Author Topic: How to connect a toroid ?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline HextejasTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How to connect a toroid ?
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:38:58 pm »
I have a toroid that i think might be acting up so I wanted to check the primary connection. It connects to a 115v AC wall outlet in the US.
It has 4 wires on the primary side so they need to be combined in order to connect to the 2 wires of the 115v AC.
The wires are blue, violet, grey, and brown.
Presently the blue and violet are connected as are the grey and brown.

Is this correct ?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:03:53 pm by Hextejas »

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
Re: How to connect a toroid ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:12 pm »
Sounds like your toroid has two primary windings that should be connected in parallel for 115V and series for 230V. If you have already connected the toroid to AC power like it is now and nothing unusual happened then all is well. If one of the primary windings was reversed then your toroid will rapidly begin smoking!

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:31:10 am »
you can use a low ac voltage from some other transformer (test it first) for testing but keep in mind that even a low voltage can get stepped up quite a bit if its connected as primary to what is usually a low voltage secondary of another transformer that has a 120 or 240 v primary thats unconnected. 1 volts would likely be relatively safe under almost any common step up or step down condition, although I would still use a voltmeter's probes, not my hands, to test the windings. So you could use a voltage divider or something like that to give you a 1 volt transformer testing voltage that you can apply to any set of windings that gives you continuity to see what emerges from the others. Then mark down the ratio of whatever voltages you get to the testing voltage. That and its size should give you a good ballpark idea of what the transformer is meant to do.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 12:43:30 am »
No guarantee but if the color coding is standard the diagram below might help. It would be a good idea to wire a 40 watt Incandescent bulb in series with the primary when you first power it up to see if your guess is correct. Bright light is bad, no light is good. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 12:02:29 pm »
No guarantee but if the color coding is standard the diagram below might help. It would be a good idea to wire a 40 watt Incandescent bulb in series with the primary when you first power it up to see if your guess is correct. Bright light is bad, no light is good.
Thank you Arthur for the chart which leads me to ask:
Blu/violet--->soldered together
Grey/brown--->soldered together

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 12:40:43 pm »
It has 4 wires on the primary side so they need to be combined in order to connect to the 2 wires of the 115v AC.
Presently the blue and grey are connected as are the violet and brown.

Is this correct ?

You don't say what they're connected to.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:42:54 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 12:51:25 pm »
Presently the blue and grey are connected as are the violet and brown.

Is this correct ?

You don't say what they're connected to.
Actually I did. The 4 wires on the primary side need to connect to the 2 wires, 115v AC mains coming from the wall. So, 4 needs to be combined into 2.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 01:26:21 pm »
The right side of the chart I posted shows how they are combined and where they are connected. Still use the light bulb to test it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:34:29 pm by ArthurDent »

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 01:28:30 pm »
It sounds like the primaries are correctly wired in parallel for 115VAC as in AD's right hand diagram.
If it has been previously powered up like that the phases of the primaries must be correct otherwise it would have instantly blew up!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/ask-determining-transformers-windings-phase/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:48:36 pm by StillTrying »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 02:32:39 pm »
I think that it is faulty in that I have it wired correctly according to the chart and I get about 2v AC as output. I contacted the vendor and I can return it. Somehow the beast went bad, but no smoke, lights, etc.
Thanks all for the help.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »
If that's with no load, "2v AC as output" sounds like leakage across an open circuit secondary.
With it all disconnected, you could measure the DC resistances of all the windings to prove it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:17:54 pm by StillTrying »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:21 am »
If that's with no load, "2v AC as output" sounds like leakage across an open circuit secondary.
With it all disconnected, you could measure the DC resistances of all the windings to prove it.
For my education I am trying to reason out how I would measure this. Additionally I didn't know about DC resistance. Are there AC resistances ?
And to measure the resistance where would the probes be placed ? Between leads on the secondary ? Also between leads on the primary ? I am visualizing the picture of a transformer.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 11:30:55 am »
It's possible one of the primary windings has gone open circuit. If you connected it to the mains as you described in your first post, which is opposite to schematic posted by ArthurDent, I suspect it's blown. The fact there was no smoke doesn't surprise me as the thermal fuses would have tripped to protect against fire.

Measure the DC resistance of all of the windings with a multimeter. The primary windings should be similar and the secondary much lower. It's difficult to estimate the rough expected values, without knowing the power rating of the transformer. I suspect this is a fairly small transformer? Had it been over several hundred VA, then the circuit breaker in the house would have tripped.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 11:58:32 am »
This is it and it's quite heavy..
500va prolly overkill

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09:01 pm »
It's possible one of the primary windings has gone open circuit. If you connected it to the mains as you described in your first post, which is opposite to schematic posted by ArthurDent, I suspect it's blown. The fact there was no smoke doesn't surprise me as the thermal fuses would have tripped to protect against fire.

Measure the DC resistance of all of the windings with a multimeter. The primary windings should be similar and the secondary much lower. It's difficult to estimate the rough expected values, without knowing the power rating of the transformer. I suspect this is a fairly small transformer? Had it been over several hundred VA, then the circuit breaker in the house would have tripped.

I really owe y'all an apology.  I misstated in my original post. Since then, I have returned the toroid so I can't double check it but I think that I had it correct according to Arthur's chart.
Sheesh!

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 01:01:45 pm »
Additionally I didn't know about DC resistance. Are there AC resistances ?

AC resistances are usually called impedance, to give a clue that there's AC involved.

For a 100% pure resistance, the DC resistance and AC impedance would be exactly the same ohms value.
In practice there's no 100% pure resistance, there's always some inductance and capacitance even it if doesn't appear until the AC is a very high frequency. You'll have to do some googeling!
http://www4.hcmut.edu.vn/~huynhqlinh/olympicvl/tailieu/physlink_askexpert/ae517.cfm.htm

It's possible one of the primary windings has gone open circuit.

It should still be working if only one primary had gone OC. I imagine you'd have to be quite unlucky to OC both primaries on 115VAC.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 04:03:05 pm »
It's possible one of the primary windings has gone open circuit.

It should still be working if only one primary had gone OC. I imagine you'd have to be quite unlucky to OC both primaries on 115VAC.
[/quote]You're right of course. It should still work if one of the primaries had gone open circuit, if they were connected in parallel and it's highly unlikely they would both go open circuit.

I really owe y'all an apology.  I misstated in my original post. Since then, I have returned the toroid so I can't double check it but I think that I had it correct according to Arthur's chart.
Sheesh!
The dots indicate the transformer's phasing and should both be connected together.

I did a bit of Googling and found the technical brochure, which contains links to a clear data sheet.
https://4donline.ihs.com/images/VipMasterCap/Capacitor/AVEL/AVELS00030/AVELS00030-1.pdf

I think it would have blown the breaker, if you got the phasing wrong. It doesn't give the primary series resistance, but it does specify the copper losses and the resistance of the primary can be estimated from that. Here are the calculations:

The efficiency is 95.1% and the transformer is rated to 500VA.
PIN = 500W/0.951 = 526W
I = P/V = 526/120 = 4.38A

The copper losses are specified as 23W, assuming half of the power is lost in the primary and half in the secondary:
PLOSS(PRIMARY) = 23/2 = 11.5W

So we have a primary current of 4.38A and power dissipation in the primary's resistance of 11.5W, so we can calculate the resistance, using Ohm's law:
R = P/I2 = 11.5/4.382 = 0.6Ω

Of course half the current flows through each of the primary windings which are connected in parallel, so the resistance of each winding will be double that, but they're connected in parallel, so that's the resistance they'll present to the mains, if connected out of phase.

I = 120/0.6 = 200A.

200A will cause the main circuit breaker to pop very quickly.

The following users thanked this post: Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 12:49:25 pm »
Hero99, you did quite a bit of work on this and I thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf