Author Topic: Gophert CPS-3205C and a 1 ohm 1% 4 lead  (Read 1844 times)

Offline PurduephotogTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Gophert CPS-3205C and a 1 ohm 1% 4 lead
« on: April 23, 2017, 05:50:59 am »
I've read this and a few other calibration pieces. I do have access to a full up NIST lab.. but before I go borrow/bother Gary I'd like to get it done myself.

I just attached my new gophert to a 7W 1 ohm 1% resistor.

1.000V and 1.400A current limiting.

The reported current from the power supply was 0.859.

At 2.000V it reported 1.712A: current limit was

Not quite what I expected. But it's late and I decided I'd head to bed... And another video suggested picking up a used 175 for 50$ to help recalibrate and a free voltage supplies from voltagestandard.com

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/checking-test-equipment-calibration-on-the-cheap/

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Gophert CPS-3205C and a 1 ohm 1% 4 lead
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:08:25 am »
I have no idea what exactly you were doing.
Can you post the circuit you made?
And where did you read what?

Anyway: 1Ohm does not equal 0.859A at 1V.
But was the load really 1Ohm? Did you account for the leads?

The current doubling when the voltage doubled dies make sense though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:20:07 am by jeroen79 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 12:40:46 pm »
The circuit was just clipping the 1 ohm 10W 1%power resistor to the power output leads of the supply.

I had dialed in 1.000V and set the current limit to 1.400A.

I was trying to figure out how to go about establishing what is in calibration and not without schlepping down to the calibration lab and begging some gear.

Lot of assumptions, but how should I go about figuring what is in cal (grossly at this point?)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:09:07 pm »
I do have access to a full up NIST lab.. but before I go borrow/bother Gary I'd like to get it done myself.

Research and understand "Kelvin connections", 2-wire, and 4-wire resistance measurements.

Learn what all the equipment tolerances mean, and calculate the effect they will have on the measurements.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »
I have no idea what exactly you were doing.
Can you post the circuit you made?
And where did you read what?

Anyway: 1Ohm does not equal 0.859A at 1V.
But was the load really 1Ohm? Did you account for the leads?

The current doubling when the voltage doubled dies make sense though.

I was apparently not thinking.

After reading your post I removed the probes and cranked the lugs directly down to the resistor.

1.000V 1.001A.

So yeah, apparently this set of probes suck.  Time to order from Franky's store again.

Thank you for helping reattach my head. Now I've just got to figure out what that means for all of my previous measurements... And whether or not to redo them.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 01:14:21 pm »
I do have access to a full up NIST lab.. but before I go borrow/bother Gary I'd like to get it done myself.

Research and understand "Kelvin connections", 2-wire, and 4-wire resistance measurements.

Learn what all the equipment tolerances mean, and calculate the effect they will have on the measurements.

Yep. I knew these in college and have been working thru the actual measurements on my own. So I was stymied when I hit something so simple.

I just wasn't thinking. I can't believe I hadn't tested the leads. More caffeine.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »

Yep. I knew these in college and have been working thru the actual measurements on my own. So I was stymied when I hit something so simple.

I just wasn't thinking. I can't believe I hadn't tested the leads. More caffeine.

College knowledge is very practical :) "Let's make new mistakes"!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 01:38:19 pm »
Be aware that Gopher PSU does not limit current at the set limit exactly. For example, if you set 1.4A current limit, it can limit at 1.3 or 1.5A.
However, Gopher PSU shows actual current pretty accurately. Check current with DMM if in doubt.

It is bad practise to "trust" set current limit for precision on cheaper supplies. Always look at actual live current reading.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf