Author Topic: How to begin? To Open Source? To Fund?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline TechnicalBenTopic starter

• Contributor
How to begin? To Open Source? To Fund?
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:26 pm »
First a massive thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum and for Dave's tutorials (and entertainment ;) ). The ones on soldering have been invaluable to a total novice like me.

Can I ask some important questions and see what your thoughts are or advice is? I want to start a simple project and see it through to a working device. Around 6 months ago, I had a try at building one of these: http://www.instructables.com/id/Haptic-Proximity-Module-HPM-for-Low-Vision-users/

It was obvious there were a couple of areas it needed improving in to actually be useful. For example, replacing the ultrasonic sensor with something much quicker and accurate. I am looking to do it in a different way to how current market haptic feedback proximity wands seem to approach the problem. Though some of the ideas are similar to this: https://www.maxiaids.com/ray-electronic-mobility-aid-for-the-blind

What is the best way to go about progressing with this project? As I doubt I've got the expertise to do it alone, and I also think it would be a useful idea to share with others, how would I Open Source the idea or concept? Are there websites that can help with making things available to others?

When it comes to covering the costs of buying the few sensors and a microcontroller, what is the best option? Self funded, Kickstarter, Patreon, Amazon "Wish List" or plain old "Donate Now" button?  (I've got what I need for a proof of concept already, the IR sensor arrived today. But want to test out multiple sensors, as they differ in range limit, and of cause types, eg: IR, TOF, Ultrasonic etc. This is the extra stuff that I am expecting to need in the short term.)

Of cause, I can just post the idea for others to do it, but frankly I don't see anyone else trying it just yet. It took me 6 months just to find that single product posted above. Everything else has been hobby projects, student projects and a few research projects. Yet I'm convinced a simpler design with current tech is enough. As it's a couple of sensors and a microcontroller, I may just be able to cobble something together myself... well I've got a couple of wires soldered together tonight and it "works", but I've got to prove it can be made into something usable first! So your help would be invaluable.

Where do I start? Would there be any interest if I posted up pictures, videos or blogs of the project (I could make my own site/use youtube etc)?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: How to begin? To Open Source? To Fund?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:41:28 pm »
Before you go very far down the 'ultrasonic' path, find out what decibel level is being emitted and then figure out how that lines up with the exposure limits.  For example, there are many ultrasonic occupancy sensors that emit in excess of 80 dB and this exceeds the 8 hour limit.  So, they can be used in restrooms where they work well for 'seeing' over the stall walls but they can't be used in offices.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:33 pm »
Oh, thanks for the warning! I've not seen any on the specs to the devices, but I will double check.

But for now, I've ruled out ultrasonic, as it does not quite fit the requirements. I may use a small single transducer as a fall back sensor should the IR be blinded, or use it to smooth out the IR signal from external noise (lights etc). I could even do some clever tricks with multiple sensors. But for now I want to keep it simple.

There is, obviously, a million and one ways of doing it. But showing why or how certain designs will or will not work is the key here. As with most things, it's knowing where the balance is, and then from there just refining. If I can hit the speed and reliability with IR, then I can try to copy that with any sensor that meets the latency/accuracy/polling rate. Finding what those limits are is the first step.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:52:43 am »
Ultrasonic uses frequencies so high that they cannot be heard so there is no limit for loudness and duration. There are blind people who can hear the sound reflection from an object and they know exactly what it is and how big and far away it is when they make click sounds.

IR is infrared that has interference from remote controls and the sun and anything that is hot.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 04:07:45 am »
Ultrasonic uses frequencies so high that they cannot be heard so there is no limit for loudness and duration. There are blind people who can hear the sound reflection from an object and they know exactly what it is and how big and far away it is when they make click sounds.

IR is infrared that has interference from remote controls and the sun and anything that is hot.

There are ultrasonic exposure limits imposed by OSHA and here is the document:
https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/new_noise/appendixc.pdf

It doesn't matter than you can't hear the sound, it is still impinging on your auditory system.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 08:45:17 am »
Yep, Sonar can kill you. It's a non issue though for this application, as I'm not using it.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:29:07 am »
I saw the VL6180 BOB the other day on SparkFun.  For just $25 retail, it is really quite amazing -- at least to someone  who didn't have a sensor on his car for over 50 years.  It may be of interest as it uses light, is TOF based, and is fast.  Its range is apparently too limited as is, but then, that hurdle is called invention.  Clearly, some "laser" tape measures, which also use TOF, have solved that.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12785

John

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 01:43:41 pm »
Yep. A couple of tof sensors up to 1m range have just hit hobby supplies stores (I assume this stuff has been around longer). It is certainly an option for closer ranges. Currently I am aiming for 1 to 3m. The problem is not going to be finding the sensors at this stage. It will be testing to see what ranges and speeds are best along with which give the most reliable results.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:37:38 pm »
OK, I now have the Sharp IR sensor hooked up. So with the ultrasonic sensor, I should be able to find some means to get averages etc, and use each one to calibrate the other? (Light effects the IR, temperature the Ultrasonic etc)

The main obstacle to progress right now is my limited understanding of programming (and the complex math :( ) and finding the best speakers/inducers to use for output.
Does anyone have any experience with Arduino, and any pointers for the sensors?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:40:51 pm by TechnicalBen »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf