Author Topic: Help removing rosin from PCB  (Read 7335 times)

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help removing rosin from PCB
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:09 pm »
I think people get poor results with IPA if they let the alcohol just evaporate naturally after brushing. You end up with a PCB sticky all over the place.

You need to scrape/brush off that rosin-dissolved alcohol off the board, AND then follow up with clean alcohol and wipe/pat-dry. The pat-dry and wiping is important too.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Help removing rosin from PCB
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 07:42:26 pm »
I know that this is a subject on which there are loads of posts, both here and elsewhere. But I really haven't had found a solution that works for me.

I am working on a project where it is not only import that it functions correctly, but that the finished PCB looks pristine as well. I do not want to have spatters of flux all over the place. The general advice seems to be that the flux can be removed with 100% IPA. However, that doesn't work properly for me. What seems to happen is that the flux dissolves in the IPA so it seems to be removed. However, the rosin is still there, dissolved in the IPA. As the IPA evaporates, the rosin comes out of solution. I then no longer have splatters of rosin on the PCB, instead I now have a more widely distributed sticky layer on the PCB which then acts as a dust and fluff magnet.

Any suggestions massively appreciated.

At the day job we use something called Detergent 8. No-foaming, easy to rinse off with de-ionized water. Scrub with a toothbrush, done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf