Author Topic: high quality sine wave ?  (Read 13798 times)

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
high quality sine wave ?
« on: March 17, 2017, 04:38:46 pm »
Primarily for audio applications I'm looking to add high quality sine and maybe square waves.

I already have a Digilent Analog Discovery, so want a step up from that.

I see categories of function generators and arbitrary waveform generators and even something like the Keithley 2015+THD.  I'm sure there are also vintage boxes that could be well suited to this task.  Not sure what would serve me best.

Other supporting equipment is an HP334A and Rigol DS1054 scope.

Any suggestions for new or old equipment to look into?

BK

The following users thanked this post: electrolust

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: high quality sine wave ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 04:54:16 pm »
For used you might consider the Tektronix SG505 (with TM5xx mainframe). Should be THD < 0.0008%/-102 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz. Together with the AA501 (measures THD) this was the predecessor to the Audio Precision One. Can regularly be found on eBay.

I believe the sine wave oscillator in the Keithley 2015+THD was quite mediocre.

I do not think you will find an instrument doing both square waves (beyond sync output) and low distortion sine waves. There are some function generators that do a decent job (THD < 70 dB), but they do not come close to the dedicated oscillators like the SG505.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:33:20 pm »
Unless you're lucky enough to find a nice analogue sinewave oscillator on ebay (they do come up sometimes), your best bet is probably to build one or more spot frequency oscillators, eg. 1kHz and 10kHz.

There are plenty of designs around for Wein bridge oscillators, or possibly Twin-T type. Actual component cost is minimal, a couple of decent opamps and some Rs and Cs (and possibly a torch bulb). Using fixed frequencies makes it easier to tweak component values for absolute minimum distortion and also lets you put them in a small screened boxs with a battery (no ground loops or PSU noise). You also need to include some output attenuation.

Square waves aren't a problem, you can easily knock up an oscillator with some CMOS logic (probably 74HC).
Best Regards, Chris

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:37:28 pm »
You could try building your own. There are many circuits out there based on the original unit that HP is famous for developing.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:59:25 pm »
I do not know for what application you need this sine wave generator.

I do a lot of repairs of vintage amplifiers and I use a function generator by making this approximation: distortion of the device in test = measured distortion less the distortion of the generator (0.3% in my case)

On the other hand, since the distortion of the transistor amplifiers is always very low due to the high feedback rate, I make such measurements only on tube amplifiers to optimize the polarization.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:22:34 pm »
What are your specs for "high quality" ? How do you want to control
amplitude and frequency ? Describe the application in a more complete
fashion,g. specs, interfaces, etc.. so forum can help you better.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 12:47:07 am »
Primarily for audio applications ...

if "audio applications" have anything to do with qualifying audio signal processing electronics or amplifiers to human listening limits

it would mean you really don't have to look for technically "high quality sine" by easily achieved electronics for a long while now

there are "low distortion sinewave generator nutz" similar to the Vref and Time types - but none are really that important to engineering products for audio reproduction

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 02:06:36 am »
Thanks folks for the great input.  Lots to follow up on.  Obviously I came to the right place.

I should point out that I'm not an EE or professional, just an idiot hobbyist who enjoys building audio amplifiers and related equipment and likes good tools and making (potentially unnecessary) measurements.  For example on some creations I want to measure and tweak the dominant harmonics and phase.  My impression is that the sine output of for example the Digilent or even the Keithley 2015+THD is marginal for this sort of thing, and alm picked up on that right away.

This is the "Beginners" area, but perhaps my subject line was misleading.  I don't think I'm looking for/need state of the art performance, but if I can get most of the way there for a modest investment that would be great.  Definitely want to avoid getting the wrong tool for the job.

Appreciate the input!   :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 02:50:06 am »
Have a look at both the SDG2000X and 1000X AWG's.
While THD is only 0.075 %, there's some nice stuff you can do with phase adjustments like in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/a-valentine's-day-activity-for-your-scope-and-function-generator/

The SDG1000X series have the ability to do sine and square waves to the full frequency of the model.
http://siglentamerica.com/pd.aspx?tid=16&T=1

All the documentation is there, just drill down to find it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 02:58:01 am »

And here on EEVblog a year or two ago was a thread, I think in the Buy Sell Wanted section about someone that had been selling ultra low distortion sine oscillators of some kind but ceased selling the kits / products but had the schematics and such available for free download.  I can't find it at the moment but some searching should turn it up.

Looks like this thread?  Files apparently pulled May 2016 and AWOL.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/who-would-like-an-ultra-low-distortion-audio-oscillator-pcb/

BK

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 05:34:59 pm »
Another DIY project:
http://www.janascard.cz/PDF/An%20ultra%20low%20distortion%20oscillator%20with%20THD%20below%20-140%20dB.pdf

Interesting, I just did that project a few months ago.  It does create a sine wave which looks quite good.  I have not had the ability to completely test it out so far for the claimed THD.

Have You Been Triggered Today?

The following users thanked this post: RGK

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 07:21:29 pm »
better "prosumer" soundcards/usb digital audio interfaces of the past decade do comfortably better than -100 dB for THD, Noise, Spurs, better than -120 dB harmonics possible with some

for audio testing these are the cheapest, most flexible source/measure devices - with free software tools too

if you  want to get into "numbers games" - with notch filter and gain you can make spot measurements deep in the noise floor, averaging long records

way beyond human hearing limits for audio reproduction systems with rational "gain structure"/sensitivity set for natural live music sound levels
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:32:12 pm by f5r5e5d »

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 08:40:07 pm »
Thanks for that.  Any links to a BOM or builds?  Likely more of a project than I'm after right now, but interesting.

BK

*forgot to quote - remark is WRT evb149 glensstuff .zip file*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:44:19 pm by RGK »

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 08:41:38 pm »
Very nice.  Did you make your own board or get it from Janascard?  I've made an inquiry to them.

BK

*forgot to quote - remark is WRT to JoeN Janascard oscillator project*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:45:46 pm by RGK »

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 09:26:08 pm »
Thanks for that.  Any links to a BOM or builds?  Likely more of a project than I'm after right now, but interesting.

BK

*forgot to quote - remark is WRT evb149 glensstuff .zip file*

Ah, links to useful diyA threads from the buy/sell/trade link.  Component BOM is ~$185 but the project is deleted/not supported by the designer, so could be a bridge too far in my case.

BK

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:50 pm »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:03 pm »
Very nice.  Did you make your own board or get it from Janascard?  I've made an inquiry to them.

BK

I laid it out in DipTrace and ordered it from OSHPark.  I can't say my layout is an expert layout, I simply tried to make sure all the parts were laid out intelligently and as closely as possible to their dependent parts and used a four layer board with three of the layers for the three rails planes, bottom one (-15V) with some signals too.  Power input connector was one I already had, SMA output was my choice.  Diodes, resistors, zeners, pots, capacitors were parts I chose myself.  On the Linear sheet Jim Williams says to use ceramic capacitors nowhere, so I did what he advised, using only electrolytic and PET capacitors, and the 47pF capacitor is mica.  Someone else might design with different parts for those, the PDF didn't specify specific exact passive parts and connectors.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:43:26 pm by JoeN »

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:55 am »
"no ceramic" is painting with too broad a brush

NP0 is a low k ceramic dielectric that gives near perfect distortion performance excepting for some leaded types possibly having bad end metallization/lead attachment issues

Mica is a very variable natural material that can be as poor as better Mylar

and Mylar/Polyester is the worst common plastic film dielectric - Polypropylene is better, Polystyrene measures best for low audio frequency distortion

Cyril Bateman's "Capacitor Sound" series did serious measurements, Bruce Hofer of Audio Precision gives simailar recommendations in his seminars/presentations

the http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/205304-low-distortion-audio-range-oscillator.html has many measurements, references, commentary if you really want to get into a analog oscillator build

I would just recommend a decent soundcard like the ESI Juli@

from the diyAudio thread, showing 24 bit mode may be necessary to even see the distortion:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:27:01 am by f5r5e5d »

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 02:45:40 am »

BK

I laid it out in DipTrace and ordered it from OSHPark.  I can't say my layout is an expert layout, I simply tried to make sure all the parts were laid out intelligently and as closely as possible to their dependent parts and used a four layer board with three of the layers for the three rails planes, bottom one (-15V) with some signals too.  Power input connector was one I already had, SMA output was my choice.  Diodes, resistors, zeners, pots, capacitors were parts I chose myself.  On the Linear sheet Jim Williams says to use ceramic capacitors nowhere, so I did what he advised, using only electrolytic and PET capacitors, and the 47pF capacitor is mica.  Someone else might design with different parts for those, the PDF didn't specify specific exact passive parts and connectors.

Thanks for that and also evb149 for bringing it up.  Bought the oscillator PCB and also the notch filter PCB from Janascard.  Will update after it arrives to compare layout.  So I guess I'll end up with a state-of-the-art sine wave after all....

BK

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 02:59:35 am »
For ultra-pure sinewave generation I drool over the Krohn Hite 4402... Someday I will get one.  :-/O
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 03:00:10 am »
Bought the oscillator PCB and also the notch filter PCB from Janascard.  Will update after it arrives to compare layout.  So I guess I'll end up with a state-of-the-art sine wave after all....

BK

I never saw that they offered it for sale.  I checked their site again and I still don't see it.  http://www.janascard.cz/aHome.html   Is it offered somewhere else or did you simply ask them?

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 03:51:03 am »
Bought the oscillator PCB and also the notch filter PCB from Janascard.  Will update after it arrives to compare layout.  So I guess I'll end up with a state-of-the-art sine wave after all....

BK

I never saw that they offered it for sale.  I checked their site again and I still don't see it.  http://www.janascard.cz/aHome.html   Is it offered somewhere else or did you simply ask them?

Yep, inquired by email and heard back promptly.  $33 paypal later boards are on the way.  I'm not skilled enough to do my own PCB layout!

BK

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 03:56:07 am »
For ultra-pure sinewave generation I drool over the Krohn Hite 4402... Someday I will get one.  :-/O

Nice!

BK

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:48 pm »
Almost as good as the K-H 4402 is the -hp- 339A THD analyzer, which includes a low-distortion generator.  The residual distortion in mine measures about 0.002% (-94 dB) which should be good enough for any normal applicatioin.  Units such as the 339A have the advantage that the analyzer tunes directly to the internal oscillator frequency, and will lock to an external oscillator when the frequency is approximately correct.  Also, the indicated fraction of distortion scales automatically to the input signal.  You can learn a lot about the DUT by analyzing the distortion output signal, which has the fundamental removed.

Offline RGKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 11:53:36 pm »
Will a good oscillator + the HP 334A be just as good as the HP 339A?  I picked up two of the former, which set me on a path for a decent 1kHz sinewave reference.  Looking at the distortion output with fundamental removed was definitely part of my plan.

How does the K-H 4400 compare to the K-H 4402?

BK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf