Author Topic: how much does a resistor weigh?  (Read 15731 times)

Offline doctormTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
how much does a resistor weigh?
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:39:27 am »
im trying to buy a 1 1/2 lb box full of mix resistors and i need to know how much an individual resistor weighs?

an exact weight or estimation would be appreciated. thanks

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
Re: how much does a resistor weigh?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:45:11 am »
The common 1/4 watt resistor (CF 1/4): http://www.seielect.com/Catalog/CF-MDS.PDF
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:46:53 am by allanw »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:46:58 am »
thanks so much.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:20:54 am »
why you want to know? the only business that i can think of that do care of the weight of such small item is in the space industry.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:29:51 am by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:27:00 am »
how much does a resistor weigh?

A: Exactly half the combined weight of two identical resistors!   ;D

If we knew exactly what kind of resistor we were dealing with a more precise answer could be possible.

one of these weighs more than one of these
or one of these .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:42:03 am by Uncle Vernon »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:27:17 am »
average. since there is no technology that is capable of making two pure identical resistor, molecularly :D
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

alm

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:15:51 am »
average. since there is no technology that is capable of making two pure identical resistor, molecularly :D
Compromise: either half of the combined weight of two identical resistors, or the average weight of two not-quite-identical resistors.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:21:32 am »

Well now you have posed quite a conundrum. If this is correct it will not be possible to quote a weight for resistors only the weight of a resistor. Each item from the OPs job lot will need to be weighed individually.  :o

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:17:29 am »
why you want to know? the only business that i can think of that do care of the weight of such small item is in the space industry.

Seems from his question he wants to know how many resistors he gets when buying that "1 1/2 lb" box of resistors. But without knowing the type, and packaging (reel(s)?) it is just guessing.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:23:36 am »
Which is heavier a ton of lead, a ton of feathers or a ton of helium?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »
Which is heavier a ton of lead, a ton of feathers or a ton of helium?

i know i know! a ton of resistors! :D

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 07:19:32 pm »

49g and theres ~500-1000 in there. Weight of the container was zero'd out so thats just the resistor weight :)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 09:42:38 am »
Why not just weigh the resistors yourself? Count out a know amount large enough for your scales to weigh say 200 and work out the mass of one.

Going from the datasheet typical 1/4W resistors weigh around 267mg so you'll need a balance with an accuracy of <1g to be accurate within the nearest five.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 10:57:44 am »
after bored post, i think i understand that the op want to estimate how much resistors will be in the 1.5lb box, which i think has not yet arrived/bought, so he cannot weigh it yet.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 11:30:16 am »
Well now you have posed quite a conundrum. If this is correct it will not be possible to quote a weight for resistors only the weight of a resistor. Each item from the OPs job lot will need to be weighed individually.  :o
let us prove or disprove the conundrum is. to make the empirical study, you need the smallest and most accurate weighing mechanism. this is the smallest i got, the elcheapo made in chinese. taken out from stock are 2 seemingly identical resistors. by weighing individually, the weight appear to be the same, so the conundrum is proven "not correct". but when both weighed together, there is 0.02gram contra, divided by two is 10mg. so the weight of each of the shown resistor should be 0.1g ± 0.01g or 100mg ± 10mg. for more precise scale, mg scale with decimal points should be used, with that i will expect some difference in each resistor weight that will prove the conundrum to be otherwise... "correct" ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:38:04 am by shafri »

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:29 pm »
~100mg eh?

I guess I must've bought a 500 pack of 4.7k resistors and used a few since... ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 01:36:17 am »
hi all. sorry not answering the questions directed to me. i have been extrememly busy.

on ebay there was a guy selling 1.5 lbs of resistors. i think they were the ceramic kind (like the little resister used to compare to the big one on near the beginning of the thread).

i was just wondering if it was cost effect to get it bc i do want resistors but i need to keep it cheap bc i have other components i need to get.

thanks for the help.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 04:02:58 am »
100mg, 200+ mg. without telling the exact type, it will be difficult. as Vernon suggested, there a lot of resistor type, even the seramic alone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf