Author Topic: How do I protect I2C from ESD?  (Read 24463 times)

Offline SlowBroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How do I protect I2C from ESD?
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:53:21 am »
How do I protect I2C from ESD? The best solution seems to be two steering diodes with a zener clamp like the attached. But what values of diodes should I use? Any other components?

I'm going to be using I2C with at least one 1m shielded cable, maybe two, and I don't want my Raspberry Pi to get zapped. I'm going to try to run my speed at 10 kHz for reliability but I may need to pump it up a bit higher some day. And everything will be through hole.

I've been poring over Google but not found much useful. There's this document, but no values are given:
https://assets.nexperia.com/documents/leaflet/75017664.pdf

This Stack Exchange mentions some values, but I think I need more values to make an informed decision? Anyway the two steering diodes seems a better solution. This (I believe?) adds unnecessary capacitance.
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/292140/why-is-a-resistor-needed-in-zener-protection-circuit
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:15:18 am by SlowBro »

Offline bson

• Supporter
Re: How do I protect I2C from ESD?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:09:57 am »
A 5V TVS avalanche diode that reverse breaks down to ground.  Such as a Littlefuse SP0502.  Ground goes on the common anode terminal and the signals on the cathodes.  You can use 5V TVS diodes for 3.3V (they're not that exact anyway), unless what you're protecting is super sensitive (which shouldn't be the case with an I2C bus).

The following users thanked this post: SlowBro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:26:23 am »
Okay so any other parameters of the TVS I should look for? Voltage, time, current, leakage, all that? And it needs to be through hole, I forgot to mention that.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
How do I protect I2C from ESD?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:31:29 am »
If your project can afford it, I have used this chip in the past:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/scps144c/scps144c.pdf

Seemed to work as advertised.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:39:02 am by Dubbie »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:11:05 pm »
Dubbie: Whew, price ouch. And not through-hole.

bson: Also how would you protect against negative spikes with just one TVS? Edit: Oh. The diode you recommended is an array. Could you share a circuit example?

By the way it's listed as obsolete on DigiKey. You should probably start looking for a replacement.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:20:59 pm by SlowBro »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:40:21 pm »
A 5V TVS avalanche diode that reverse breaks down to ground.  Such as a Littlefuse SP0502.

Can't seem to find an equivalent in through-hole. This one has a 35pF capacitance according to DigiKey (datasheet says 70pF but even that is still acceptable for me) but the reverse break down is 418V. Wayyyyy above 5V....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:03:53 pm by SlowBro »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:52:42 pm »
By preference I would use BAT41 small signal schottky diodes between the signal lines and ground and Vcc along with a zener diode clamp or shunt regulator between Vcc and ground.  There are more complex and higher performance ways to do this using diodes and bipolar transistors but that is where I would start.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 02:06:10 pm »
By preference I would use BAT41 small signal schottky diodes between the signal lines and ground and Vcc along with a zener diode clamp or shunt regulator between Vcc and ground.  There are more complex and higher performance ways to do this using diodes and bipolar transistors but that is where I would start.

Okay that's helpful. So with a layout similar as to what I posted in the OP? Schottkys on the signal lines and a zener to clamp what gets through to ground?

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
I would think that one of the parameters that you should closely look at, regardless of the device you choose,  is junction capacitance....more so if you are using high speed I2C.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:49:37 pm »

Okay that's helpful. So with a layout similar as to what I posted in the OP? Schottkys on the signal lines and a zener to clamp what gets through to ground?

The zener diode clamps the supply voltage to ground in case the protection diodes connected to the positive supply pull it higher.  It may not be required if the positive supply is stiff enough.  Essentially it is just a backup shunt regulator.

I would think that one of the parameters that you should closely look at, regardless of the device you choose,  is junction capacitance....more so if you are using high speed I2C.

Junction capacitance is a primary selection criteria at high speeds.  The BAT41 schottky diode is 100 volts, 100mA, 0.1uA, and 2pF making it useful in lots of applications so I keep them available.  The ubiquitous 1N4148/1N914 and 1N4448/1N916 silicon diodes are also suitable but have a higher forward voltage drop. 

The BAT81/BAT82/BAT83/SD101A/SD101B/SD101C schottky diodes are lower capacitance but also have a lower current rating.  The BAT42/BAT43 and BAT46 schottky diodes are higher current but have a higher capacitance.

Any of the above should work at typical I2C speeds.  I would even use germanium 1N270s if they were all I had available at the time although they might be slower than all of the above.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:56 pm »

Did I do this correctly? And how do I determine what the wattages of the components should be?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:30:33 pm by SlowBro »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 02:25:43 am »
Did I do this correctly? And how do I determine what the wattages of the components should be?

That is correct but zener diode D5 should be slightly higher in value.  Check the tolerances given in the datasheet for the zener diode to make sure it is not going to conduct at the worst case nominal supply voltage.  A higher value series resistor will increase the protection and the higher its peak voltage rating the better.  A 50 or 100 volt resistor is not going to do much for a 1000 volt ESD pulse when it flashes over.  Higher wattage resistors are higher voltage but they make special high voltage resistors also.  I would put series resistors on both sides of the shunt diodes.

Diodes are usually rated by forward current rather than wattage.  But the peak current they can sustain increases dramatically for short pulses because of the thermal capacity of the silicon die.  The 100mA BAT41 is a compromise for minimum capacitance but larger current diodes like the 350mA BAT48 could be used if 10 times the capacitance and 50 times the leakage is acceptable which it probably is for IC2.  1 amp schottky rectifier diodes might be too large.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:26:30 am by David Hess »

The following users thanked this post: SlowBro, Ario

Offline sreeb

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 03:13:34 am »
All HDMI/DVI interfaces contain an I2C interface.  A little reverse engineering of some consumer electronics should give you a solid solution.  If you only need one, you may find something you cannibalize.

Offline AllTheGearNoIdea

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 02:00:16 pm »
Just thought that I would chip in here with some general ignorance. . I  have been working with a system that uses serial memory devices that are plugged into  and out of a panels all day long every day hundreds of installation  a thousand panels for over 15 years and never had a single I2C failure of any type.

From memory the only ESD protection implemented is some series resistance and also whatever ESD protection is built into I2C buffer.  I would suggest you consider mechanical considerations and the Mechanism of how the ESD is actually going to enter your device.   In my case the I2C device plugged in is relatively small and  has a nonconductive wrapper and the actual terminal are touch-proof.

I’m not saying this is the solution works for everyone but don’t ignore the working environment and obvious mechanical solutions etc.  I work in industrial sector it could be different in a dry hospital folding nylon bed sheets etc.

If this is a one off project I wouldnt even consider additional protection. Chances are it will never see ESD damage and if it does replace the pie.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:06:56 pm by AllTheGearNoIdea »
AllTheGearNoIdea Where Its All About The Gear

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 02:15:53 pm »
Okay so any other parameters of the TVS I should look for? Voltage, time, current, leakage, all that? And it needs to be through hole, I forgot to mention that.

Capacitance, often a few nF, especially for types with a low breakdown voltage. But the TVS' capacitance can be hidden by a diode bridge.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 03:22:14 pm »
I would be cautious in using BAT41 for ESD clamping.  I looked at a couple of BAT41 datasheets and didn't see any data for turn-on time.

The ESD testing standard you should comply with is IEC 61000-4-2.  It has several different susceptibility levels ranging up to 15kV.  But more importantly, the rise time before it reaches the peak levels is on the order of a nanosecond.

If you're trying to protect a circuit with a diode of unknown turn-on time, the ESD event could be over and your circuit destroyed before the diode even starts to turn on.

I realize you want to stick with through hole, but doing ESD the right way is not trivial.  I would select components that were made for the task and make sure your board layout has a low impedance path for shunting the ESD strike.

Datasheets will specify the maximum clamp voltage after the device turns on, and from there you can also provide series resistors between it and your microprocessor (or whatever it's connected to) to make sure the residual ESD pulse stays within the absolute maximum pin current when your microprocessor protection diodes turn on.

Also be aware that some devices claim "integral ESD protection", but they are often referring to the human body model (HBM) where the protection is primarily there to protect against stray ESD from handling and manufacturing.  HBM is much less aggressive than IEC 61000-4-2 and HBM protection is not enough for a zap after dragging your feet across a carpet.

Here's an app note with a good overview of ESD and various standards:

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/TND410-D.PDF

There are thousands of ESD devices out there, and it can be difficult to choose.  Here's one that's suitable for I2C and other high speed protocols (approx US$0.40 qty 1):

http://www.st.com/en/protection-devices/usblc6-2.html

I like this one because it's a "through" design, which means it has a pair of pins for each signal line and you route the signal through the device.  It makes layout easier and guarantees a low impedance path on the signal side to the protection diodes.  It's not through hole, but it's available in a SOT23-6 package so you could probably work with it.

If you're using it with a 3.3V supply I would recommend a 0.01uF bypass cap very close to the device's supply pins.  If 5V, it also wouldn't hurt to have a 0.01uF cap if you don't have a good ground plane on your board.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 06:33:12 pm »
I would be cautious in using BAT41 for ESD clamping.  I looked at a couple of BAT41 datasheets and didn't see any data for turn-on time.

Er, it's a schottky diode, turn-on is zero. :)

I would be worried about surge rating and ESR, though.  Usually a bigger diode like BAT54S is used (which by the way is dual, saving on parts, and being SMT, saving on stray L too!).

3.3V zener/TVS is a lie -- if you get a true 3.3V zener part, it's very leaky under 3.3V, and doesn't clamp any better than a 5V zener/TVS does (peak clamp voltage in the 8-10V range for both cases).  The only thing that can do 3.3V logic signals is a completely different component type, a snapback diode (which is actually a fast SCR structure).

I've used these before, seems fine:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/on-semiconductor/NUP4202W1T2G/NUP4202W1T2GOSCT-ND/2122071

Note that they're made for 5V systems.  3.3V and below, you don't have much choice but to place a bypass cap at the TVS's supply pins, and bias that with VCC.

There are beefier versions for slower signals, and filtered versions, too.

Nice thing about the quad: you can place series resistors between pairs, so the ESD gets clamped twice.  This doesn't address supply pin inductance, but it still helps reduce the peak further.

You may also be concerned about charged cable ESD, where the cable delivers a slug of current at its characteristic impedance.  So, 1kV charge on 1m of 100 ohm cable is 10A for 5ns!  (Comparable to a 5kV+ ESD strike.  Of course, duration goes up with length, so this can be quite destructive with long cables.)

Cables can become charged from handling and ambient fields -- usually not much, and kind of rare -- but it can happen.

This, by the way, is a good reason why USB, HDMI, SATA and so on are all shielded standards, with the shell making contact first!  While the cable overall might have whatever ESD on it (say someone picks up a cable, walks over the carpet, and plugs it into a machine -- its shell dumps the 10kV into ground, while all the inner conductors follow along not knowing this is happening because they are surrounded by that ground), the potential between conductors and shield is much less, and so the circuit only has to sink what's left, not a direct ESD strike.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:36:20 pm by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 06:42:22 pm »

I have difficulty imagining forward recovery time for a schottky diode which is in excess of the effect produced by series inductance.

I realize you want to stick with through hole, but doing ESD the right way is not trivial.  I would select components that were made for the task and make sure your board layout has a low impedance path for shunting the ESD strike.

High frequency layout with minimum loop area is important.  The ESD shunts should be power supply decoupled just like a load.

Also be aware that some devices claim "integral ESD protection", but they are often referring to the human body model (HBM) where the protection is primarily there to protect against stray ESD from handling and manufacturing.  HBM is much less aggressive than IEC 61000-4-2 and HBM protection is not enough for a zap after dragging your feet across a carpet.

Often some part and layout changes will protect against significantly higher ESD hazards for no additional cost.  I am not a big fan of meeting the minimum requirements on exposed interfaces.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 08:39:48 pm »

Er, it's a schottky diode, turn-on is zero. :)
Yes, quite so.  Duh on my part.

My main point is that I would stick with parts that were designed and characterized for repeated ESD abuse under the prevailing standards.  Otherwise, you can't be certain what level of protection you're going to end up with.

I have difficulty imagining forward recovery time for a schottky diode which is in excess of the effect produced by series inductance.
Agreed, as above.

On that same note, using the through-hole version of the BAT41, which is where the OP was heading, could have excessive series inductance by just leaving the leads too long.  It wouldn't take much for a 1ns ESD event to build up a significant overshoot.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 01:14:59 am »
On that same note, using the through-hole version of the BAT41, which is where the OP was heading, could have excessive series inductance by just leaving the leads too long.  It wouldn't take much for a 1ns ESD event to build up a significant overshoot.

Construction over a ground plane or with a layout which minimizes loop area will work fine.  This is no different than how small switching regulators should be constructed.  The same rules apply for load decoupling capacitors.

Except for layout, the most common problem I have seen is using a low voltage series resistor which basically does nothing because it immediately breaks over.  But even if this is the case, the series resistor may still protect against excessive voltage applied to the signal line.

Maximum energy depends on thermal mass of the diode junction which is why I picked the BAT41 instead of say a 1N5711 or BAT81/BAT82/BAT83.  A BAT48 would be my choice for a lower frequency signal where 60pF of capacitance from two diodes is acceptable and may even be desirable.

Even in the old days, I never saw a diode or transistor bond wire blown off by an ESD pulse; it took an ESD activated SCR crowbar to do that. :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 02:12:33 am »
All, I'm getting some interesting but seeming contradictory information about this, and my head is spinning now. Could someone kindly point this beginner to a proven schematic that uses proven through-hole components? Or draw one?

This is for a device going into an outdoors, waterproof enclosure. The I2C port on the Raspberry Pi Zero W will be connected to a 1m shielded cable with a humidity sensor (BME280) at the other end, and the speed will be 10 kHz or thereabouts. So I have a high capacity for high capacitance :)

(Earlier I mentioned 400 kHz but I decided to split the design into two buses and the fast devices will have a dedicated hardware bus while the slow devices can ride a software emulated bus. Edited my OP to reflect this change.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:16:00 am by SlowBro »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 04:10:31 am »
I mean, if it's always connected, why bother?  It's not like anyone can touch the signal lines then. ;)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 04:38:30 am »
bson: Also how would you protect against negative spikes with just one TVS?
It has a breakdown voltage, which when exceeded discharges to ground.  If the signal goes negative it conducts like a normal diode, from ground.  Hence it limits the excursion to a range relative to ground.  The breakdown voltage isn't terribly important, it just needs to be high enough not to incur additional load under normal use, and it's often not spelled out for TVS devices. (But perhaps more often is.)

You get to look up parts yourself, but a quick look at Mouser shows 2123 different through-hole, axial, and radial package ESD suppressors in stock...
Just search for "TVS diode", select ESD suppression devices, check "in stock", pick a 5V working voltage (or 3.3V if that's what you use), then just drill down.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 10:17:42 am »
I mean, if it's always connected, why bother?  It's not like anyone can touch the signal lines then. ;)

Tim

It wouldn’t be initially connected and there may be other times it’s not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »
You get to look up parts yourself, but a quick look at Mouser shows 2123 different through-hole, axial, and radial package ESD suppressors in stock...
Just search for "TVS diode", select ESD suppression devices, check "in stock", pick a 5V working voltage (or 3.3V if that's what you use), then just drill down.

Mouser has exactly one TVS 3.3V through hole in stock :P 35pF, but that should be acceptable. However, the breakdown is 7V which will blow an RPi, so that's no good.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/SN65240P?qs=rgxfVHSNRPUo%252b7i0vDZMxA%3d%3d

Ew. Even DigiKey's minimum standoff/working voltage for through-holes is 5V. Okay so maybe I need one surface part in my design... Hope I can find a large one for my fat fingers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:53:06 pm by SlowBro »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf