Author Topic: How do I store components  (Read 1554 times)

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
How do I store components
« on: August 06, 2017, 05:35:21 pm »
So I acquired a large a mount of components from a lab that closed it's doors. Some of these are already sorted, some are not - however all have just the part number on the box, and they are not sorted by type but number (so you have optocouplers right in between opamps and 555 timers).

I was wondering how I can keep track of parts without having to go full-on make a spreadsheet of what I have. With resistors and capacitors it is generally quite easy - just put the same size in boxes (10 ? 1/2 W or 12uF 100V electrolytic). But for ICs/silicon in general, it's more challenging. For example, I imagine that at some point I might need an opamp for a project (perhaps a repair). Apart from knowing specs out of heart, it can be hard to know what part is most suited, without having to look up datasheets of each, which would be a lot of work. Do you have any suggestions as to how to store these parts? Excel spreadsheet with some numbers I have and their core specs? (with opamps, this would be RIRO/RTR/neither, GBW, low-frequency gain, UGFB stable)? Have these printed on the little boxes?
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: How do I store components
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:39:02 pm »
So I acquired a large a mount of components from a lab that closed it's doors. Some of these are already sorted, some are not - however all have just the part number on the box, and they are not sorted by type but number (so you have optocouplers right in between opamps and 555 timers).

I was wondering how I can keep track of parts without having to go full-on make a spreadsheet of what I have. With resistors and capacitors it is generally quite easy - just put the same size in boxes (10 ? 1/2 W or 12uF 100V electrolytic). But for ICs/silicon in general, it's more challenging. For example, I imagine that at some point I might need an opamp for a project (perhaps a repair). Apart from knowing specs out of heart, it can be hard to know what part is most suited, without having to look up datasheets of each, which would be a lot of work. Do you have any suggestions as to how to store these parts? Excel spreadsheet with some numbers I have and their core specs? (with opamps, this would be RIRO/RTR/neither, GBW, low-frequency gain, UGFB stable)? Have these printed on the little boxes?
I bought a bunch of those Akro Mills parts boxes - a big plastic case with a bunch of clear plastic drawers.  I use a label maker to label the drawers.  I've been using this system for years.

Jon

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:40:52 pm »

I bought a bunch of those Akro Mills parts boxes - a big plastic case with a bunch of clear plastic drawers.  I use a label maker to label the drawers.  I've been using this system for years.

Jon

Oh I'm aware of those boxes and I have hundreds of them. The issue is how to know what I have stored, because it's a lot - I'm talking about more than 30 types of opamps, dozens of general ICs, amplifiers, buffers, etc. It's not the physical storage, but how do I store them without them being "lost" - in the sense that because I don't quickly know what they are, I'll never use them.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »
Yes, you can use a spreadsheet to keep track of the basic parameters but you'll find if you keep looking at the data sheets, you'll memorise the key features. Learning a bit about op-amps in general will also help. For example, if you know that FET amplifiers generally have lower bias currents and higher offset voltages, than BJT op-amps, then you'll already know in some cases when it's better to use the TL082 or the NE5532 and vice versa.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:02:48 pm »

Oh I'm aware of those boxes and I have hundreds of them. The issue is how to know what I have stored, because it's a lot - I'm talking about more than 30 types of opamps, dozens of general ICs, amplifiers, buffers, etc. It's not the physical storage, but how do I store them without them being "lost" - in the sense that because I don't quickly know what they are, I'll never use them.
OK, I have them placed in order.  So, one box has leaded resistors, one has SMT resistors and caps, another has various chips grouped by type (CMOS digital, op amps, ADC and DAC, etc.)
Then, I have connectors, fuses, nuts and bolts, and so on.  I know where things are without looking them up in spreadsheets, as the type of part gets me within a few inches, then I look at the labels.

Jon

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:25:24 pm »
Above 50 parts : spreadsheet no doubt about it.
One spreadsheet for all the parts, use tabs (seperate sheets inside the one master spreadsheet) for each type of component (resistors, capacitors, analog ic's or even more specific opamps, video, etc.), digital, etc. etc.)
Make sure it is in a repository (for instance svn) so you have a history and backup of that file (and repository) and make it easy accesible (eg no need to search where you put it first) for instance (but that varies per person) a shortcut on your desktop or in your favorites folder.
Use it since I bought a box of different components, not only type but also some characteristics like ESR for caps for instance, also how many you have and the location.
It already litteraly saved me a few times since i wanted to order parts but looking at the datasheet I got some already  :)
I also save the datasheets of all the components with their name in seperate component folders in the repository.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf