Author Topic: Hantek MSO5102D Oscilloscope with LAPC116A Logic Analyzer module  (Read 5111 times)

Offline mfonsecaTopic starter

Hantek MSO5102D Oscilloscope with LAPC116A Logic Analyzer module
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:04:47 am »
Hi,
    I've recently acquired (November 25 last year, delivered on December 2nd) a Hantek MSO5102D on eBay, and up to this time I'm very happy with it as a nice basic digital scope, but there is always a catch.  I haven't been able to make the LAPC116A Logic Analyzer module included to trigger the right way, triggering occurs perfectly with the two analog channels (GoodTrigger.jpg), but if one selects any of the Digital inputs as source for the trigger, slopes are inverted, i.e., if you choose source Dn on Edge, Rising, it will trigger on the falling edge of Dn, and likewise if you choose triggering on Dn Edge, Falling, it will trigger on the rising Edge (BadTrigger.jpg).  It's driving me nuts!  And all the analog triggers occur correctly on the falling or rising edges as configured.  The pictures show the results when attached to the Probe Comp clip on the front of the scope (5V @ 1 kHz square wave).

I told the seller about this problem and they sent me a new LAPC116A because the original one had some intermittent lines on the left edge (D0~D3 and D8~D11) but the new one behaves exactly the same with respect to the triggering, so I'm thinking about some configuration jumper or switch that's inverting the triggering for the LA module.  Information on the scope is (using the Utility Button and selecting F1 System Status) as follows:

[model] MSO5102D
[sw version] 3.2.35(131127.0)
[hw version] 1010x55558340
[serial number] T 1G/012 017056
[boot count] 53 (was 0 when I bought it, yes, I've been playing with it :D )
[upgrade count] 0
[lcd.front.ts] 0.0.0

I really like the scope, and the logic analyzer has nice beginner's options such as triggering on 4 bit patterns, sequences and the like, but it would be REALLY hard to always think in negative transitions to be able to use it in the state it behaves now.

Any ideas to get it running correctly are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for all your help,

Miguel
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:43:52 am by mfonseca »

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
  • Disc Inside Ionized Atmosphere - Mexico 1994
    • SETV
Re: Hantek MSO5102D Oscilloscope with LAPC116A Logic Analyzer module
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:45:33 pm »
Hi There,

I am unfamiliar with your scope...are there multiple probes attached to one signal source? Or are you 'double-probing' through one probe?

So, as I understand things, you are attempting to simultaneously read a signal on an analog input while sampling using an internal logic-analyzer digital channel on the same signal, is that correct?   Have you tried an external signal test source instead of using the scope's internal signal-source?

Aside from setting 'trigger' on a rising/falling edge are there any other trigger settings for that trigger setup?

bench_knob
edit: added additional question re; trigger configuration

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:22:07 am by bench_knob »
skupe: zeebra_xray

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:18:00 am »
That is correct, both CH1 and the D0 line on the logic analyzer probe are attached to the PROBE COMP clip at the same time.  The symptom persists if I feed the signal from my function generator, and it is as follows:

The scope's triggering system treats state transitions inverted on the Logic Analyzer module i.e. (Hi to Low) will be detected as (Low to High), even though the state of the signal itself is displayed correctly.  That's why I added the analog input graph, to make it clear that while the signal levels are the same and are displayed correctly on both inputs -analog and digital-, however triggers whose source is any analog channel work just fine while the ones sourced from the logic analyzer signals are inverted.

For example, button F3 in the scope's menu is linked to the Slope value option for triggers on signal edge, and F3 also controls the Polarity value used for triggers on Pulse.  The trigger will behave inverted with respect to whatever value is displayed in the option linked to button F3 for triggers whose source comes from the Logic Analyzer signals.  However, the trigger will behave in the user intended way with signals from analog sources (Channels 1, 2, or External Trigger).

Fiddling a little more with trigger configuration I found out that having configured a trigger intended for a digital input the correct way (not inverting any values but as intended by your requirement), if you cycle through all the trigger types by pressing button F1 when you reach again the Edge or Pulse trigger, the source has changed (due to having cycled through Video and Alternate triggering) to CH1, but if you use F2 to select digital input D0, the trigger will behave correctly just once.  If you press F2 again to keep cycling through the digital inputs (onwards to D1, D2, etc.) or change the value on button F3 (slope or polarity), the problem comes up again and the trigger will interpret the inverted values for whichever F3 option is displayed.  So this seems like a firmware problem, not a physical one.  Could someone with the same scope but a different firmware version confirm if it behaves like this?

Miguel

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
  • Disc Inside Ionized Atmosphere - Mexico 1994
    • SETV
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:03:07 pm »
That is correct, both CH1 and the D0 line on the logic analyzer probe are attached to the PROBE COMP clip at the same time.  The symptom persists if I feed the signal from my function generator, and it is as follows:

The scope's triggering system treats state transitions inverted on the Logic Analyzer module i.e. (Hi to Low) will be detected as (Low to High), even though the state of the signal itself is displayed correctly.  That's why I added the analog input graph, to make it clear that while the signal levels are the same and are displayed correctly on both inputs -analog and digital-, however triggers whose source is any analog channel work just fine while the ones sourced from the logic analyzer signals are inverted.

For example, button F3 in the scope's menu is linked to the Slope value option for triggers on signal edge, and F3 also controls the Polarity value used for triggers on Pulse.  The trigger will behave inverted with respect to whatever value is displayed in the option linked to button F3 for triggers whose source comes from the Logic Analyzer signals.  However, the trigger will behave in the user intended way with signals from analog sources (Channels 1, 2, or External Trigger).

Fiddling a little more with trigger configuration I found out that having configured a trigger intended for a digital input the correct way (not inverting any values but as intended by your requirement), if you cycle through all the trigger types by pressing button F1 when you reach again the Edge or Pulse trigger, the source has changed (due to having cycled through Video and Alternate triggering) to CH1, but if you use F2 to select digital input D0, the trigger will behave correctly just once.  If you press F2 again to keep cycling through the digital inputs (onwards to D1, D2, etc.) or change the value on button F3 (slope or polarity), the problem comes up again and the trigger will interpret the inverted values for whichever F3 option is displayed.  So this seems like a firmware problem, not a physical one.  Could someone with the same scope but a different firmware version confirm if it behaves like this?

Miguel

Miguel,

Sounds to me that you have found yourself a genuine software bug and the only catz that can fix, as you very likely know....is the HanTek factory, so you need to put some focus on them, at least that way they'll become aware of the matter and hopefully fix it for everyone, in some future firmware release.

Good luck!

bench knob
skupe: zeebra_xray

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
I can confirm - I have just tried it with MSO5102D, SW 3.2.35(131029.0), HW 1010x55558340

Using D0 as trigger, Rising Edge and Falling Edge are reversed! Just for good measure, D15 does the same!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:56:20 pm »
I reported the bug to Hantek, still haven't got any response from them; however, that firmware version was available in their website up to the last week, but this week, however, the link is down ( http://www.hantek.net/down.aspx?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hantek.com%2fen%2fuploadpic%2fProductFu%2f )... 

It seems they may be doing something about it.  Let's hope for the best.

Miguel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf