Author Topic: How a classic diode ring mixer works  (Read 6209 times)

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
How a classic diode ring mixer works
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:01:27 am »
My latest video describes how a classic, double-balanced, diode-ring mixer operates.  The basic theory is presented, along with a circuit description and measurements on the bench.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline bobcat

• Regular Contributor
Re: How a classic diode ring mixer works
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:00:43 pm »
Nice simple explanation of the basic function. Thanks---

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:27:36 pm »
Can't underestimate your statement about impedance matching requirements (on all three ports to some degree) to reach best rated performance of such passive mixers.

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »
Thanks

I've always been completely mystified whenever I've looked a mixer circuit, now I'm not.

Offline Odysseus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:23:57 am »
Great video, just like the rest, as I've discovered! Seriously, watching your channel was all I did this weekend.
I had seen the diode ring mixer schematic and the use of diodes as switches before, but now it really clicks for me.

I'm curious about the feed-through / isolation characteristics of the diode ring mixer.  Seems to me that mismatch in forward voltage of the diodes would manifest itself as increased feed-through of the LO.  I've also seen schematics where the center tapped port is used as an input.  I wonder what advantages/disadvantages that has in a practical circuit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:27:32 am by Odysseus »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 06:38:02 am »
The ports are all symmetrical, but if it's transformer coupled, you obviously can't get DC out the two transformers, but you can between the CTs.  For BFO type SSB detection, you'd want the BFO on one transformer, IF on the other, and audio comes from the center taps.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »
Excellent video, as always!  :-+

One question that popped up for me was how you choose the number of windings for the transformers? Is there some extra material you can link that helps explain that part? I can understand that if I wanted to adjust this mixer design for a different frequency range, that I would need to adjust the diodes used, but how would I go about figuring out what I need to change in terms of the transformers?

Thanks again!

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:16:48 pm »
Excellent video, as always!  :-+

One question that popped up for me was how you choose the number of windings for the transformers? Is there some extra material you can link that helps explain that part? I can understand that if I wanted to adjust this mixer design for a different frequency range, that I would need to adjust the diodes used, but how would I go about figuring out what I need to change in terms of the transformers?

Thanks again!

Most broadband RF transformers for MF/HF bands are made using ferrite cores because the high permeability means that fewer turns are needed.  This makes it easier to wind several wires on the same core, and minimizes problems with resonant problems in the windings.  A good rule of thumb is to make the inductive reactance of the windings be 4-5x the impedance of the circuit that they're being used in.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf