Author Topic: Help with basic DC circuit accepting charging input  (Read 1136 times)

Offline MannixaTopic starter

Help with basic DC circuit accepting charging input
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:45:44 am »
This is a basic wiring I have done for running a 12VDC appliance off my lead battery while simultaneously having an input charging source.
https://ibb.co/nxFHvG
My understanding is when the charger is connected the connected appliance (fridge) drawing power will take it from the highest voltage which will always be the charger. So the battery capacity will remain untouched.

Or does some of the charger's electricity make it to the batteries terminals topping it up if the fridge is not consuming too much power?

Just looking to understand if this kind of wiring setup is done ok & safely. And I'm not sure about electricity & how it works so wanted to ask.

Offline MannixaTopic starter

Re: Help with basic DC circuit accepting charging input
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:21:09 am »
thanks for those with nothing better to do than view & not give an answer. horrible internet pieces of shit

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:30:37 am »
2017-12-05 T 09:45:44 to 2017-12-06 T 08:21:09.
That's only 22 hours 35 minutes 25 seconds.

You should reavaluate your comment to expect answers, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:35:56 am by Jeroen3 »

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:56:21 am »
My understanding is when the charger is connected the connected appliance (fridge) drawing power will take it from the highest voltage which will always be the charger. So the battery capacity will remain untouched.

Or does some of the charger's electricity make it to the batteries terminals topping it up if the fridge is not consuming too much power?

You understand correctly. Think watertank for battery, filling hose for solar charger and tank tap for appliance. As long as the filling hose fills at the same rate as the tap is using water, nothing changes. If the filling hose delivers less water the level in the tank goes down and if the filling hose delivers more water than the tap uses the tank level goes up.

Just looking to understand if this kind of wiring setup is done ok & safely. And I'm not sure about electricity & how it works so wanted to ask.

I am not qualified to tell you if this setup is ok and safe. maybe someone else is.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:41 am »
thanks for those with nothing better to do than view & not give an answer. horrible internet pieces of shit
My apologies. But you must understand that we had our annual Sinterklaas party yesterday. Lots of kadootjes, gedichten, speculaas, pepernoten, chocoladeletters, children in a sugar coma, drinks, heavy discussions around Zwarte Piet, more drinks, fights and what not. So I first had to sleep this off, have my morning coffees and fire up the PC before I could answer your urgent question.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:01:14 am »

Wow.  Entitled millennial?

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf