Author Topic: Help for design simplest circuit for 6*1wat white LED in parallel(LED Driver)  (Read 8689 times)

Offline rozehTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi everybody
I'm doing a project to design a circuit. I have to connect 6 number of 1wat white in parallel. this circuit will work on a ship with 24v supply. Do you have any idea for making it very simple? I already saw this:

Super simple high power LED driver
Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
Here is the LED display power supply I designed for my discrete digital clock project. My displays have almost 200 10mm LED's in total each with a nominal V drop of 2V. I run a 100R series dropper on each from the regulated 3V. Overall it is relatively efficient.

I think it's pretty simple and straight forward.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Regular Contributor
Thanks dear GK
I think it's a bit complex for me. ;D
What is your opinion about this circuit?:

Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
a waste of money and chips?

What do you guys have against led drivers ?

1w led ... 2.8-3.4v voltage  1w .. that's about  300mA  ... times 6 is about 19-20v ... so 19v 300mA ... no problem driving a led driver from 24 volts.  Get a buck led driver and you're done. Or get two and put just 3 leds on each led driver... they're cheap at about 1$ each

Put the leds in series and get one of these :

http://uk.farnell.com/zmdi/zled7000-zi1r/led-driver-buck-0-75a-sot89-5/dp/1898426RL
http://uk.farnell.com/zmdi/zled7000-zi1r/led-driver-buck-0-75a-sot89-5/dp/1898426
http://uk.farnell.com/diodes-inc/ap8801sg-13/ic-led-driver-buck-0-5a-8sop/dp/1825358

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
Thanks dear GK
I think it's a bit complex for me. ;D
What is your opinion about this circuit?:

I can't see that working with those 20k resistors in series to the regulator inputs, even in the simulator. You probably should be looking for a dedicated LED driver IC as already mentioned. A switching one too otherwise with a 24 supply you will be dissipating a lot of power in the regulator(s), and especially so if you insist on connecting the LEDs in parallel instead of series.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
If you have 24V available you really want to wire them in series, not parallel
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
But the assignment says they have to be connected in parallel. You have to follow the rules of the assignment. You have to do what you are told. Authority must be obeyed!  >:D

• Regular Contributor
@mariush
Thanks. It's a good idea. also if I can find these ICes in my country. :D
@GK and @mikeselectricstuff
but the series has a big problem. if one of them will burn then other LEDs will not work. :(
@IanB
 :D

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
In parallel if one burns, the others get more current and another one burns, and then they all share the current and they are all toast. Unless you driver LEDs way below nominal current so that you have enough headroom in case of failure.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

• Regular Contributor
@poorchava
Really?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
but the series has a big problem. if one of them will burn then other LEDs will not work. :(

If the LEDs must be run independently, then you first need a circuit to drive a single LED from a 24 V supply, then you duplicate this circuit six times.

The circuit to drive a single LED from a 24 V supply will be a suitable current regulating buck driver IC for LEDs.

If a 24 V supply is too high to efficiently drive a single LED you might consider first generating a lower voltage rail, say 6 V with a DC/DC step down converter, and then running the LEDs from this.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
@poorchava
Really?

This will happen if you literally connect the LEDs in parallel and then try to drive them all from a single current source. But you shouldn't do that.

• Regular Contributor
 ??? :-\
Which is the cheapest way, guys? and which is the best for a ship? series or parallel?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Well what are you trying to design?

Is it for area lighting, spot lighting or beacons? Interior or exterior? Are the lights to be controlled as a group or individually switchable? Is the design a one-off, or for volume production?

It's hard for anyone to say what is "best" without knowledge of what is needed.

• Regular Contributor
Well what are you trying to design?

Is it for area lighting, spot lighting or beacons? Interior or exterior? Are the lights to be controlled as a group or individually switchable? Is the design a one-off, or for volume production?

It's hard for anyone to say what is "best" without knowledge of what is needed.
for beacins.
exterior.
individually switchable.
Volume production.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
for beacins.
exterior.
individually switchable.
Volume production.

Just for clarity, do the six LEDs make one beacon switched on and off as a group, or do the LEDs make six separate beacons that can turn on and off independently?

It would be common to put LEDs in series when there are a group of them. But they could also be arranged in two groups of three, or three groups of two.

The normal approach would be to use a purpose designed LED driver IC. Pick one that matches the supply voltage, output voltage and LED current requirement. LED lights are so common now that many driver chips exist.

• Regular Contributor
Just for clarity, do the six LEDs make one beacon switched on and off as a group, or do the LEDs make six separate beacons that can turn on and off independently?
the six LEDs make one beacon switched on and off as a group

Offline hlavac

• Frequent Contributor
I would make a switching buck converter to create a supply rail with voltage about 1V above the forward drop of the LEDs from the 24V input for power efficiency, then give each LED its own current limiting resistor and power all the resistor - LED pairs in parallel from that rail. That ensures reliability when individual LED fail open or change drop voltage drastically.
Good enough is the enemy of the best.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
I would use something like the RT8472 from Ricktek.  It is a buck switching LED Driver which can take from 5V to 30V directly and will run up to 1A output current.  It also costs $0.25/ea and has a dimming/switching input for easy control of the LED current output.

I would run the 6 LED's in series in one string.  Failure of one LED is not so much a problem - LED's are diodes and they should not be designed for failure anymore than you would design any other part for failure like any other diode or capacitor or resistor.  I always see people wanting to design around possible LED failure - IMO there is no reason for that other than either a bad design originally that is going to fail, or being burdened by the past when bulbs used to burn out (a bad way to do modern designs). After all, we don't design solid state transistors to be replaceable in modern electronics, even though we did with vacuum tubes... same thing.

I would heat sink everything REALLY well, then pot the whole thing with clear epoxy and forget about individual component replaceability in favor of reliability/waterproofing.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

• Regular Contributor
Unfortunately I couldn't find those ICs(you mentioned) in my country. What is your opinion about this circuit?
3wat LED constant current
I want to put 3*1wat LED in parallel for each of this circuit. thus, for 6LED I can use of two this circuit for each.

• Regular Contributor
like this

Offline ttp

• Regular Contributor
like this

This is just 3.33V voltage supply, no current limiting. In my opinion no good for LEDs.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
Using just a comparator, a couple passives and some transistors you can make a poor mans buck led driver:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Poormans-Buck/

• Regular Contributor
Thanks ttp and senso
This is just 3.33V voltage supply, no current limiting. In my opinion no good for LEDs.
:(
Using just a comparator, a couple passives and some transistors you can make a poor mans buck led driver:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Poormans-Buck/
I don't need to dimming the LEDs. I just want to drive those in parallel. ::)

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
 ::)

Remove the dimming and you get a constant current led driver....

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
I don't need to dimming the LEDs. I just want to drive those in parallel. ::)

Don't try to drive LEDs in parallel. You will most likely shorten their life and cause them to fail. LEDs must be driven in series, or individually with current balancing. Never in parallel.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
As several people already told you here, driving the leds in parallel is a bad idea.  Serial is the way to go, more efficiency.

If you're worried that one of the leds will break down and kill all the leds in the chain, then do a compromise and make 2 or 3  sets with 2-3 leds on each set.  If one led breaks down, you're going to have lower brightness because only 2 or 3 out of the six leds will stop working.
If you're so worried that one of the leds will break down and interrupt the whole chain of leds, why don't you just add some jumpers that will take out the led out of the circuit if it fails?

You have 24v, it will be a shame not to just chain the leds and have high efficiency. Just add some jumpers to take leds out of circuit if needed :

If you want something stupidly simple, you can use led drivers like these (i used them in the picture above) :

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NSI45090JDT4G/NSI45090JDT4GOSCT-ND/3462437

Each of these diode like drivers does up to 160mA (adjustable with a plain resistor) but they can be paralleled to give more current. Since you have 1w leds that means you need about 300 mA so you can simply put two of these in parallel and adjust the current to 150mA each with the resistor and you're done.

These led drivers are more expensive but at least they don't need inductors and capacitors and other components so you save money there. Just make sure to read the datasheet and pay attention to thermals (leave enough copper around them so they can stay cool (relatively) )

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
If you're worried that one of the leds will break down and kill all the leds in the chain,

Murata make thermistor like anti-fuse devices intended to permanently short out LEDs failing open circuit. Littlefuse make semiconductor parts like two terminal voltage triggered thyristors which are also intended to short out LEDs failing open circuit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf