Author Topic: help identify this soldering iron  (Read 2407 times)

Offline SeaofdepTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
help identify this soldering iron
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:52:58 am »
so i have been using a soldering iron that hardly worked so found this for pennies and was told its good for desoldering and basically everything .  i can barely make out much but i think it says COGAR and it has a strange tip heating element. any information is much appreciated . i haven't used it yet since it is dirty so any tips on  use and cleaning will be A BIG HELP. THANK YOU

Offline pfrcom

• Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Seaofdep

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
Re: help identify this soldering iron
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:20 am »
yes now that i look at it again, ungar is def what it says.....thanks a lot i was not sure how ill find more tips

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:39:47 am »
Yep it's Ungar. The element is SES base.

IIRC one I had was a bit hot until I added a light dimmer........hell, this takes me back a bit.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:21:54 am »
i cant wait to use it and order new tips this one has aged lol not sure if its possible retin the top

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:57:40 am »
No help here. Just wanted to say that iron looks amazingly retro-futuristic. The grip... it looks like cork?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:26:54 am »
No help here. Just wanted to say that iron looks amazingly retro-futuristic. The grip... it looks like cork?
It is cork and without it the area that you hold with fingers gets damned hot.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:31:35 am »
i cant wait to use it and order new tips this one has aged lol not sure if its possible retin the top
It is.
Get some brass wool for cleaning the tip by just plunging it into the wool from time to time to remove the dross and carbonised flux. This wiping process through the wool will constantly wipe molten solder over the tip and keep it in good condition.
Brass or stainless kitchen pads in some beaker arrangement works just fine.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: KL27x, Seaofdep

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 05:39:29 pm »
Cool I'll go get some today , thanks for the help

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 05:54:18 pm »
Brass or stainless kitchen pads in some beaker arrangement works just fine.
Stainless turning panscourer will damage iron plated bits.  Using them is an absolutely last resort.   Ordinary wire wool is safer as the smaller strands are less aggressive but it will still wear away iron plating - only use it for salvaging badly oxidised bits.   

Brass wool (available from good chandlers and fine woodworking suppliers as fragments left on the surface can't rust to spoil the finish) or brass turning panscourers are safe as they are softer than the iron plating.

However I wouldn't put a lot of money into fixing up this iron - its an unregulated 'firestick' with an ungrounded tip - useful for heavy terminals and chassis work but risky for pcb work and sensitive semiconductors.   Also if the cork grip is in poor condition and breaks while you are using it, you *WILL* regret it if you cant drop it somewhere safe P.D.Q!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:01:26 pm by Ian.M »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 06:06:14 pm »
However I wouldn't put a lot of money into fixing up this iron - its an unregulated 'firestick' with an ungrounded tip - useful for heavy terminals and chassis work but risky for pcb work and sensitive semiconductors.   Also if the cork grip is in poor condition and breaks while you are using it, you *WILL* regret it if you cant drop it somewhere safe P.D.Q!
I agree. If I found an old soldering iron like that, it would go straight to the dump. I wouldn't feel safe using anything with an unearthed tip which runs directly off the mains and the fact there's no temperature control makes it useless to me.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 07:31:25 pm »
It might make a nice heating element for a small bench solder pot - Salvage the Edison screw socket from the handle, take the element, cut off the point and thread it. Drill a 1" blind hole in a steel block to form the solder pot, cross drill and tap the block to take the threaded bit,  drill and tap the side of the block for a high temperature bimetallic strip thermostat. Wire it up with high temperature rated wire back to a ceramic terminal block where you can transition to ordinary flex. Wrap all the hot parts except the top of the block with Kaowool and secure in place with plain glassfiber tape (not self-adhesive or plasticised) and wire, and mount on a heat resistant base with a well ventilated sheet aluminium shroud round it leaving only the top of the block and the blind hole exposed.  However, do make sure the block and the shroud are properly grounded . . .

OTOH if its working and doesn't have defective insulation, maybe stick it on EBAY as-is - if you are lucky you may get enough to buy a Yihua 936 soldering station!
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-596-world%27s-cheapest-soldering-station-yihua-936/

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 12:56:04 am »
thanks everyone, i appreciate all the help . and @Ian.m yes it is working , i just might do that, you know of what price range they start at

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf