Author Topic: Hitachi V-1060 Refurbished for $250  (Read 6088 times)

Offline otechTopic starter

Hitachi V-1060 Refurbished for $250
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:56:54 am »
Hello everyone

Never owned a oscilloscope and recently started learning on a digital scope (find myself hitting that auto button often)
Anyway I really want to learn how to use a oscilloscope the right way and want to practice on a analog one (just as Dave suggested  ;D )
I'm basically looking for a good 100mhz analog scope , something guaranteed to be working great. 
I saw a Hitachi V-1060 refurbished with 2 probes for $250? seems high but is the 1060 A good analog scope and is it worth the price tag?

What other analog models would you recommend?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Hitachi V-1060 Refurbished for $250
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:06 am »
Where do you live? If you're in the US like I am, that's way too high.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:24:44 am »
You can buy those in the US any day of the week for less than $100 USD
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:29:01 am »
Way too expensive. Not even worth half that.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:31:23 am »
The OP want's a scope that is guaranteed to work and if the scope he is looking at is from a commercial source and has really been refurbished and calibrated and comes with a warranty it is surely not a bad price as he can go back for service or refund if the unit does not work as described.
Bear in mind he is looking for a CRO that will work out of the box, the advent of cheap Chinese DSO has somewhat skewed the market perception on prices for scopes and what it costs to sell repaired CRO's. 

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, the advise/suggestions are appreciated.  I know this type of question must get asked often ;D

On a side note I found a tektronix 475 with the dm44 attachment left behind by a lab at work. I asked my boss for it and he is going to see if I can keep it. Power cord was cut off, I temporarily connected it to power and it turns on and it seems to work ok screen is very shaky but it does generate a signal, just did a quick signal check ..connected to ac volts to see the ac cycle.

Anyway nothing beats free, hope I get to keep it and maybe the screen problem is a simple fix.
If not my search continues.

But yeah like I said if I buy one I definitely want one that is in good working order to avoid confusion and frustration since I am just beginning to learn how to use this stuff.

Thanks you all

alm

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:49:14 am »
Unstable screen could just be dirty switches, intermittent connections or dried out caps. Still, a 475 is a complex beast which may not be trivial to fix.

I don't consider mains a good test signal for scopes in unknown state, what if some clown cut the ground connection and there's a short inside? A cut off power cord would generally signal some sort of defect. The probe compensation signal usually provides a convenient signal to test basic functionality, unless the compensation signal is broken ;).

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:49 pm »
Unstable screen could just be dirty switches, intermittent connections or dried out caps. Still, a 475 is a complex beast which may not be trivial to fix.

I don't consider mains a good test signal for scopes in unknown state, what if some clown cut the ground connection and there's a short inside? A cut off power cord would generally signal some sort of defect. The probe compensation signal usually provides a convenient signal to test basic functionality, unless the compensation signal is broken ;).

They cut the cords on all equipment considered for discard where I work, regardless if its functioning or not. They throw away some good stuff here. :o

I checked ground before plugging it in and connected it a isolation transformer and slowly increased voltage to it while watching the amps draw just to make sure the unit didn't have a short or what not.

I just wanted to see if it had any form of life yesterday so I did a mains test and also did the probe compensation signal test and it was good. Just a very shaky screen.
If they say I can keep it I will take a crack at it, clean the switches etc it may be way beyond my scope of knowledge but I'm a strong believer in learning through experimentation...especially when it doesn't cost me anything  :-DD

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Offline Seg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:37:59 pm »
lol I just bought that LG OS-5100, was listed on Craigslist, local pickup no shipping. I did not know it was listed on eBay. :)

Offline strobot

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 03:27:04 am »
Ripoff.  I bought a Hitachi V-1565 in excellent condition for 125USD shipped about a month ago on ebay. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:31:01 am by strobot »

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 04:15:18 am »
V-1060 is probably worth $80, maybe another ten if it's in top shape. 1065 or 1565 a bit more.

Keep looking; I just got a good condition 2465A with storage pouch, front cover (fits my 2467B), and two probe kits for $105 shipped.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf