Author Topic: HID´s  (Read 3439 times)

Offline alentjeTopic starter

• Contributor
HID´s
« on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:31 pm »
Hi guys!

It´s me again with another problem... I want to install some HID´s on my scooter but the standard wiring is connected to the alternator thus it supplies AC voltage which will not work with an HID ballast. I tried adding a rectifier but it didn´t work because the voltage is not steady - I get about 9VAC when my engine is running on idle and the HID bulb is flickering and sometimes even not working on idle.

So i want to cut the yellow wire going from the alternator to the light switch, and connecting the black wire to the yellow one going from the battery to the ignition switch. So now when i turn my key, i get 12VDC from my battery to my lights switch and then to my bulb connector. I know that i need a new fuse (factory one is 5A as you can see on the pic) but how can i know if the wiring isn´t going to melt? The ballast will draw about 8-15 Amps on startup for about 10 to 20 seconds, depending on what HID kit i buy. After that it will draw about 3 to 5 amps. 

So what wire gauge do i need and how do i know if my current wiring is enough? Everything on my bike that needs switched dc power draws power from that ignition switch and that black wire.

Complete wiring diagram will be below in second post

Thanks,

- alentje

• Contributor
Re: HID´s
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:36:00 pm »
Diagram in attatchment:

If the wires can´t handle he amp draw, i will get a make or break relay...

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:34:31 pm »
I´m confused with everything above.. I will take the easier way, schematic that i made is below in attatchment. When i get my HID kit i´ll get my Flukey out and measure the amperage draw. Will 9VDC trigger the relay?

Thanks,

-  alentje

Offline Zepnat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:45:30 am »
The problem I see is if you cut the wire to the switch as in your original idea that should work but all the lights will be running off the battery charge circuit instead of alternator ac winding and will probably kill battery/alternator. The relay should work as the offload (no bulb) voltage should be higher than the 9V measured. Just curious how the dip/main bean is gonna work with a HID bulb, are there two bulbs in head lamp?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:50:28 am by Zepnat »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:24:36 am »
Yes, there are two bulbs in there, i just want to use one bulb because my scooter has a low beam in a projector housing and high beam in a reflector, so i am going to use just the low beam projector. My friend has the same setup but on another scooter and his battery is charging about 11.6VDC while riding. And his battery is never low

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:55:57 am »
BTW i´m just going to use the dip beam from the HID kit in my projector housing. Just want to ask if this wiring would charge a bigger battery, more Ah?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:27:59 am »
Not going to need a bigger battery, but might require an upgrading of the charging circuit to the bike to handle the increased load. The "Rectifier regulator" which probably is just a high power diode and a voltage regulator will need a much bigger diode connected across yellow and red to handle the increased current draw otherwise it may fail. Try initially with the relay to switch the light initially and see if the rectifier gets a lot hotter than normal.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:37 pm »
Ok, ill try it as soon as i get my hid kit. So the battery i charged from the stator -> rectifier -> voltage regulator. The voltage regulator keeps the voltage from overpowering the battery?

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 08:27:33 pm »
offtopic: I don't want to buy a new multimeter but i need to measure temperature with it. I have a brand new Fluke 117. What temperature probe do i need? I saw these cheap k-type ones but these won't fit in my Common and positive port.. Is there any adapter for it? How is it called? And when i connect the k-type temp. probe, how do i read the temperature, is 10mV 10 degrees celcius? And does the probe need any power?

Thanks,

-  alentje

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf