Author Topic: How to minimize the noise from the oscilloscope probe  (Read 9437 times)

Offline khtwo2002Topic starter

• Contributor
How to minimize the noise from the oscilloscope probe
« on: January 09, 2016, 09:35:31 pm »
I can see that the oscilloscope probe act as antenna and introduced noise to the oscilloscope waveform. This is especially obvious when my hand move close tot he probe head. I also see that the noise is significantly reduced when putting probe on the anti static grounding mat. Are there any other ways to minimize this "antenna" effects?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: How to minimize the noise from the oscilloscope probe
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:26 pm »
Minimise the length of the Reference (GND) lead.
There are times when only the std lead will reach a safe reference point (usually GND) and for many circuits this is adequate, but in noisy circuits other options should be used.
Alternatives include:
Probe GND spring connectors
Direct coax connection
Differential probes

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline brillopad

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:19:37 am »
W2aew has some scope videos this one is about low noise probes.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:58:46 am »
I've only ever used an oscilloscope once, so I have extremely limited knowledge. However, I too noticed what you are seeing. I didn't have the ground lead connected to anything as I wasn't sure what it was at the time. Once I connected it to ground, the signal cleaned up completely.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 03:02:47 am »
The late, legendary Bob Pease wrote some worthwhile reading on this and related subjects and I am pretty sure also did at least one YouTube video. Its one of those things you remember because you use it all the time.

Yes, short leads are all important.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 03:59:36 am »
The late, legendary Bob Pease wrote some worthwhile reading on this and related subjects and I am pretty sure also did at least one YouTube video. Its one of those things you remember because you use it all the time.

Maybe this one:

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 04:37:46 am »
Yes, thats the one!

:)
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 04:54:26 am »
Thank you all for the information.

I did some noise tests with my DS1054z, in all tests the probe head are floating in air and aren't directly connected to any signal source. Here are the vpp peak-peak value:

Disconnect probe: 10.4-11.2mv (this is the oscilloscope internal noise, normal?)

Connect probe with GND spring, probe head on antistatic grounded mat: 10.4-12.0mv
Connect probe with GND spring, probe head on antistatic UN-grounded mat: 17-18mv
Connect probe with GND spring, probe head not on antistatic grounded mat: 12-30mv depend on the different position

Connect probe without GND spring, probe head on antistatic grounded mat: 12.8-14.4mv
Connect probe without GND spring, probe head on antistatic UN-grounded mat: 23.8-24.8mv
Connect probe without GND spring, probe head not on antistatic grounded mat: 13.6-56mv depend on the different position

Connect probe with std hook cap, probe head on antistatic grounded mat: 46-50mv
Connect probe with std hook cap, probe head on antistatic UN-grounded mat: 106-110mv
Connect probe with std hook cap, probe head not on antistatic grounded mat: 34-200mv depend on the different position

So, when working on the grounded anti-static mat and the probe with ground spring, I got the almost noise free signal input. In conclusion:
1. Grounded antistatic mat significantly reduce the noise level. I'm planning buy a larger antistatic mat that can cover my whole table :D
2. GND spring can help reducing the noise level and get almost perfect signal, but not always convenient. I think in most cases, the bare head without GND spring should be good enough.
3. Try stay away from the std hook cap, which significantly amplified the noise level up to 200-300%. I think this is probably because the hook cap doesn't have a grounded metal wrap around the probe needle, thus make the unwrapped needle much longer than original. This "extended antenna" is more sensitive to the common noise waves around us, and receive more energy from those noise. I wonder if adding a grounded metal wrapper could improve the performance of the hook cap. Will do some test later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:58:51 am by khtwo2002 »

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 07:55:45 am »
I see no mention of limiting the bandwidth of the scope.
If you don't need a bandwidth > 20 MHz, then switch on BW limit (try it anyway and see what happens).

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:11:32 am »
Here are the vpp peak-peak value:

What frequency? What probe type? Those are very important factors.

2. GND spring can help reducing the noise level and get almost perfect signal, but not always convenient. I think in most cases, the bare head without GND spring should be good enough.

Convenience is irrelevant. Testing has to be an integral part of design and construction.

There are alternatives, e.g. a very effective homebrew tip described https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/scope-probe-accessory-improves-signal-fidelity/

3. Try stay away from the std hook cap, which significantly amplified the noise level up to 200-300%.

The probe won't amplify anything.

I think this is probably because the hook cap doesn't have a grounded metal wrap around the probe needle, thus make the unwrapped needle much longer than original. This "extended antenna" is more sensitive to the common noise waves around us, and receive more energy from those noise. I wonder if adding a grounded metal wrapper could improve the performance of the hook cap. Will do some test later.

There is a lot of information pertinent to your situation in the various references at https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 07:54:35 pm »

It's pure noise in the air. The probe is a passive 150Mhz probe that come with Rigol DS1054Z.

Convenience is irrelevant. Testing has to be an integral part of design and construction.

True if you already know the testing point. For the situation where you still looking for the exact point to test, convenience still a factor.

There are alternatives, e.g. a very effective homebrew tip described https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/scope-probe-accessory-improves-signal-fidelity/

Thanks for the link.

Maybe I use the wrong word. What I mean is that the probe head(antenna) receive more energy from the noise in the air, and makes the probe more sensitive to these noise.

There is a lot of information pertinent to your situation in the various references at https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/

That's quite some material to read. Thanks!

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:39 am »
This may sound silly, but sometimes arranging/messing with the probe's excess cable can make a pretty big difference too.  Try loose coils, etc.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 06:11:22 am »
Maybe I use the wrong word. What I mean is that the probe head(antenna) receive more energy from the noise in the air, and makes the probe more sensitive to these noise.

Yep, and that's a nuisance most of the time, but check out EEVblog #284 (from about 2:30), sometimes it's useful...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 09:40:15 am »

It's pure noise in the air. The probe is a passive 150Mhz probe that come with Rigol DS1054Z.

I don't know what you mean by that. Perhaps you mean "white noise" that contains all frequencies at the same power.

The problem is that an improperly triggered scope display can look like white noise. If your scope has an FFT function, I suggest you capture a single sweep and do an FFT to see if there are any frequencies you have missed. Do several tests at different sweep speeds, capturing the maximum interval at each sweep frequency.

That technique isn't guaranteed to show anything that is there, but nothing is when serching for noise!
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 09:48:46 am »
I took the phrase "pure noise in the air" as being of no particular 'colour' but simply describing all the EM that's floating around in our modern day world.  Everything from lightning halfway around the world to SMPS switching transients, automotive ignition pulses and so on.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 10:21:38 am »
I took the phrase "pure noise in the air" as being of no particular 'colour' but simply describing all the EM that's floating around in our modern day world.  Everything from lightning halfway around the world to SMPS switching transients, automotive ignition pulses and so on.

Just so, but it could be many other things as well.

Characterising them - in whatever way is possible - is the first step to understanding and amelioration.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:38:13 pm »
I don't know what you mean by that. Perhaps you mean "white noise" that contains all frequencies at the same power.

The problem is that an improperly triggered scope display can look like white noise. If your scope has an FFT function, I suggest you capture a single sweep and do an FFT to see if there are any frequencies you have missed. Do several tests at different sweep speeds, capturing the maximum interval at each sweep frequency.

That technique isn't guaranteed to show anything that is there, but nothing is when serching for noise!

"white noise", that's that. Who knows, maybe pinky noise :)
And thanks for pointing out the FFT function, I have never thought the use of FFT function. LOL newbie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf