Author Topic: Help on choosing a Fluke  (Read 9116 times)

Offline mdrjrTopic starter

Help on choosing a Fluke
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »
Hi guys,

I want to know what Fluke DMM would be a nice and yet not high dollar DMM for hobby?

I want to give an Fluke DMM for my uncle that has his hobby with eletronics.

At first glance I've checked the 87 after saw all Dave's videos.
They are going for $750 here in Brazil.

This is quite off the budget that I have ;(

The store that sells Fluke in here offered me the Fluke 117, again after checking Dave's videos I've found that the 117 is more like a eletrician DMM.

How, I'm here asking the experts. What would be a good and yet budget Fluke DMM for Eletronics?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Help on choosing a Fluke
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »
what sort of equipment does he already have ?

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:41 pm »
what sort of equipment does he already have ?

A generic, unbranded, 21 years old, chinese DMM ;(

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »
Have you considered a Agilent?

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »
Have you considered a Agilent?

Tbh, yes.

But I can't find a supplier locally.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 01:40:59 am »
So, they offered me the Fluke 177.

Is this a good DMM for hobby eletronics?

Its going for $500.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 03:08:38 am »
Olá,

I have a Fluke 179 (177 + temperature measurement) that works incredibly well for my electrical and electronics projects. Please check my review at the 179 page for my impressions about it. Upfront I can say the only true missing feature is the microamp range, but this can be easily overcome by Dave's microcurrent device.

Unfortunately Flukes are ridiculously expensive in Brasil, therefore if you are looking for a decent brand I would suggest Minipa... I had a Minipa ET2060 that served me incredibly well for 20 years, and a review from another user (here) reveals their build is quite reasonable. Check the specs of their models ET2101 and ET2110, which  seem really good for electronics usage (at a very reasonable price).

Boa sorte!
Rafael
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline jabramo

• Regular Contributor
Help on choosing a Fluke
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 04:16:56 am »
How about a fluke 17b? You'll have to order it from china but its good enough for hobby electronic use. Its around 100$ US.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:26:07 am »
In that case how about a UT61E? Better build quality than minipa and certainly more resolution of course, you'll have to buy it elsewhere online
How about a fluke 17b? You'll have to order it from china but its good enough for hobby electronic use. Its around 100$ US.
UNI-T manufactures them. It's somewhat a bad thing because it's not a genuine fluke as such

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:31:19 am »
Get a Brymen BM-867 :)

My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:57:35 am »
are you somehow restricted on the local market? Otherwise: ebay.com and look for sellers who ship outside the US
Sure it's more risky, but the prices you told are pretty.....well......shitty.....

You could also check with Agilent if they sell a meter on private basis. I already bought from Agilent here in Germany and they told me it's no problem.
http://www.home.agilent.com/pt/pc-1000004008%3Aepsg%3Apgr/handheld-digital-multimeter-clamp-and-calibrator-meters?nid=-34618.0&cc=BR&lc=por

Well, they list the local prices....So probably they also sell the stuff through their brasilian website...
otherwise check on the manufacturers websites (Agilent, Fluke, whoever). There you can often search for local distributors.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:45:09 am »
are you somehow restricted on the local market? Otherwise: ebay.com and look for sellers who ship outside the US
Sure it's more risky, but the prices you told are pretty.....well......shitty.....

You could also check with Agilent if they sell a meter on private basis. I already bought from Agilent here in Germany and they told me it's no problem.
http://www.home.agilent.com/pt/pc-1000004008%3Aepsg%3Apgr/handheld-digital-multimeter-clamp-and-calibrator-meters?nid=-34618.0&cc=BR&lc=por

Well, they list the local prices....So probably they also sell the stuff through their brasilian website...
otherwise check on the manufacturers websites (Agilent, Fluke, whoever). There you can often search for local distributors.

Achilles,

Yes, I'm locked to the local market. I don't want to go thru another importing process.
They are stupidly ridiculous here in Brazil.

But Achilles not only you showed me where to buy an Agilent, but your link also provided me the address of a sales rep on Brazil.
And its very close of my house!
Awesome! Can't thank you enough!

What Agilent would you recommend? I've saw their prices and they are alot cheaper them a Fluke.

I've saw two models: U1241 and U1273.

One thing that I didn't understand is that some DMM shows 1V for diode testing while others shows 2V.
Is this a issue?

We don't play with top notch stuff, the only diode that I've remember seeing and using was a 1N4007.

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 12:34:30 pm »

Achilles,

Yes, I'm locked to the local market. I don't want to go thru another importing process.
They are stupidly ridiculous here in Brazil.

But Achilles not only you showed me where to buy an Agilent, but your link also provided me the address of a sales rep on Brazil.
And its very close of my house!
Awesome! Can't thank you enough!

What Agilent would you recommend? I've saw their prices and they are alot cheaper them a Fluke.

I've saw two models: U1241 and U1273.

One thing that I didn't understand is that some DMM shows 1V for diode testing while others shows 2V.
Is this a issue?

We don't play with top notch stuff, the only diode that I've remember seeing and using was a 1N4007.

You're welcome....

Well, the U1273A may be too much. It may be a nice meter, but probably you won't use/need the advantages like Low Impedance measuring, Datalogging, filter and so on. It is more aimed for those who work in industrial spaces and have to think about inducted voltage due to high magnetic fields or High frequency stuff.....
It may be a great meter, but probably too much for just playing around a bit and more confusing with all the special functions.

The U1241B or U1242B is what I would suggest for a hobbyist when we are talking about Agilent. There is also the U123x Series, but these are more for electrical systems rather than electronics.

I think here in the board was a tear down and review of the U1242B. I also thought about that meter, but then had a nice discount where my U1253B was just about 70EUro more expensive than the U1242B....otherwise I would have bought the U1242B instead.....
For long time logging and so on I have the U1272A which is more or less similar to the U1273A, but has a normal LCD screen. The OLED can be pretty hard to read when you work under sunlight....and from my experience in French Guyana.....you'll have a lot of that ;)

If you buy one at your dealer, ask for the free bluetooth dongle (U1177A). You can use that one to pair the meter with your Android phone or a Laptop. I think until March they have a special where you get that one for free when you buy a meter. I am not sure if they also have that special in Brasil, but it may be worth asking.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »
I'm going through the same thing trying to decide between a Fluke 87V and a 28ii.  I don't need it to be bomb/water proof and I like the fact that the 28V will test LEDs (2V is not enough).  I can get the 28V with accessories for a little less than a28ii with nothing so I will probably go in that direction.  Why Fluke?  because my 20+ year old Fluke 75 has been through years of field service hell and it's still dead on.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »
Achilles,

Thank you so much!

I'm going on the U1242B as your advice.

I'll call the Agilent rep on Brasil right now!

Once again, Thank you so much and Thank you again for providing the Bluetooth tip.
That's an awesome feature! :)

Edit: Got the U1242B + U1177 (Bluetooth) for 450$ ~R$850.

The Bluetooth thing is valid only for US, Mexico and Canada.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:01:56 pm by mdrjr »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf