Author Topic: How to decide if an ali can electrolytic can replace a tantalum?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
I have an issue with an HP spectrum analyser from the late sixties. Trouble with tantalum caps is a known possibility. Is there a way to decide if a modern small aluminium can electrolytic is a suitable replacement for a tantalum? Thanks.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: How to decide if an ali can electrolytic can replace a tantalum?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:47 pm »
I have an issue with an HP spectrum analyser from the late sixties. Trouble with tantalum caps is a known possibility. Is there a way to decide if a modern small aluminium can electrolytic is a suitable replacement for a tantalum? Thanks.

It would help if you gave the value, rated voltage, applied voltage and - most importantly - the function of the capacitor (e.g. decoupling logic or decoupling RF etc)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:45 pm »
If it's only for power filtering / bypass, 10x value might even be appropriate.  But then you have to worry about total load on the supply and all that.

I'd check to verify if the caps are actually bad (test after removal is crappy, because replacement causes even more thermal stress..), and suggest replacing them with comparable parts.  They worked the first time (give or take), they'll work again.  You might use higher voltage ratings to help improve reliability further.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 03:01:34 pm »
My general rule of thumb based on ESR is that it takes an aluminum electrolytic capacitor of 4 times the value to replace a solid tantalum.  Tantalum capacitors have better high frequency performance however so this does not apply in all applications

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:30 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, that damned "work" thing got in the way! I will replace like for like, and not try and be clever substituting something from my parts shelf. Thanks for the explanations everyone! I have an ECR meter for testing.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:10 pm »
as far as I know Ta caps function is pretty binary - they do or they don't, they fail as short circuits

its Al electors that fade, age, dry out, increase in ESR, leakage current...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:03 pm »
Only the dry one do that, the wet ones can fail if they use rubber seals ( the lower cost ones, still eye wateringly expensive but they are lower cost than the glass frit sealed units) as the electrolyte will dry out with time. the hermetically sealed ones will last until the case corrodes through, which is why they are the only capacitors that are space rated. Ok you have to tie them down and use a slightly flexible conformal coating to hold them to the board for vibration testing, otherwise the heavy units will break off at the leads, but they will last forever. Who knows, they probably will survive reentry as well until the solder melts.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:05:51 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, that damned "work" thing got in the way! I will replace like for like, and not try and be clever substituting something from my parts shelf. Thanks for the explanations everyone! I have an ECR meter for testing.
Chris, Tants bead caps are much more reliable now than those of 40 years ago and although many of us loathe them, I will still use them for repairs where space is tight.
Normally they are used to "catch" any HF on a supply rail(you can identify this use) as opposed to "bulk" capacitance.
For reliability select a voltage rating 2-3 times that of the application is the recommendation these days.
Be careful with the polarization markings, Google if necessary.

For low uF values(1-10 uF) I now use multi-layer ceramic beaded caps as they have adequate speed for a similar application.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:21:35 pm »
Tantalums on rails make a bad decision as they can burst into flames under such conditions

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:26:42 pm »
Tantalums on rails make a bad decision as they can burst into flames under such conditions
Agreed, but used in this way for decades.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:55:40 pm »

So do lithium-based batteries, but we use them in many different bits of equipment.

Everything is a tradeoff; there is no black-and-white, everything is grey.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:49 pm »
Tantalums on rails make a bad decision as they can burst into flames under such conditions.

So do lithium-based batteries, but we use them in many different bits of equipment.

I have not seen this happen in old instruments but having the embedded battery die and take the calibration constants with it is almost as bad.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 10:30:18 pm »
Tantalums on rails make a bad decision as they can burst into flames under such conditions.

I have not seen this happen in old instruments
... it would be quite remarkable if you had!
but having the embedded battery die and take the calibration constants with it is almost as bad.
Ouch. Just so.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf