Author Topic: GPIB, Whats in it for me  (Read 8753 times)

Offline jkf1000Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
GPIB, Whats in it for me
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:44:05 pm »
I have built up a small collection of test gear from various manufacturers. One thing that is common to pretty much all of them is that they have the GPIB connector at the rear. The equipment is all far from new with some dating from the late eighties and I have been researching what the GPIB thing is all about. I have read a little about the National instruments package which from what I can understand offers control and logging options from connected devices but as with most things it comes at a cost, quite a considerable one at £1200. Definately not for the home enthusiast. Also are older machines supported still or is it a generic set of commands used?
 I have read about third party software packages, but they seem tailored to specific instruments or manufacturers.
The PCI GPIB card itself is not a particularly cheap item and then throw in the cost of a few cables it all mounts up. Is there a cheaper/freeware alternative for the software side of things, If I decide to go ahead it will be with an older National Instruments card as it appears to have more software support.

Another driving force to the enquiry is the recent purchase of a faulty spectrum analyzer, the display side of things has failed but everything else on it appears fully functional, would GPIB allow me to control/monitor what is going on with the device as part of a diagnostic process.

I have done quite a bit of Googling on the subject but I thought I may get more sense from someone on the forum that uses the system..
Many thanks in advance. Karl

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: GPIB, Whats in it for me
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:56 pm »
There's probably nothing in it, for you... 

I have been diddling around with electronics for decades and still don't even have equipment that uses GPIB.  My old scope is "what you see is all you get" and I have a new Rigol DS1054Z but I have no interest in the connectivity.  One of my DMMs will do data logging and I have never used the feature.  When I buy the Rigol AWG and PS, I have no intention of connecting them to a network.  What would I possibly do with computer control?

If you want to automate a test setup, if you are a QA department, if automated testing is your goal, then GPIB is something of interest and cost won't be an issue.

Now, HP hobbyists might want to connect all their equipment to an HP-85 calculator just because they can.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:43:46 pm »
On the hardware side, check out Prologix http://prologix.biz/ .  They make a GPIB to USB adapter.  Also, Keysight 82357B GPIB to USB adapters are common.  I don't have one, but apparently most of the ones on ebay are clones but work (?).  There's a message thread on them here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flood-of-new-agilent-82357b-gpib-usb-adaptors-on-ebay-the-real-deal/

On the software side, Labview Home costs $50 and since you download it, you could have it today! http://store.digilentinc.com/labview-home-bundle/  I've used EZGPIB for some general purpose things and Timelab for counters and spectrum analyzers that it supports.  There are other packages like PyVISA and pylt for Python.  Note that EZGPIB is still available, but no longer supported since the author has passed away. 

There's a nice GPIB resource listing here http://prologix.biz/resources.html that talks about lots of software.

GPIB might allow you to check out your spectrum analyzer depending on how much functionality was built-in and how much programming info is available.  A few years ago, I bought a really cheap Advantest SA that had a dead display and no keyboard, but it did have GPIB and a VGA output.  I used GPIB to send commands and a VGA monitor to look at the results.  I sorted out a few other faults and confirmed that the unit was basically working before I spent any money on replacing the missing and dead pieces.  It still has 'character' but it's basically working.  ;)

rstofer makes some good points.  Do you want/need to collect data from your equipment?  I play with precision oscillators and frequency standards.  I need to collect the data so that I can generate graphs to see how well things are functioning.  If you want a soft copy of the results from your SA, you probably need some form of data capture.  Phase noise graphs?  Not very easy to do by hand.

It all depends on what kind of toys you play with.

Ed

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 11:47:38 pm »
I have read a little about the National instruments package which from what I can understand offers control and logging options from connected devices but as with most things it comes at a cost, quite a considerable one at £1200. Definately not for the home enthusiast.

Since GPIB isn't "modern" anymore, buying new interfaces, software, etc. often will not be cost effective. It's something you want to get used. Often folks will get a USB- or Ethernet-to-GPIB adapter to connect older GPIB equipment to newer computers that lack ISA or PCI support. Just be aware that there are also counterfeit (branded with NI, Agilent/HP) and clone USB-to-GPIB interface devices out there.

Also are older machines supported still or is it a generic set of commands used? I have read about third party software packages, but they seem tailored to specific instruments or manufacturers.

Each device has a command set. Whether a particular software package supports a particular device is something you'd have to check in the specifications. Often, there are drivers to support specific devices, written by the control software provider, the manufacturer of the device, or a third party.

The PCI GPIB card itself is not a particularly cheap item and then throw in the cost of a few cables it all mounts up. Is there a cheaper/freeware alternative for the software side of things, If I decide to go ahead it will be with an older National Instruments card as it appears to have more software support.

From what I've seen, most people seem to write their own code to do what they need with the instruments.

Another driving force to the enquiry is the recent purchase of a faulty spectrum analyzer, the display side of things has failed but everything else on it appears fully functional, would GPIB allow me to control/monitor what is going on with the device as part of a diagnostic process.

It depends on the device, but yes, GPIB is a useful way to test the functionality of an instrument especially if there is a problem with the display or controls. An example of this kind of usage can be found in some of The Signal Path videos on YouTube where Shahriar connects a broken device he got on eBay to see if it's alive because the front panel is dead.

I have done quite a bit of Googling on the subject but I thought I may get more sense from someone on the forum that uses the system..

As rstofer points out, GPIB has uses, but not everyone needs it. If you find that you occasionally need to log many values over time, test broken gear, or some other control function that GPIB provides, you can get one interface and one cable rather than connecting everything full time.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 01:05:32 am »
A basic subset of GPIB sufficient to talk to the devices is dead easy to implement. I did it on a Parallax propeller with a connector, ribbon cable and some resistors. That was sufficient to configure and pull screen dumps from a Tek 2440 scope, and talk to a HP 3457a meter.

It would have been easier to buy an off the shelf adapter, but what would be the fun in that?

Certainly, to use all the fruit GPIB can be complex to implement, but on a basic "command - result" basis it's not difficult at all, and even easier if your uController has 3.3v IO.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 04:00:00 am »
If you have an Arduino Uno handy, you could give this DIY solution a try:

http://egirland.blogspot.com/2014/03/arduino-uno-as-usb-to-gpib-controller.html

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna, shteii01

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:36:12 am »
The Arduino solution looks like an interesting option to look into. A big thankyou to every one for their input as it has certainly helped a lot with my decision making process.
If I can use the GPIB as a diagnostic or enquiry tool for fault finding a failed instrument then it seems to be a no brainer, anything that helps the repair process has to be a good thing.
Outright control and data logging is not particularly what I am looking for but I can imagine times when it may be useful. (Mainly short term soak testing after repairs)
I think I will wait until payday and jump in.. Karl

Offline brozier

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:46:12 am »
If you just want to dump the screen to your PC this HP-GL/2 plotter emulator is worth looking at :-

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/

He has open source toolkit available as well.

Work with the (relatively cheap) Prologix USB-GPIB adaptor.

Cheers
Bryan

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 01:56:41 pm »
Screen dumping, data collection, on some kit it's used to 'fake' functionality, for instance there's a communications tester by HP that only has a 10MHz span (shoot me if I'm using the wrong terminology) but someone wrote a piece of software that automates operation to give a much wider span and display on a PC.

You may also find that certain features or extra precision is hidden by the front panel or display of the instrument and it's obtainable via the GPIB connection, some frequency counters give you an extra digit I believe.

You can also write your own functions, program test sequences etc. which may not be that useful or may become absolutely indispensable depending what you do with them.

In short, YMMV, it's worth investigating but possibly not very useful to you.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »
Ah, yes. Thanks, CJay. I forgot that some instruments give you access to more resolution, additional functionality, etc. only via GPIB.

Regarding the Arduino solution, since it doesn't use driver ICs, just be aware that it won't drive many devices and/or long cables. It should be fine for debugging/repair use.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 10:40:06 am »
Well I have bitten the bullet and ordered a used PCI National instruments GPIB card and a couple of HP used cables so I now just need to look into the software side of things. Fingers crossed but if I can get more insight into faulty equipment using it then it is well worth the expense.. Karl

Offline RCHRDM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 07:35:54 pm »
This is a little later, but there are some $80-ish Agilent GPIB USB adapters on eBay from China that seem genuine.  Mine came in a sealed Agilent box and seems to work fine.

See eBay 131361983346

Richard

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 07:42:50 pm »
GPIB does not seem to be going away any time soon. On a Keysight seminar I asked if they plan to obsolete GPIB. "Hell no" was the answer.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 12:13:35 am »
I looked into the clone USB units from China but the National instruments PCI card worked out a cheaper option, right place/right time. Also I have found that using a N.I. card, whatever I plug in is found without issue, which may not be the case with a USB converter. I have had a few frustrating hours in the past trying to configure USB to serial devices.
 It has been a worthwhile investment so far, very useful in diagnosing older test equipment and some items can only be calibrated with the use of the GPIB. I am glad I took the plunge.. Karl

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 12:37:36 pm »

That's a pretty interesting project.  I wonder if it could be taken a step further?  I have two GPIB devices... a Racal Dana counter and a Keithley DMM... It would be nice to avoid all those expensive thick GPIB wires.... a GPIB to wireless adapter seems feasible?

Offline RCHRDM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 04:05:13 pm »
There are some pretty cheap GPIB cables on eBay.

Offline JXL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 07:21:26 pm »

That's a pretty interesting project.  I wonder if it could be taken a step further?  I have two GPIB devices... a Racal Dana counter and a Keithley DMM... It would be nice to avoid all those expensive thick GPIB wires.... a GPIB to wireless adapter seems feasible?

You can make your GPIB cables with ribbon cable connectors.  Custom lenghts, any number of connectors per cable.
Similar connector on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDC-24-Pin-Male-Centronics-Type-Flat-Ribbon-Cable-FFC-Connector-Adapter-/321483157199?hash=item4ad9e3aecf:g:nbEAAOSwjDZYb9BB

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 07:41:17 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with these inexpensive USB to GPIB controller cables.  I hadn't seen these before on eBay.  Looks like a USA made inexpensive clone. Comes with some rudimentary software. For $39 + $7 shipping it might be worth a gamble.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 09:09:46 pm »
I am not sure what is happening in the used NI PCI-GPIB cards market.
But if you look around eBay there are many used cards available for 49.00 and up that were over $100 dollars just last year.

I picked up a NI- PCI card and now looking for a NI DAQ card.
Seems all of these are dropping in price.

Mine worked right after installing.
Connected my TEktronix 7854, and HP 8903 saw them Immediately.
After Clumsily figuring out how to name devices I am very happy with results.

Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 10:07:48 pm »
But if you look around eBay there are many used cards available for 49.00 and up that were over $100 dollars just last year.

If ISA boards were being offered on ebay, I wonder if any would sell.   PCI is a pretty dead bus now.  Seems like there would not be a high demand so the price adjusts.   This is why I went from ISA to Ethernet.  Of course, they decided not to support it as well. So now I just talk to it direct and don't install the NI-GPIB package. 

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 11:13:02 pm »

If ISA boards were being offered on ebay, I wonder if any would sell.   PCI is a pretty dead bus now.  Seems like there would not be a high demand so the price adjusts.   This is why I went from ISA to Ethernet.  Of course, they decided not to support it as well. So now I just talk to it direct and don't install the NI-GPIB package.

I was surprised to see that ISA boards sell for as much as $80.  Then I realized that if you had a big, old, industrial system that would cost $100K or more to replace, spending $100 for a replacement ISA GPIB board would be a no-brainer.  Same would apply for PCI except they often sell for over $100.

Ed

Offline RandallMcRee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 11:21:17 pm »
The LQ works for me.
I have not done much with it, but it talked to my Keithley out of the box. I just needed to guess which serial port it was mapped to.

I have been planning to write some test scripts but have been too busy with other stuff.

Randy

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 04:25:54 am »

Yes, definitely feasible especially for a home lab. Probably less reliable in an industrial setting. Depending on how much bandwidth you need, there are many wireless options to explore.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 04:27:28 am »
Does anyone have any experience with these inexpensive USB to GPIB controller cables.  I hadn't seen these before on eBay.  Looks like a USA made inexpensive clone. Comes with some rudimentary software. For $39 + $7 shipping it might be worth a gamble.

I hadn't seen those before. Doesn't seem too bad. Just be aware that it doesn't have drivers in it, so it won't work with as many devices on the bus or with long cables as well as an interface with drivers.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01:19 am »

I hadn't seen those before. Doesn't seem too bad. Just be aware that it doesn't have drivers in it, so it won't work with as many devices on the bus or with long cables as well as an interface with drivers.

I haven't worked with these, but I think I read a forum message somewhere (here?) that said they didn't work well at all.  I'd spend some quality time with Google before buying one.

Ed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf