Author Topic: Greenlee/Paladin PA8000 Crimping Dies  (Read 4084 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Greenlee/Paladin PA8000 Crimping Dies
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:08:06 am »
So I recently came upon a Greenlee PA8000 crimper for pretty cheap (under $20) but it came with an RJ50 die, which is pretty much useless. Are there any good dies for use in electronics? I am looking to crimp things like headers, insulated connectors and other basic jellybean kinda connectors.

EDIT: Apparently, this is also the same thing as the Ideal Crimpmaster-II
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:12:42 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
Re: Greenlee/Paladin PA8000 Crimping Dies
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 06:14:36 am »
Geez, either you're very lucky, or I'm very dumb. I just recently paid a lot more than that for exactly the same thing. I use it to crimp BNC and SMA cables.

I think you're thinking about this backwards -- as you work on projects, you can decide whether you want to build certain cables, and then figure out which PA8000 dies would suit that requirement and buy it there and then. It seems a bit odd to me to just buy a bunch of dies without knowing what they're for?

Offline PedroDaGr8Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Greenlee/Paladin PA8000 Crimping Dies
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:57:06 pm »
Geez, either you're very lucky, or I'm very dumb. I just recently paid a lot more than that for exactly the same thing. I use it to crimp BNC and SMA cables.

I think you're thinking about this backwards -- as you work on projects, you can decide whether you want to build certain cables, and then figure out which PA8000 dies would suit that requirement and buy it there and then. It seems a bit odd to me to just buy a bunch of dies without knowing what they're for?

I guess I was really bad at explaining myself.

Mainly, I am looking at the connectors that I mentioned before.

For the insulated connectors like the following:

It seems like there are multiple crimping dies for use with these kinds of terminals. I will likely need to figure out which one is the best for this use.

My biggest question is that I prefer to crimp the following kind of header connectors and was looking to see if there are any dies which will work with them. These are the arduino style header connectors, nothing special or fancy.

https://www.pololu.com/product/1930

I can change the kind of connector to a degree if there is one that works better with the 8000. It almost seems like despite reguarly being recommended the 8000 series crimper is really intended for coaxial type applications and not smaller stuff.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf