Author Topic: Hearing aid for father, in-ear electronics  (Read 7883 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Hearing aid for father, in-ear electronics
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2017, 10:09:20 pm »
The Audio Engineering Society are the global professional organization of audio engineers, people who work with sound and electronics.

They have been around for a looong time..
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »
...aaaand you’ve scared off the OP.

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2017, 12:35:32 pm »
I have been working as an acoustic engineer pretty much my whole career, and I can also tell that everything more than $100-200 is absolute nuts.

Where does that come from??? Sure - any of the "high end" receivers are 10-20$ (but the IEM makers put 6 of them in an ear) - but the really high level low distortion balanced armature receivers are about 50-70$ each. You need both high volume and low distortion.

Add their low distortion low power (no high voltage bias available) microphones for a low distortion system and you are way over 100$ per ear before the actual DSP, energy management and amplification happen.

While nowhere near the $5-10k price charged by Siemens or Bernafone or Widex - but also the OP does not have to (by law) verify his in ear response against a Bruel and Kjaer dummy, nor offer a programming system, or a catalog of spare parts and support.

If I were the OP and really up to it - I'd build a big "around the neck" device. Build the parametric filters into it (DSP), a limiter (so as not to hurt the hearing) - maybe even some Dolby type compression to allow limiting but not annoying clipping.

If it works - I'd then try to miniaturize it.

Last point if they are to buy a device, I'd scour the hearing loss forums for manufacturers that are lax in their programmer cable and software - so that if the audiologists don't do a stellar job - one could tailor the settings to their preference. 

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2017, 01:57:55 pm »
I have been working as an acoustic engineer pretty much my whole career, and I can also tell that everything more than $100-200 is absolute nuts.
Where does that come from???

Sensible question.

While nowhere near the $5-10k price charged by Siemens or Bernafone or Widex - but also the OP does not have to (by law) verify his in ear response against a Bruel and Kjaer dummy, nor offer a programming system, or a catalog of spare parts and support.

Depending on the jurisdiction, hearing aids may or may not be classed as medical devices. That's perfectly reasonable, since they could easily permanently damage someone's hearing. Once you get into that territory, it becomes very wise to have insurance, lawyers, and design manufacturing and customisations procedures that will stand up in court against hostile questioning.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2017, 03:05:40 pm »
Depending on the jurisdiction, hearing aids may or may not be classed as medical devices. That's perfectly reasonable, since they could easily permanently damage someone's hearing. Once you get into that territory, it becomes very wise to have insurance, lawyers, and design manufacturing and customisations procedures that will stand up in court against hostile questioning.

I am sure the audiologist may also be responsible for setting the amplification too high...

There are a lot of malpractice insurance fees in the 1000's of dollars price tag. It wouldn't surprise me if half....

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2017, 08:35:43 pm »
Best to avoid hearing aids then.

A customizable, compact high quality audio amplifier for headphones..with all sorts of DSP functions, and built in microphones, could tap into a big underserved market.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:37:23 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf