Author Topic: How do I test 2-pin hall affect sensor?  (Read 15127 times)

Offline Mad ProfessorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How do I test 2-pin hall affect sensor?
« on: February 15, 2015, 06:20:57 pm »
Hi All.

As per the topic title I would like to know how I can bench test a 2-pin hall affect sensor.

The sensor in question is a Automotive ABS Active (Hall Affect) Sensor made by Bosch, Part Number: 0 265 007 527.

So far I have been able to find out the following details, but I am unsure how I can bench test this sensor.

http://rb-aa.bosch.com/boaasocs/index.jsp;jsessionid=1435E6E229F399ABC73665CD19815DDC.sundoro?ccat_id=340&prod_id=538

Technical data
Rated supply voltage: 12 V
Supply-voltage range: 4.5 to 12 V
Output current: 5.9 to 16.8 mA

Pin 1 Supply voltage (white wire)
Pin 2 Signal (black wire)

Principle of operation
The principal sensor components are either Hall elements or magnetoresistive elements.
Both elements generate a voltage which is governed by the magnetic flux through the measuring element.
The voltage is conditioned in the active speed range.
In contrast to an inductive sensor, the voltage to be evaluated is not a function of wheel speed.
The wheel speed can thus be measured almost down to zero.
A typical feature of the active speed sensor is the local amplifier.
This is integrated into the sensor housing together with the measurement cell.
A two-core cable forms the connection to the control unit.
The speed information is transmitted in the form of a load-independent current.
As with an inductive speed sensor, the frequency of the current is proportional to the wheel speed.
This form of transmission employing conditioned digital signals is not susceptible to inductive disturbance voltages as is the case with the type of transmission with inductive speed sensors.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:30:05 pm by Mad Professor »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: How do I test 2-pin hall affect sensor?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:28:18 pm »
Well, it would be a 3 wire sensor if the bolt hole is the ground, otherwise it is a sensor with a current output, delivering 6mA on one state and 16ma in the other state. Thus you use a 12V supply to pin 1 and a resistor from pin 2 to ground, detecting the voltage drop across the resistor. 16mA says it must drop 5V, so the value is around 300R, giving you a pretty close to TTL signal.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:16:54 pm »
Usually the Bosch Hall Sensors have a 3 wire connection and you need to use a 1kOhm resistor to source the output and then look at the voltage drop.

In this case it seems to be different.
It is very unlikely that the bolt hole is ground for the sensor, because of potential corrosion problems, this would probably not be allowed for a critical ABS sensor. But you can easily test it out and pretend the mounting hole is ground for the sensor and hook it up in a typical way.

If the mounting hole is not the ground supply, then it is probably exactly like SeanB has explained it.
Let us know your findings

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Mad ProfessorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »
Thank you for your help and advice.

With the details you have given, and the tests I have done, it seems that the sensor(s) in question are faulty, so new sensors have now been ordered.

Thanks again for your time.

Best Regards.

Offline max_torque

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:41 pm »
Pretty much from about the early 2000's onwards, most ABS systems from Bosch and Conti Teves moved to two wire 7-14mA sensors.  This enables diagnostics  as there is always currently flowing (wire break, short to vbatt etc) and because they are "powered" enables wheel tooth counting down to zero speed. The smarter sensors also encode rotation direction information into there output, via variable duty cycle proportions.  This enables such technologies as hill hold, DSG gearboxes and electronic handbrake systems etc, where the car must be able to know if it is rolling forwards or backwards!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:12:28 am »
Pretty much from about the early 2000's onwards, most ABS systems from Bosch and Conti Teves moved to two wire 7-14mA sensors.  This enables diagnostics  as there is always currently flowing (wire break, short to vbatt etc) and because they are "powered" enables wheel tooth counting down to zero speed. The smarter sensors also encode rotation direction information into there output, via variable duty cycle proportions.  This enables such technologies as hill hold, DSG gearboxes and electronic handbrake systems etc, where the car must be able to know if it is rolling forwards or backwards!

Interesting, thanks for this explanation.
Is the 7 - 14mA a kind of standard on all automotive ABS sensors?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline hugos31

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 02:36:30 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf