Author Topic: How does the diode pack on lipo jumper packs stop the alternator chaging it up?  (Read 6125 times)

Offline yadaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
I understand that the diode only lets voltage flow in one direction, but when the alternator is running the polarity doesn't change: I can see how the diode would stop you from reversing the leads as plus would be connected to the band end of the diode, but how does it stop current (not voltage) from going from the high Amps alternator to the lower amps lipo pack?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
I understand that the diode only lets voltage flow in one direction, but when the alternator is running the polarity doesn't change: I can see how the diode would stop you from reversing the leads as plus would be connected to the band end of the diode, but how does it stop current (not voltage) from going from the high Amps alternator to the lower amps lipo pack?

The alternator outputs a higher voltage than the LiPo pack is, the diodes are thus reverse biased and block current flowing in that reverse direction.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !

The alternator outputs a higher voltage than the LiPo pack is, the diodes are thus reverse biased and block current flowing in that reverse direction.

So the +12.0v of the battery when connected to the +13.8v of the alternator the battery becomes 0v and alternator becomes +1.8 volts and then the diode blocks it?

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
I understand that the diode only lets voltage flow in one direction,

Voltage doesn't flow it's a pressure, current flows.

but when the alternator is running the polarity doesn't change: I can see how the diode would stop you from reversing the leads as plus would be connected to the band end of the diode,

First an alternator is an AC voltage source, it is converted to DC by the diodes built into the alternator body converting the usually 3 phase AC alternator to DC.

but how does it stop current (not voltage) from going from the high Amps alternator to the lower amps lipo pack?

Having a higher amp alternator, of the same voltage output,  does not make more current flow into a battery. The batteries internal resistance sets the current flow amount at any given charging voltage.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
Maybe this crude diagram in the hydraulic analogy style  will help you understand.

Voltage is thought of like water pressure, and a diode is like a one-way flap-valve.

High pressure (voltage) on the left side and low on the right will push the valve (diode) open and allow current to flow.

High pressure (voltage) on the right side, and low on the left side, will push the valve (diode) closed and no current will flow.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
I get it now, the diode is seeing that the alternator side when running is ~2 volts higher on that one side, so as far as the diode is concerned the + and - have switched. Now for more technical explanation you would use four diodes in parallel because they can only carry so much corrent? or because just having one diode would fail and let the reverse current flow through it? If each diode has a drop of 0.6v then putting four in parallel would drop .15v?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
4 diodes in parallel is for current, the current will, one hopes, divide between them more or less evenly.

No it doesn't reduce the diode drop to use more diodes in parallel (ignoring other conditions which affect the diode drop of diodes).

If the diodes are not well matched, then you may get into a situation where one or more of the diodes have a low enough forward voltage drop that they cause the other diodes to not be sufficiently forward biased and therefore not conduct at all.

You can observe such an effect for example with two LEDs, take a red LED and a blue LED, the red one will have forward drop much much lower than the blue one, if you put them both in parallel with a single resistor shared by both, the red one will light and the blue one won't because the blue one will no longer be sufficiently forward biased to pass current.
~~~

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
I'm not sure what this drawing is supposed to mean:
 - Only one diode is conducting?
 - One battery is reversed
 - There is no 1K resistor of course.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
 - There is no 1K resistor of course.

I was trying different orientations to see which way the current would flow. The simulator wont work without the resistor. Also only one diode has current flow according to the simulator. I forget what my point was with the reversed batteries.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
What do you have that uses a Li-Po battery and an alternator??
A Li-Po will explode when connected directly to an alternator or to the rectifiers in an alternator because a Li-Po needs a charger circuit designed for it.

Nobody makes a "12V" Li-Po battery. One cell is 4.20V when fully charged then two cells make 8.4V and three cells make 12.6V. If they are charged to a higher voltage then they explode or catch on fire.
Li-Fe battery cells have a little less voltage.

Maybe your battery is a lead-acid battery?

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
A Li-Po will explode when connected directly to an alternator or to the rectifiers in an alternator because a Li-Po needs a charger circuit designed for it.

Nobody makes a "12V" Li-Po battery. One cell is 4.20V when fully charged then two cells make 8.4V and three cells make 12.6V. If they are charged to a higher voltage then they explode or catch on fire.

I don't have either. I just wanted to know how the diode pack works.

Offline Terrius

• Contributor
    • Tinkering with Terrius

I imagine yada is referring to the increasingly common LiPo jump starters. They are made from 3 LiPo cells in series, and designed to jump start a dead car battery. The jumper connector to the car battery contain a Diode pack to prevent back feeding of the batteries from the Alternator once the car starts.

Google LiPo Jump Starter and you will find thousands of them. Bigclive recently even did a video on one, where he shorted the pack out to see what would happen.

Offline Codebird

• Regular Contributor

Actually it means you are using the simulator wrong. I recognise that little java-sim - it's a handy tool for simulating simpler circuits without needing to wrestle with ltspice. It also doesn't consider a component connected to a wire that merely passes through the end point - it looks connected, but it isn't. You just need to delete the two long wires and connect it in steps from one compoent to the next, no shortcuts.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor

OP is referring to the compact jump starter packs that are now widely available and use lithium polymer cells.  They include a diode pack to prevent the cells being charged from the alternator.  The cheap ones have no other protection and typical Li-Po failure modes will occur if shorted etc.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !

Actually it means you are using the simulator wrong. I recognise that little java-sim - it's a handy tool for simulating simpler circuits without needing to wrestle with ltspice. It also doesn't consider a component connected to a wire that merely passes through the end point - it looks connected, but it isn't. You just need to delete the two long wires and connect it in steps from one compoent to the next, no shortcuts.

What do you mean by this? You mean always make the wire goes to the circle at the end of the components lead? I use that a lot because its much more visual and simple then ltspices number table.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf