Author Topic: Help with soldering smd chips  (Read 10186 times)

Offline zzattack

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help with soldering smd chips
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 12:15:59 am »
I find it just as amazing how he can remove chips so quickly, yet his passives never fly around even though he doesn't tape anything down. I'd guess he uses a low blower speed with high temperature.
Yep, that's the trick.  ;)
Each of us has limits of what we are comfortable doing and if I don't need to use paste, I hand solder.... SMD rework....out comes the hot air station.  :)
So what kind of temperature range would this be? Well over 350°C? Over 400?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 12:32:45 am »
I find it just as amazing how he can remove chips so quickly, yet his passives never fly around even though he doesn't tape anything down. I'd guess he uses a low blower speed with high temperature.
Yep, that's the trick.  ;)
Each of us has limits of what we are comfortable doing and if I don't need to use paste, I hand solder.... SMD rework....out comes the hot air station.  :)
So what kind of temperature range would this be? Well over 350°C? Over 400?
Don't know and don't really care.  :box:
For my "dumb" rework station the hot air pencil I use the smallest tip I have, ~3mm, max heat and blower speed ~1/2. Too much flow especially if not directly above will shift components and if the nozzle is too close to your work.

It's not a reflow oven where temp profiles need be right for a satisfactory result, you need to "drive" a rework station based on some small experience. Practice and learn.  ;)
Get some broken PCB's and have a fiddle, just be aware anything modern is likely be be made with that Pb free muck that seems to have been invented to make SMD rework a nightmare.  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 09:13:01 am »
For my techniques and experiences, see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/03/25/assembling-pcbs-with-surface-mount-components/ Given it was my first SMD board, I was pleasantly surprised at the degree of success.

TL;DR: the minimum special equipment is solder paste, jeweller's screwdriver, tweezers, head-mounted magnification visor, saucepan, and some sand. Note the lack of a soldering iron. Mistakes (e.g. bridges) can be rectified with a soldering iron, solder wick, and liquid flux.

If you want to desolder and solder individual SMD devices, a hot air gun and polyimide tape is desirable. The tape is used to deflect air away from components that are not to be changed. After practice, I've used them to successfully replace the infamous caps and R2013 shown in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/msg614937/#msg614937
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline spacedementia87Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:44 pm »
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I seem to have managed to good solder joint today!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf