Author Topic: How good is a Weller Soldering Station?  (Read 5876 times)

Offline OrlandoTopic starter

How good is a Weller Soldering Station?
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:50:00 am »
Hi Im looking for a good soldering station for my studies, but I also want it to last more than that. Right now im looking at this weller station, is it to much ? is it appropiate?

1-channel welding station with 70W soldering iron with ergonomic handle and safety support. ESD safe station, heat and iron resistant silicone cable for safe handling. Protected with password to preserve the configuration.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:53:07 am by Orlando »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: How good is a Weller Soldering Station?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:35:02 am »
Did you see Dave's review? It's good, though there may be other options available that provide more bang for buck. It's certainly not a bad buy.

The following users thanked this post: Orlando

Offline GadgetBoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:37:14 am »
Overpriced for its performance and features. I recommend a Hakko fx888d (you can get them in Canada for about 160$). It has better heat inertia and features than that Weller. I mean, Weller doesn't even put an accelerometer in the handle to take it out of standby unless you pay an ungodly amount of money for the upgraded handle, the Hakko comes with it. The UI of the Hakko takes a bit of getting used to, but it's worth the minor inconvenience, considering you can get almost three fx888d's for the price of that Weller.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline GadgetBoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 06:38:18 am »
Addendum: tips for the Hakko are super inexpensive, too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 07:10:48 am »
We have a couple of similar Weller soldering irons at work and they are superb! When in school I got a Weller soldering station (Fixed heat) that they were going to throw away because a student cut the cable to it. I just repaired the cable and it has been going strong ever since. It’s held up since the 90's and been abused by students for about 20 years before I found it!

I’m a bit biased towards Weller but then again I’ve never actually spend any money (except for tips) on them.

Good irons but they are overpriced so I’m not sure if I would buy a Weller when the time comes since there are similar irons for a lower cost. Like the Hakko irons!

Offline Rolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:53:16 am »
Small correction on the above, the Hakko FX888 does not have a accelerometer in the handle and has no standby function.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 09:02:45 am »
Buy a Metcal PS-900. Much better iron for the money. Super happy with mine.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:19:20 pm »
Buy a Metcal PS-900. Much better iron for the money. Super happy with mine.

Isn't Metcal great? ;D  I love my MX-500.  I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 12:26:59 pm »
I use an Weller (fixed voltage). Weller is the most admired soldering iron you may get..

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 06:18:09 pm »
Haven't used a Weller for some time but was always very impressed with them. Rather expensive but not a problem if the firm buys them.  ;)

Never keen on wet sponge iron cleaning though, thermally stresses the element and can cause corrosion if it gets in. Use metal wool or a flux/solder block.

Offline JonPyro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 06:27:35 pm »
I have a weller PU81 (old School!) but it is a fantastic iron!

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 03:29:08 am »
Thank you all for your answers!! I think I´m buying one :D

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 04:58:46 am »
Just to provide a bit of balance - Weller was always the go-to brand for soldering irons, but approximately since they bought Ungar (the superior brand IMHO) they have ceased to be the innovator that they once were.  The newer irons aren't really any better than what they made years ago.  I have an old temperature-controlled Ungar 9000 which has lasted for decades, and other than the sort of clunky slide-switch setting control, it's better than the contemporary Weller irons I used at my previous job.  It still has the separate - and no longer made - heating element in the handle, though, so I realized I'd need to replace it eventually.

Recently I had a chance to buy that Weller, or a complete Hakko FX-951 system (both were refurbished) for a similar price.  I got the Hakko and have no regrets; the T12/T15 tips are excellent and insure that when you replace the tip you get a brand new heating element to go with it.  There isn't much to go wrong with the electronics.  I don't need a professional station or single degree temperature accuracy, and for the price it was a bargain.  It might be worth looking for a refurbished high-end station; you could save hundreds of $$$ and still get a top-notch station.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 05:33:58 am »
Thank you very much

Offline Mp3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 10:33:54 pm »
Since the op seems to be satisfied i wanted to mention i have no reference points for soldering irons aside from a $10 radio shack iron I bought probably 2 decades ago and the non digital version Hakko 888 i currently have and have used for about 8 years. Great iron but i have broken the actual iron parts twice, both times in the removable cable between the iron and heater unit. Wondering if i should get another 888 iron and keep using it or go for a different brand. Never heard of the Metcal but it looks nice. I used Weller stations when i was in university and those seemed nice to me, but the non digital ones dont always seem to get as high praise as the Hakko.
High school graduate

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 03:15:53 pm »
FWIW, I'm a Weller devotee, I've got a few W6x irons (they changed W60 to W61 a few years ago) and a copuple of the old, dumb Weller soldering stations.

I love them, they're great.

I have recently been casting eyes on the Hakko and may buy one but the Weller ones work admirable well for me and have paid for themselves many, many times over.

Be aware though, same as with any tool, the main limit to the quality of work you can produce will be your ability, if you can't solder then no soldering iron will fix that.

Example of recent work done with a Weller W61 (SMD part replacement, the Si5351 on the left has already been replaced and the FST3253 is about to be replaced):

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 03:18:37 pm »
Did you blow your QCX up?  :-DD

(I killed mine the other day - need to stuff some new BS170's in it)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 03:30:21 pm »
Nope, I've taken to repairing them for people on the mailing list :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 03:32:26 pm »
Ah ha. Excellent idea :-+

Edit: to note, had some serious trouble with my 20m and 30m units and power output. Had to redesign the LPFs.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 03:58:09 pm »
Well you'd think.

It's quite fun actually, I get to play with stuff without having to buy it so it's fun.

People are so scared of SMD parts and I'm replacing them with a 3.2mm Weller 60 Watt poker...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 05:18:21 pm »
That’s a good plan. I rather like SMD rework. It’s much easier than TH stuff on plated hole boards.

I was using a Weller TCP with 3.2mm tip for SMD - definitely did the job. Got a metcal recently because the new weller tips were sticking to the ground plane on copper clad boards when doing dead bug. Just didn’t quite have enough bulk due to the new two part tips. Metcal PS900 is less than a new Weller TCP kit now as well. Not sure how the newer weller irons cope with that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf