Author Topic: help! how to program a NSC800N controller without a FTDI chip?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline ali6x944Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
help! how to program a NSC800N controller without a FTDI chip?
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:28:50 pm »
how to program a NSC800N controller without a FTDI chip?
and could i use  USB , or rs-232 from my laptop?

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
Re: help! how to program a NSC800N controller without a FTDI chip?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:50:06 pm »
Need a lot more information...
The NSC800 family are standalone processors - so there is an assumption you have any RAM & ROM hanging off it along with some I/o...

http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_datasheet.php?id=714420&part-number=NSC800N&show=inline

To program that collection of chips, you'll need an assembler or compiler and linker, or are willing to toggle some switches to get your program into memory.
If it's a complete 'controller' as suggested in the title - there will be some bootloader in ROM, or other tools to load/update the programs it needs to 'run'.

As a Z80 clone, there will be a lot of code out there, but likely you'll have to get dirty puttiing it in to the specific hardware of your 'controller'.  if it's a packaged controller from the 80s or 90s - There a chance it already has a simple basic, or other language for machine control in the ROM already.

Dies it have a serial terminal port or other means of talking to the controller - or is it a single chip stuck in a block of anti static foam?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:53:55 pm by SL4P »
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline ali6x944Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:35:22 am »
I will post all nesesary details and all chip nombers i have for dynamic rams
Unfortunely i don't have another AVR or pic to do any icsp

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:51:30 am »
It sounds like you are gettin in over your head to design and support what is in reality an obsolete technology.
If you decide to go ahead, post photos and schematics/details of any boards you are planning to use - and search google for things like 'Z80 single board computer project'.
Plenty of people have made these systems, but I suspect they started from a better resourced position with Frys, Mouser, Digikey on their doorsteps.
You may be better starting with a pre-tested kit that you can build and understand before you dive in.
Congratulations on the interest to start!

Important note:  The NS chip min clock is 300khz vs the Z80 runs down to DC.  a lot of help when building a board from scratch!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:03:26 am by SL4P »
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf