Author Topic: help: laptop webcam pinout?  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Prime73Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
help: laptop webcam pinout?
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:55:08 am »
Hello,

after a most recent dumpster dive I got an old compaq precarious cq56 (it's seems to be dead and I was after the screen). it has a build in webcam and I thought that I can reuse it in some fun project. However can't figure out pinouts for the module. Here is a pic of the module itself and a power supply part of the laptop pcb. Obviously #4 and#5 are GND and #3 is VCC for the module. However I can't find any info on Y9ZT regulator or the image processor itself to figure out proper VCC voltage. Also not sure what interface it uses for data transfer.

any help is appreciated.

Offline LokiChaos

• Contributor
Re: help: laptop webcam pinout?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:26:45 am »
A good number the internal laptop webcams are just USB, a quick search of the laptop model seems to indicate it is, so it's powered with +5V.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:45:29 am »
A good number the internal laptop webcams are just USB, a quick search of the laptop model seems to indicate it is, so it's powered with +5V.

NO! Just because it uses USB does not mean it takes 5V. It is internal to the device, it can run from any supply rail they see fit.

E: And a very brief investigation instead of assumption reveals that U4 on the supplied photo is an LDO providing the camera module with a 3.9V supply. I suggest powering U4 to check that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:56:24 am by Monkeh »

Offline LokiChaos

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:28:40 am »
Good to know :)  I've only ever encountered 5V on various internal USB devices, but I'll admit that is a sample size on the order of 10 (mostly Wifi modules)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:23:57 pm »

E: And a very brief investigation instead of assumption reveals that U4 on the supplied photo is an LDO providing the camera module with a 3.9V supply. I suggest powering U4 to check that.

that's what I was thinking. however I can't find a data sheet for U4 and not sure about the best approach to power it without knowing its Vin max. most likely it should be ok at +5V though... but I wanna be sure

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:46:52 pm »
The LDO is fed from 5V.

I suggest searching for 'CQ56 schematic'.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 02:56:37 pm »
The LDO is fed from 5V.

I suggest searching for 'CQ56 schematic'.

thanks! found it.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 03:12:11 pm »
Rightmost two pins are USB D+ and D-, it's obvious that they're being routed as a differential pair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf