Author Topic: Help in indentifying and sourcing this flat-cable-like parts.  (Read 5372 times)

Offline zoltmTopic starter

• Contributor
A picture worth better than 1000 words.

I am trying to source a 20 ways flatcable, pitch between cable is 2.54mm. The best I can get is a supplier in UK, who could provide the above in unit length at 3" . I am wondering if this cable originally comes off from a roll of long length.

I am looking for the exact cable, but ideally in 6", 8" and 12" length. I checked with the supplier in UK, they CANNOT offer that, all their stock comes pre-cut in 3" format.

Questions time:

1. What is the exact trade name of this part? Such that I can try to search them in RS, Farnell, Mouser and like.
2. Do you know of a supplier of this part in your location?

Thanks and best.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:20:04 am by zoltm »

Online David_AVD

• Super Contributor

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
Re: Help in indentifying and sourcing this flat-cable-like parts.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:00:04 am »
I used to use a lot of those in an old product, and those are fixed length.
I switched to a similar Panduit product (don't have the name on me), which I buy in 4-6-8-12W Reels.
You can get them pre-punched to length, or if you want a lot, buy the tool that punches out the
insulated gaps. If you have no luck, Ill dig up the part #s tonight.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55:52 am »
David,

Thanks, I learn something new today, the keyword - flexstrip. It looks like they are available from RS at pre-cut length.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:58:30 am »
I used to use a lot of those in an old product, and those are fixed length.
I switched to a similar Panduit product (don't have the name on me), which I buy in 4-6-8-12W Reels.
You can get them pre-punched to length, or if you want a lot, buy the tool that punches out the
insulated gaps. If you have no luck, Ill dig up the part #s tonight.

Do give me more details, it looks exactly the thing I look for. Thanks in advance.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:08:25 am »
I am wondering if this cable originally comes off from a roll of long length.
They always do, that's how they're made, but the question is whether they're willing to cut off an arbitrary length for your order.

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:35 am »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:06:46 am »
Do give me more details, it looks exactly the thing I look for. Thanks in advance.
A 10 way reel is marked : PAN-FLEX 100F24V10N2CR   It's a 100Ft reel, 24AWG, 300V, 105C
This series can be crimped on to 0.1" SIL connectors or soldered. They have lots of other types.
I preferred it because it wasn't single core, which ALWAYS kepy breaking if my devices came
under vibration or flexed. Start with that, and I'll dig up other bits if necessary.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:26:19 am »
Hi digsys,

Curious if you can help to locate a source which current supply the cable, in roll, that you mentioned below?

Currently the situation is this is not a common product that those usual suspects like RS, Farnell would stock. They always say, can be ordered, but normally with a minimum order quantity in thousands, if not hundreds. I don't need that much. I use less than 10, yes 10. It looks like those are not avenues to success.

Cheers.

A 10 way reel is marked : PAN-FLEX 100F24V10N2CR   It's a 100Ft reel, 24AWG, 300V, 105C
This series can be crimped on to 0.1" SIL connectors or soldered. They have lots of other types.
I preferred it because it wasn't single core, which ALWAYS kepy breaking if my devices came
under vibration or flexed. Start with that, and I'll dig up other bits if necessary.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 02:14:05 pm »
Hi digsys,
Curious if you can help to locate a source which current supply the cable, in roll, that you mentioned below?
Currently the situation is this is not a common product that those usual suspects like RS, Farnell would stock. They always say, can be ordered, but normally with a minimum order quantity in thousands, if not hundreds. I don't need that much. I use less than 10, yes 10. It looks like those are not avenues to success.
Cheers.
In Aussie, Panduit have re-licensed that product to Soanar (last purchase). I'll check their current catalogues and get back to you with details.
Did you mean 10 rolls? I can send you various samples to try if you like.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 02:50:17 pm »
Geez, it's been sold off and re-badged again :-)  Have a look at this link - www.itwpancon.com
The lower gauge (heavier) stuff is quite stiff and easy to insert in multi-way SIL PCB pads, if you decide to solder.
I mainly use 24g (and 18g I think)

Offline mianchen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »
If you live in Macao why don't you try Shenzhen or Dongguan? Or even Hongkong? I mean everything comes from those places these days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf