Author Topic: HELP Desoldering Through hole components with an Aoyue 968A+  (Read 5491 times)

Offline azigtaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi, Time ago I ordered an Aoyue 968A+ rework station and for what I´ve done for the moment, It works alright. I´ve repaired SMD components (even 0402 size) succesfully but when I try for example to get out an I/O port of a pc motherboard... I simply can´t. I have to say that I have no flux applied, but I´ve seen a lot of people getting ps/2 ports, usb ports etc. with a hot air gun.

All I get when heating the area I want to desolder, it´s get the components hot... The tin doens´t melt unless I litteraly put the heating gun touching the motherboard wich I think isn´t a good idea because the tin could get inside the heating gun...

I tried heating at 240ºC, 250ºC, even at nearly 400ºC (I´m not proud of that try, it was just because I was desperate to get that component out...)

The air pressure it´s always at max. As a result I think that this station is not intended to get through hole components out at all.

I saw a desoldering gun for other aoyue machines that seems to work great. I was wondering If someone has adapted one of those desoldering guns to work with an Aoyue 968A+... I don´t have the money to buy another machine, and I also don´t have a place to put it on my room.

Anyway, why am I going to buy another machine that has the same air pump that has my machine? I mean, there has to be a way to adapt that gun to work with this station, right?

what do you think? help me please..

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: HELP Desoldering Through hole components with an Aoyue 968A+
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:56 am »
Add solder to the leads/pins of that connector, use 60/40 to reduce the melting temperature or the solder.

Use the hot air gun to heat up the area, then gently pull out the connector or tap on the motherboard so that the connector will fall down.

A motherboard is made of lots of layers, some having a lot of copper in them. So that copper is pulling heat away - while you're heating the surface of the motherboard and that layer of solder, you have solder inside the hole which is kept at a lower temperature due to the copper layers acting like a heatsink. Add some solder on the pins so that the solder will mix with the existing one and be liquid at lower temperatures and hopefully that will make the "heatsink" caused by internal layers less effective, allowing you at one point to just tap the board or gently pull out connector.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:29 am »
i have done that, but it doesn´t work. I´ve been searching on internet and I found a desoldering gun for aoyue 2702. It has the same connector. I asked aoyue if this would suit my 968 but i´m like a 98% sure that it will. If it has the same connector it should work.
Also when changing capacitors on motherboards it gets hard to work when the pins are small. With this gun I think I´ll solve a lot of problems.

Anyone here tried this mod?

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »
I have an Aoyue 968A(?) hot air, solder station.

Sometimes I find the air temperature a bit troublesome.
One thing when I am blowing air I take out the air filter. At least keep it clean, it slows down the airflow  a lot and is only necessary when the soldering iron is sucking, not for the hot air.
Also I use an electric frying pan as a warming plate, after the board is hot I just put some air on till the solder liquifies. Might be awkward with through hole stuff though.
I find this method works so well I don't bother with the toaster oven for reflow.
That fan is as noisy as all hell, at least I dont forget to turn it off.

What about that Rhino desoldering station that Dave reviewed. That may be suitable too.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »

What about that Rhino desoldering station that Dave reviewed. That may be suitable too.

well I´m new at the eevblog forum so I don´t know about that review, could you post a link?

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 02:50:33 pm »
This may be the one:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:11:37 pm »
WOW guys xD I´ve put a lot of tin on the pads and try again with the hot air at 327ºC , in about 20 seconds I get any component out and the motherboard is perfect. No damages on the layers and no damages on the surface wax.

The thing is that normaly when I solder 60/40 tin I solder it at 240-250ºC , trying this over the motherboard pads was not useful at all as the tin melted but stayed over the other tin... That made me think that maybe that tin had more pb . So I raised the temps to nearly 400 XDDD it melted so great. I melted tin in all the pads at 400º (386º I think) and then with the hot air at 327º the usb´s and all the stuff I wanted to get out, got out.

Anyway thank you guys. I think I´m not gonna buy any desoldering gun as This method works so great!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf