Author Topic: Having some trouble with tda2822  (Read 3988 times)

Offline ajblanco09Topic starter

Having some trouble with tda2822
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:31:38 am »
I've been building an amp with the bridge mode of the tda2822 and everything was fine until I turned the volume up, I'm using a smartphone as the input of the amp but when it reaches certain amount of volume the sound collapses, I'm using a 9v 500mA power supply and a 3w 4ohm speaker, I'm using the circuit shown in the datasheet. I thought I could use a class b amp in combination with the tda.. But I don't know which one use or if that's the solution. Thanks!.

Enviado desde mi Z812 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Having some trouble with tda2822
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:58:32 am »
Does the TDA2822 get hot?

Have you measured the power supply voltage when the volume is turned up?

Perhaps it's overheating or the power supply is being overloaded and shutting down?

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »
The datasheet for the TDA2822 in the 14 pins case shows that it overheats when it dissipates about 1.5W without a heatsink.
Your circuit has both amplifiers bridged. The datasheet shows your bridged circuit driving an 8 ohm speaker (not your 4 ohm speaker which draws double the current) with a 9V supply producing an output of 3.2W and dissipating 2.1W of heat which will cause it to overheat and be damaged unless it has a heatsink attached somehow (glued on top?). The heatsink must not be enclosed.
The datasheet shows it bridged and driving a 4 ohm speaker with a 6V supply (not your 9V supply that produces much more power) but the curves for power and dissipation are mixed up. It probably produces an output of about 1.5W and dissipates about 1W of heat.

Your TDA2822 might have been fried.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:23:18 am »
Does the TDA2822 get hot?

Have you measured the power supply voltage when the volume is turned up?

Perhaps it's overheating or the power supply is being overloaded and shutting down?
Yes, it does get hot but it has a heatsink on top of it

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:31:55 am »
The datasheet for the TDA2822 in the 14 pins case shows that it overheats when it dissipates about 1.5W without a heatsink.
Your circuit has both amplifiers bridged. The datasheet shows your bridged circuit driving an 8 ohm speaker (not your 4 ohm speaker which draws double the current) with a 9V supply producing an output of 3.2W and dissipating 2.1W of heat which will cause it to overheat and be damaged unless it has a heatsink attached somehow (glued on top?). The heatsink must not be enclosed.
The datasheet shows it bridged and driving a 4 ohm speaker with a 6V supply (not your 9V supply that produces much more power) but the curves for power and dissipation are mixed up. It probably produces an output of about 1.5W and dissipates about 1W of heat.

Your TDA2822 might have been fried.
Hi, I did put a heatsink on top and  I also tried an 8 ohm speaker but the results are the same, it is still working btw, I tried a 6v 500ma ps but the only change I noticed is that the performance reduces a little bit, I was going to try to attach a class b amp with a bc637 and a bc640 but I couldn't find the components yet and see what results.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf