone can send you a 120V FX-888D.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 12:42:39 am »
At that price, it'd have to be total garbage to not rank highly on the value scale IMHO (i.e. heating time & recovery to be on the slow side vs. the genuine article).  ;)

• Contributor
Good soldering iron/station for a beginner/student
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 04:41:39 pm »
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions,
I just talked to a friend and this soldering iron came up and he said that he and a couple of friends of his once tried to buy the same/similar soldering iron and they where all confiscated when they entered the country for being "fake", so I don't think this one is really an option shame, as it looked quite good.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:07:51 am by xavkno »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf