Author Topic: How to leave the forum in a nice way  (Read 10100 times)

pereczes

How to leave the forum in a nice way
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:44:13 am »
Well, one of the things attracted me to this forum was that nothing is censured me.
This is the second post I am writing in the last 20 minutes about a general annoying topic that is part of all forums: trolls.
The thread was deleted few seconds later? So there is no censorship?? Well, if you manage to read this it means that the moderators started to use the oscilator cristal in their brain and decided not to delete this one.

Posting and reading on this forum the last few weeks was a great thing. Though had to experience this absolutely negative effect of some trolls that seem to sit all the time and jump on you to give some food to their narcissistic needs or hell knows what drive. A certain person (by respect I avoid his name), posted annoying, pointless and attacking posts to several of my threads. I warned him by PM not to do so. I reported to moderators, but instead of moderation I got the answer that I would have menaced somebody by PM  :-DD :-DD

So I decided to leave this forum, removed all my posts, but cannot remove the header posts.

I am asking hereby the moderators (and not only) on the ethics, right and other aspects of leaving a forum. What can I take, what do I have to leave. I would like to ask the usual trolls to abstain from further pointless comments, and have civilized thread on this topic

thanks

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: How to leave the forum in a nice way
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:46:46 am »
So I decided to leave this forum, removed all my posts, but cannot remove the header posts.

Seems childish - taking your bat and ball and going home.   :-DD

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:05 am »
First of all, what gives you the right to remove all your posts in the first place?

If you were a construction worker and you got pissed at your boss or some work colleagues, would you find OK to go and destroy the building?  I don't think so, and it wouldn't be legal. 

Like it or not, people have spent time replying to your posts and contributing something, just because those opinions don't match your expectations doesn't give you the right to erase the history.

Like the above poster, you're acting like a spoiled brat, like a child. Grow some balls and face the reality of this world, nobody's going to agree with you all the time and you'll always have people that get satisfaction trolling you or arguing.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:18 am »
This is the third time this user has created this thread and rather than delete this one, I've left it. It may explain why they are now banned.

The user had previously  indicated that they were leaving the forum and has deleted all of their posts. If anyone feels that the missing posts should be restored to maintain consistency in the threads to which they were posted, they can be restored as all deleted posts go into a separate forum topic for a month or so before being permanently  deleted.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:54:40 am by GeoffS »

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:54:18 am »
Goodbye.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:04 am »
Maybe the thread is named wrongly.

Shame about the posts, it might confuse some otherwise useful threads. You probably shouldn't be able to delete stuff that is of more than a few weeks old.
As far as trolling goes, you probably need to develop a thicker skin.

Offline gorgonzola

• !
  • Banned.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:06:05 am »
the poor guy, you suspended his account, you took his basic right to defend himself... probably him deserved this treatment... you should burn him alive  :-DD :-DD :-DD

This user is the same person who stated this thread.
I think banning was the right choice  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:13:43 am by GeoffS »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 01:27:27 am »
Shame, a lot of people have helped him on many questions he had but he can only take away the bad.

I for one will say to restore the posts, for example https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/ov5640-hack/ makes no sense with his responses removed.

I bet other topics look strange as well like people responding to a question that was not there to begin with.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 01:35:16 am »
Some of us will be sorry to loose your contribution.
I feel for you and any personal attacks you may have endured.

I also think this forum a great place and a great resource for us all.
The Moderators usually do a good job, but were they too hands off in this case?
Or to quick to jump to conclusions re the OP?
I have seen them get it wrong before.

Some of the threads do get off topic and this where restraint from posters is needed.

As I would say to my kids: play nice

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:37:15 am »
First of all, what gives you the right to remove all your posts in the first place?

My policy is that if people ask, I will remove all their posts. Threads they started don't get deleted though.
There are pros and cons both way of course, but I figure that if they are nice enough to contribute then I should be nice enough to remove their contribution at their request.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 11:57:12 am »
Shame, a lot of people have helped him on many questions he had but he can only take away the bad.

I for one will say to restore the posts, for example https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/ov5640-hack/ makes no sense with his responses removed.

I bet other topics look strange as well like people responding to a question that was not there to begin with.
+1 to this one, although that thread doesn't look too strange and there's a ton of other contributions there that do make sense.

(I wish everyone would've used the "quote previous post" button. Lesson learned. |O)

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:14:40 pm »
I still think we should bring back Roland. Even if it means having to employ a full time moderator.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:27 pm »
I still think we should bring back Roland. Even if it means having to employ a full time moderator.

I miss him.  :(

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 03:57:41 pm »

My policy is that if people ask, I will remove all their posts. Threads they started don't get deleted though.
There are pros and cons both way of course, but I figure that if they are nice enough to contribute then I should be nice enough to remove their contribution at their request.

One time I accidentally posted something my employer was not comfortable with.  I didn't say who I was or where I worked but mentioned a project with a device that was being paired to an android device and I thought there might be a known bug in that phone's bluetooth stack causing a certain part not to work.  Well someone there who was also researching the same issue found my post and freaked out and mentioned it to the project manager saying that just by mentioning in very general terms that someone could infer the company I worked for.  I was then pulled off the project and told to remove any online activity that could link me to the company and promptly had me sign a half dozen NDAs.

Whew!
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline nihilism

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 04:26:17 pm »
Anyone that has to ask that question is an attention whore who thinks they should be the centre of the universe and wants everyone else to take pity on them because they got their feelings hurt.

The answer to the question? Leave all your posts as they are and never log in or visit the forum again. If there is anyone you want to stay in contact with, send them a PM first to let them know.

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:54 pm »
Nerd Rage is always interesting  :-+

Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »

If you were a construction worker and you got pissed at your boss or some work colleagues, would you find OK to go and destroy the building?  I don't think so, and it wouldn't be legal. 

Like it or not, people have spent time replying to your posts and contributing something, just because those opinions don't match your expectations doesn't give you the right to erase the history.

Like the above poster, you're acting like a spoiled brat, like a child. Grow some balls and face the reality of this world, nobody's going to agree with you all the time and you'll always have people that get satisfaction trolling you or arguing.

This post of yours imo would be a great candidate for a reason to leave , how can anyone "argue" with such stupid logic , except me of course ...

First I personally think that if one can leave and take with you what one has put in all the better , but its daves place so his rules are the go .

2nd , that robot builder of yours in that story is PAID , paid to do a job by a boss in which it is TOLD what to do or gets the sack and then does not get paid! , now if you got/conned someone to build your house for free with no pay as you were the boss but then annoyed that someone very very much I would say the builder has every right to flatten your house as it isn't yours anyway , Bush Law .

One claims childish or bratish , I have casually noticed some of that very same symptom of posters in a few of the OP's threads and I say good on the OP to actually have the balls to ask that one wants to leave "with" the associated donated input as it is just not obviously worth interacting with lower intelligence identities , those keyboard monkeys !

You others in here should be ashamed with your little girl smileys and snitchy girly talk .

What I would like to see is all those posters who feel it is their duty to post a response in threads with Help , knowledge , insight , opinion , assistance , intelligence , contribution , to look out of the window and see if one has a Life , and if not , go and get one from some other place except here (Dave rules though so don't listen to me) as there are people about that do want to learn without anything being jammed down the throat or up the ar_e who also have different learning curves and many are just hobbyist's  .
All IMO of course .

Ahhhhhhhhhh I feel better now Ha Ha Ha Ha .
Soon

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 08:21:55 pm »
Ok, so maybe the analogy wasn't perfect.  Replace it with "Person volunteering to plant some trees  until he goes into an argument with job foreman and decides to leave cutting down/destroying the trees he planted until that point, or dumping back the dirt in the holes he dug so far".

Fact is, he joined this forum on his own free will, and agreed by some terms when he joined.  He contributed to this forum, adding value to this forum, and other people spent some of their spare time to help, or at least try to help him out. Dave also spends money on this forum and gives members of this forum a platform to educate themselves/profit in return of those posts that may help others in the future.
By deleting his posts, he not only depreciates the value of those threads but he also degrades the answers of other members that bothered to help him (because now they probably don't make any sense).
It's somewhat of an insult to those members that tried to help him. 

I can understand if people have to delete something (like as above when user said something that was covered by NDAs or wasn't supposed to be said) but those people  have avenues to accomplish that (contact dave, contact moderators).
I don't agree with members having the ability to edit posts in perpetuity or delete posts whenever they feel like it.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 08:50:01 pm »
If it wasn't perfect then it should have not been used , your asking the OP to be perfect SO you should be too! , and now one has had time to think about it one can now assimilate another story to sound a bit better , so one should have thought about it "before" one even posted knocking someones imperfections .

All the rest i'll not comment on as its heresay , whats the issue with other peoples brains or intent , not perfect enough?  .

I'm outta here as I have had my perfect rant and rave but I tells ya what and this is not directed solely at you , there are some that get their jollys off deriding others when they can , just because they can , and its sick (as in a mental sickness sick , they call it intelligence).
Soon

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 08:56:34 pm »
Well someone there who was also researching the same issue found my post and freaked out and mentioned it to the project manager saying that just by mentioning in very general terms that someone could infer the company I worked for.  I was then pulled off the project and told to remove any online activity that could link me to the company and promptly had me sign a half dozen NDAs.
It seems pretty remiss of your employer not to inform you that your work might be the subject of an NDA

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 03:12:14 pm »
Is he not the copyright owner?

I hate it too - removing posts can really screw with continuity of threads - but I don't believe one is surrendering rights of the contents of posts to EEVBlog and thus retains the right by law to choose whether or not to distribute his content. (Am I wrong about AU law? If I am in a way that makes this point wrong, then please correct me, so I too can abstain from further posting.)

It likely would be illegal. This is also a terrible and not well thought analogy that has nothing in common with what it tries to explain. Unless I am employed by EEVBlog? If so why didn't anyone tell me and where are my paychecks? =)

He's not erasing history, just the direct record of his contribution. As I understand it, we _do_ have this right.

Like the above poster, you're acting like a spoiled brat, like a child.
Quick to pass judgement?

Quote from: EEVBlog
As a general rule, reasonable. While I personally would likely never take advantage of this, I'm glad to hear it is a general policy.

Quote from: nihilism
Anyone that has to ask that question is an attention whore
I don't know the details of this case, it very well may be true. But to think that this is _always_ the case? Just read above for examples of where this is _not_ the case. Thinking this is simply exercising ignorance.

Quote from: nihilism
The answer to the question? Leave all your posts as they are and never log in or visit the forum again. If there is anyone you want to stay in contact with, send them a PM first to let them know.
Just one of many "answers."

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:41 pm »
Funnily enough I got a rather rude PM the day after the OP stormed off, from a user that registered that day.  Coincidence?   ;D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 11:41:14 pm »
Funnily enough I got a rather rude PM the day after the OP stormed off, from a user that registered that day.  Coincidence?   ;D

No, it's him.
You have been targeted as one of the people who have supposedly wronged him.
He has threatened to spam the forum through countless IP addresses and is spewing hatred by private email, and said he will not stop until I give in to a list of his demands  ::)
He has already targeted the forum with a different account, my blog page, and my youtube channel.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 11:49:51 pm »
He's not erasing history, just the direct record of his contribution. As I understand it, we _do_ have this right.

It's kinda pointless quoting any law in this instance, because the forum owner is an Australian, the server is in the US, and the poster could be in another country etc. It's a mess legally, so I simply make up my own rule as policy of joining this forum. And I have decided to allow people to edit and delete their own comments. If people really case about history and all that, well, the posts are probably archived somewhere like on google or the wayback machine? Or you can always take your own shapshots.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 01:08:37 am »

No, it's him.
You have been targeted as one of the people who have supposedly wronged him.
He has threatened to spam the forum through countless IP addresses and is spewing hatred by private email, and said he will not stop until I give in to a list of his demands  ::)
He has already targeted the forum with a different account, my blog page, and my youtube channel.

He sounds like a jerk.  Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.   :)

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2014, 01:14:30 am »
...  Or you can always take your own shapshots.

There is a user that does that so they can then post them to their own website if they get deleted - along with explanatory text as to why it's all a conspiracy against them as well as a few choice words about the moderator responsible.  Quite funny although a little sad.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 01:23:20 am »

Yeah, but part of me wants to read his list to demands!

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 03:52:34 am »
iratus parum formica

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 am »

Yeah, but part of me wants to read his list to demands!

What the hell could he even want from Dave?  :wtf:

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 05:26:29 am »
Attention. He just wants or feels he needs attention. Perhaps needs a little counselling and to talk to somebody face to face a little and get his mind in order.

Offline yashrk

• Frequent Contributor
  • A MAKER, AN ENGINEER, A HOBBYIST FOR LIFE
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 06:35:21 pm »
This form is the best I have ever seen, it has help me a lot and I have never encountered anyone who offended me in any way. Thank u guys
Find me and things I'm working on - https://www.yashkudale.com/

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 08:29:57 pm »
i have never acually found a troll on here before, iths ether because the mods ae very good or the forum is very troll free
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:05 pm »
It's a shame that the quality of his life is that bad that he has to keep trying to give Dave and the forum a hard time.  Maybe we should all chip in for some Viagra for him so he  has something else to play with. >:D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:29 pm »
What I don't get is why people must leave the forum in a grandiose, vocal manner.

If you have an issue: Just. Stop. Visiting. It's not hard! True, once I had to quarrel with the mods of a forum to get my account deleted because I kept getting "send this irrelevant drivel to ALL the members" spam, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

(Though it was amusing, as they were refusing to delete the account - not the posts, the account only - and I had to resort to saying "Well either you delete it, or I'm going to be exceedingly rude in addition to posting links to pirated material in a few choice threads". I should note that piracy was very much a no-no, with instabans usually being handed out.)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 11:51:08 pm »
i have never acually found a troll on here before, iths ether because the mods ae very good or the forum is very troll free

I think it's mostly the culture, people lead by example.
But given the infinite variety of languages and cultures, and the text based medium, it's inevitable that a small number of people will think they are being "trolled".

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 12:54:21 am »
I was once in the top-10 contributors in the Arduino forum. But I departed because of trolls and inept moderation.
The problem was that trolls were posting things that young-players couldn't tell were complete bollocks.
And they didn't have enough moderator bandwidth to keep up with the problems. Dunno if they have fixed the problem meanwhile.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf