Author Topic: How to glue space ferrite transformer cores?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline J4e8a16nTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Jean Pierre Daviau
How to glue space ferrite transformer cores?
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »
Hi,

I have a ferrite transformer base with a gap in it.  It was glued when I found it.
 I thought about grinding dust from a scrap ferrite to create a glue.

Does such a glue already exists?

Thanks for your attention.

JPD
Equipment Fluke, PSup..5-30V 3.4A, Owon SDS7102, Victor SGenerator,
Isn't this suppose to be a technical and exact science?

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: How to glue space ferrite transformer cores?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:36 pm »
For production, you'd either mix a small percentage of size-controlled glass microspheres with the glue to space the inner and outer limbs of the core equally, or as your photo shows, have the center limb precision ground to length to automatically provide the desired gap on assembly, which has the advantage of reducing the external stray field

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:34:05 pm »
Just use Epoxy. The middle leg gap is so large, that a thin glue film on the outside legs will make no practical influence.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:02:58 pm »
Just use Epoxy. The middle leg gap is so large, that a thin glue film on the outside legs will make no practical influence.
I agree.

Another thing you may want to consider is a non-magnetic spacer to glue in the middle, to improve the mechanical strength.

• Regular Contributor
    • Jean Pierre Daviau
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:13:21 pm »

This is why I wanted to fill the middle gap with ferrite dust. Does not this gap weaken the transformer magnetic field?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:23:05 pm »

This is why I wanted to fill the middle gap with ferrite dust. Does not this gap weaken the transformer magnetic field?
The air gap is there for a reason. Look up air gap transformer using a search engine.

The following users thanked this post: J4e8a16n

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:12:12 pm »
Hi,

I have a ferrite transformer base with a gap in it.  It was glued when I found it.
 I thought about grinding dust from a scrap ferrite to create a glue.

Does such a glue already exists?

Thanks for your attention.

JPD

Hello there,

Ferrite dust and some medium like epoxy will not create a longer center leg.  It will help, but what you will have created in effect would be a smaller gap, but still a gap.  To get rid of the gap you have to use the very same material that the core is made of, and possibly have it oriented in the same magnetic direction as the original center leg.  In other words if you had another exact core and could cut off part of the leg and join it perfectly with the original leg you want to alter then you would have effectively no gap.  This would be very hard to do obviously.  With the 'glue' you propose it will help but will still be a 'distributed' gap which will still be a gap, effectively less of a gap, but will still affect the construction significantly.

The other way would be to precision grind the outer two legs so as to remove the space when they are put back together.  That takes some good machinery too though.

After all is said and done, probably the best bet is to hunt for a new core that has the specs you need.

Also, you may want to rethink losing the gap as this helps in some circuits, although that looks like a pretty large gap in that picture.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:06:45 pm by MrAl »

The following users thanked this post: J4e8a16n

• Regular Contributor
    • Jean Pierre Daviau
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:02 pm »
Great answer  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf