Author Topic: How to power my little projects, kits...  (Read 4675 times)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: How to power my little projects, kits...
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 02:21:41 pm »
I have several HP 6216A Variable DC Power Supplies.  Small (3"Hx5"Wx7"D) with current limiting and multiple units can be put in parallel or series. Not a lot of current but enough for most small projects.  Good starter.  I would NOT pay much more than $60 with shipping included.  I have found them cheaper.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 02:29:25 pm »
We've had the discussion about the AN8008 or other cheap multimeters elsewhere on the forums many times. I feel that a beginner should have more leeway than a more advanced tinkerer, simply because he doesn't quite know how to stay out of trouble yet. You can't ask a young player to stay away from danger if he doesn't quite know how.

A good example was also given: a car battery typically is only 12 volt, but can push a massive amounts of amps. A novice might equate the low voltage to low current and absolutely melt his multimeter or leads in a violent fashion.

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
We've had the discussion about the AN8008 or other cheap multimeters elsewhere on the forums many times. I feel that a beginner should have more leeway than a more advanced tinkerer, simply because he doesn't quite know how to stay out of trouble yet. You can't ask a young player to stay away from danger if he doesn't quite know how.

A good example was also given: a car battery typically is only 12 volt, but can push a massive amounts of amps. A novice might equate the low voltage to low current and absolutely melt his multimeter or leads in a violent fashion.

AN8008 does have fuse on 10A range, (which seems to be rare with cheap meters) so connecting it to 12V wont make meter melt.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 03:07:18 pm »
This one is quite nice to use when its current is enough because its a small linear supply with a big heat sink that's completely silent. No fan. 

I have several HP 6216A Variable DC Power Supplies.  Small (3"Hx5"Wx7"D) with current limiting and multiple units can be put in parallel or series. Not a lot of current but enough for most small projects.  Good starter.  I would NOT pay much more than $60 with shipping included.  I have found them cheaper.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cepwinTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 12:26:33 am »
Thank you all for your replies.   What I ended up doing is getting an inexpensive bench power supply that seems to work pretty well for what I'm trying to do.  Thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf