Author Topic: Help needed identifying PDIP EEPROM  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ESXiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
Help needed identifying PDIP EEPROM
« on: April 17, 2018, 05:32:35 pm »
Hello,

I want to read a EEPROM chip, but I can't find the brand or datasheet.
It is a "P95AD 93C46EN". The chips looks like this with also the "F" on it.
(See the attached image of my chip)

All the information I found was this;
http://www.int-thinking.net/ic218914/93C46EN.html

it says manutacturer NSC, this is not right? It's also not FairChild or Micro-something and so on?
What I do know is that it is the same brand chip and same model number so it is a three-wire serial eeprom 1k.

In the end I want to connect this to my Arduino and dump the eeprom and write it to a new one.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:15:14 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Re: Help needed identifying PDIP EEPROM
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »
It's a Microwire EEPROM, a bastard child protocol between SPI and I2C  >:D

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/21712B.pdf

Read/Write it with this stuff:
https://github.com/tim0s/MicrowireEEPROM

Good luck,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: edavid, ESXi

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:57:32 pm »
Hey Thanks DC1MC!

I will post pictures here when I finished all the work. My speedometer failed today in my car (earlier replaced the sensor in the transmission) but today the stepper motor gave the ghost  >:( and had to buy a "new used" mileage clock. Hopefully I can restore it with original mileage..

I did a continuity test on the stepper motor, the last contacts in the motor almost at the end are crunchy as f. The pointer stays between 0 and 2 and it's tripping when I power up the dashboard. It's a old VW 3.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:20:08 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:31:16 am »
It is Fairchild (now ON), part is FM93C46EN. Non-RoHS and very old, obsolete part.

The following users thanked this post: ESXi

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 01:46:24 am »
The 93C46 is a bog-standard EEPROM, readily available in many different versions.  Digikey alone returns 306 hits with 67 varieties in stock for immediate shipment... 

I can't see why you would have difficulty finding datasheets for them, they're a common part.

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 04:05:41 pm »
The 93C46 is a bog-standard EEPROM, readily available in many different versions.  Digikey alone returns 306 hits with 67 varieties in stock for immediate shipment... 

I can't see why you would have difficulty finding datasheets for them, they're a common part.
Some chips are easy to find and identify... Like when they have ST/AT on them and a part number that shows up in a search engine. I don't know nothing about other brands. For you the F is a easy and dead giveaway that it's a Fairchild jobby.

I tried www.alldatasheet.com without much luck because the numbers don't match up.
Have looked at wikipedia for chip manufacturers brands under the letter F indeed found fairchild but not a datasheet using alldatasheet or google.

I know the part is really old. It's out of a speedometer from a car that is almost 26 years old.

It seems like all I had to do was to add 'FM' in front of the 93C46. Anyways I will cut the traces now on the PCB and I will try to read the eeprom in-circuit using a Arduino with MicrowireEEPROM lib from github which by the way looks promising.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:28:55 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:47:32 pm »
So yeah. I dumped the eeprom successfully, but I really don't understand the data structure(I dumped yesterday and today, so I have two dumps which show differences). I guess I will just have to place the eeprom over to it's new cluster and call it a day. Not sure how healthy this one is, but I guess they are all just old, also the used one I got (probably the same age).

Got myself two dip 8 sockets so I can easily put the old one holding my mileage back to the ''new'' cluster.
my elcheapo lab:

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 09:22:49 pm »
So yeah. I dumped the eeprom successfully, but I really don't understand the data structure(I dumped yesterday and today, so I have two dumps which show differences). I guess I will just have to place the eeprom over to it's new cluster and call it a day. Not sure how healthy this one is, but I guess they are all just old, also the used one I got (probably the same age).

Got myself two dip 8 sockets so I can easily put the old one holding my mileage back to the ''new'' cluster.

If you ever wanted to understand you data structure make very sure that you never ever post the before and after dumps, along with a description of what you did in between, or even take some snapshots as instructed.
No sir, all this math buffs and (professional) reverse engineers here will never be able to help you or understand this complicated stuff, no sir  >:D

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:10 pm »
It seems like all I had to do was to add 'FM' in front of the 93C46.

You could have also just searched for 93C46.  :)

Searching for the base part number without prefixes and suffixes is generally the best course of action when searching for things that have many variants and manufacturers.

If you ever wanted to understand you data structure make very sure that you never ever post the before and after dumps, along with a description of what you did in between, or even take some snapshots as instructed.
No sir, all this math buffs and (professional) reverse engineers here will never be able to help you or understand this complicated stuff, no sir  >:D

LOL...   ;D    Indeed...

Offline wmj259

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:24:36 pm »
Hi,

I am having a similar issue with reading from a FairChild 93C56EiM8 chip.

I have an arduino and have been changing it up a bit, but am not able to read it successfully.
I found two codes, one being the tim0s Microwire and the other being http://ingenieriaencasa.blogspot.com/2017/03/leer-y-escribir-memoria-93cseries.html.

I did find a third code (http://forum.pvtech-ecu-research.com/viewtopic.php?t=3)  that seemed to give me reasonable results, but am not able to confirm. I did buy a chip programmer from ebay, but it doesnt support Microwire protocol.

My issue is that these codes have the ORG pin, but the chip  I have doesnt show that.
My chip data sheet:
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/161/FM93C56EM8-pdf.php.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf