Author Topic: how to make a plated edge of a board in Eagle?  (Read 8571 times)

Offline Prime73Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
how to make a plated edge of a board in Eagle?
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:51:09 am »
Hi folks,

I'm trying to design a pcb in Eagle with a connector soldered to an edge of the pcb. Basically I wanna make a plated cut out in the board where I can slide in my connector and solder it in place.  Does anyone know anything on the subject? any pointers?

thanks in advance! :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: how to make a plated edge of a board in Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:08:24 am »
You do ti same as any other PCB tool. Either have the board outline cut through a normal plated pad (just place the pad centre on the board outline), or specify it manually with text on your mechanical/notes layer.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:03:57 am »
If you already know the manufacturer, contact them and ask them how they prefer the data. They will give you some good advice on this, if they speak English and do edge plating.
Since this is a connector, I assume eagle doesn't have any DRC for this.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »
Surely you could get away with making a custom part in Eagle (extremely easy to do, takes no more then 5 minutes  :-+) having pads in the pattern wanted, then placing this component on the board edge? This would be the easiest way, as you then have a part where you can wire to easily.

Alternately, draw the copper trace at the required size to the edge as needed, then draw a polygon over where you want the connectors using the 'tstop' and 'bstop' layers, which will tell the fab house to not mask that copper.

If you are still really struggling, send me a PM with the connector that you are trying to use and I can whip something up for you.

-kizzap

Edit: Also if you weren't aware, there is a dedicated Eagle sub forum here, although it is rather quiet. :)
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline Prime73Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:36:36 pm »
I have this connector:

and I want to solder it to my pcb like so:

Not sure if I can design a custom via in a shape I need.

Lurch

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »
Also if you weren't aware, there is a dedicated Eagle sub forum here, although it is rather quiet. :)

Probably because all the posts about Eagle are in here!

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 05:03:50 pm »
Whatever you do in the PCB software, you need to tell the PCB manufacturer where edge plating is required, otherwise all edges will be routed after plating. 
The manufacturing process order is drill & mill all plated holes/slots/edges, then etch tracks, then rout the outer edge.
Any edge plating needs to be done by making slots at the initial drilling stage, exactly the same as for plated slots.
So you need to effectively specify a plated slot, one side of which touches the PCB edge, and then make sure your outer edge profile line does not pass over the plated edge so it doesn;t get routed off later.
 You'd typically do this on 2 seperate outline layers. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:09:02 pm »
Oh I see what you are doing. There is a library that has a part that you might be interested in looking at. Have a look in the "con-coax" Library, under the SMA sub-library. There are a number of options there that might suit your needs. Those style connectors are designed to attach to board edges.

If you want it recessed you will just have to specify it in the board outline, just remember to take into consideration that the board house routing will leave a curve on the inside edge, so either specify some routing space to allow the tool to "overshoot" so that you have an effective square edge. Else be prepared to go at it with a file.

-kizzap
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf