Author Topic: Help to identify a component  (Read 5852 times)

Offline cs.dkTopic starter

• Supporter
Help to identify a component
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:03:04 pm »
Does anyone have a clue what this is? The PCB is from a Bosch MP 5.2 engine management.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Help to identify a component
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »
Bosch part number B58221 = 93S46 (not 93C46)

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »
Thanks alot - How did you identify that?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:56 pm »
google :) http://chipgods.com/showthread.php?t=54
You should also find eeprom dump for this ECU as I see, otherwise it unlikely to work. Btw check power, as this IC is cracked, there might be a fault so other IC's might be dead as well.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:26:09 pm by wraper »

Offline Zepnat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:40:10 pm »
Wondering why it would fail, surely a EEPROM is quite a low stressed part. Maybe someone put the incorrect battery on (polarity reversed). The amount of information and helpful people out there never ceases to amaze me can you believe still look down on the internet as something evil.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »
Wondering why it would fail, surely a EEPROM is quite a low stressed part. Maybe someone put the incorrect battery on (polarity reversed). The amount of information and helpful people out there never ceases to amaze me can you believe still look down on the internet as something evil.
If the conditions were bad enough to make an EEPROM release magic smoke, I don't think much of the other ICs on that board would have survived.

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 01:15:22 pm »
Maybe the ECU is dead - But can someone recommend a reader/writer for that type of ROM?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniPro-TL866CS-Universal-USB-BIOS-Programmer-EEPROM-FLASH-8051-AVR-GAL-PIC-SPI-/151134282708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23304e23d4 Something like this is cheapest if you want too keep it for further use, it can also program parallel eprom/flash.  There is likely a mask rom on this board but you can change it to eprom or flash if needed. If you going to buy for one time use, then just buy cheapest you can get that supports this IC. Be sure that it supports 93S series, not just 93C, otherwise you may get trouble to write it as it has additional write protection. Also buy an adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SO8-SOP8-To-DIP8-EZ-Programmer-Adapter-Converter-Module-For-Wide-150-Mile-/261382411707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdb9b15bb if you don't want to be soldering bodge wires or adapter pcb to be able program it.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 02:00:03 pm »
Wow something blew the ass out of that eeprom, damn!

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »
Thanks alot - Would that little device read and write a new EEPROM?

It is so cheap, i'll order it anyway.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »
Thanks alot - Would that little device read and write a new EEPROM?
It is so cheap, i'll order it anyway.
It seems quite unlikely that you can revive that gadget even if you CAN replace that component with an equivalent with the same content.
If that part blew up so catastrophically, it is an extremely bad omen for many/most of the other parts, especially the semiconductors.
I would declare that unit Dead On Arrival, and not possible to revive.

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »
Ohh okay - But the reader/writer would be nice for other projects. It's not a 50K$ instrument.

So, everyone in here says the complete ECU is dead?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

So, everyone in here says the complete ECU is dead?
You should check what is on power rail when it is powered. If there is much more than 5V on eeprom power, then likely ICs on the same rail are dead. Try to google ECU pinout and connect it to bench or just some 12V PSU, then measure. Also you can just connect power to the input of the voltage regulator IC  for that rail and see if output is OK. If it is Ok, then it is very likely only eeprom is faulty, otherwise it might be a lemon. But measure resistance between power and GND as there might be short within this IC or some another. If it measures short, desolder eeprom and measure again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf