Author Topic: How to prototype with SMD components  (Read 28582 times)

Offline MegaWattTopic starter

• Contributor
How to prototype with SMD components
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »
Hey everybody. I have my little electronics lab set up, and I made some projects and stuff, but they always involved using trough hole components on my bread board or solder bread board. Now I was wondering, how can you prototype or make projects with SMD components. These don't fit obviously on a breadboard, and except making a PCB I don't really see an easy and quick solution? Are there any tools that allow you to experiment with SMD components?

Thankss!  ::)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: How to prototype with SMD components
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:20:33 pm »
well most parts like comparators and opamps and MCU's can be obtained in both DIP and SOIC packages as can all of the passive parts, so you simply use through hole parts on your breadboard and then when you have it working do the SMD/SOIC PCB layout. Some parts can only be obtained in SOIC packages, one i came across was MAXIM current sensing chips, for those you will have to make an adapter PCB

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:32:58 pm »
Hey Simon,

Ok I think I understand, it was just because in the EEVBLOG lab tour video, I saw Dave showing his SMD component kits, and he said "well they are good for those one time projects". So I thought maybe it is possible to do it ??? ! But ok it is not! Thank you for the info  ;D

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »
well if you feel like make a PCB without breadboarding then sure you will be using SMD stuff for a prototype, Dave has often said that he goes straight to PCB and does not bother to breadboard. It all depends on the project at hand, high frequency stuff won't work on a breadboard anyhow. I personally use a mix and generally test "circuit blocks" on a breadboard and then test the whole thing on a PCB.

Daves comment on one off stuff may have been related to the fact that if your sending stuff away to be mass produced the parts need to be on tapes/reels or other specific method of "carriage" so a box of individual resistors is only good for hand making a one off unless that's how your going to make it.

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:29:51 pm »
If you're using a mixture, or a few surface mount components Manhattan construction is very good. You can turn a chip upside down and wire to it, or with 0812 or larger you can bridge between pads as you would with through hole components, have a look at
www.k7qo.net/lab.pdf
This also works up to very high frequencies, a useful prototyping technique

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:41:46 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned SMT prototype boards.  You can buy boards with various footprints broken out into 0.1" headers or with room on the boards for additional components

This thread has some great options.  Schmartboards has a unique approach that making soldering the SMT parts easier.  There are a lot of other options for these type of boards too.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:08:55 am »
Hello,
thx everybody for the replies. The link to the lab pdf is very handy! I wish i could make those pads he is using :P
And thank you John for the links, i will have a look

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:29:39 pm »
I noticed Dave tends to use a generic SMT prototype board that has a bunch of different footprints on it, or he uses old boards of his.

Many small companies offer breakout boards for SMD only components like accelerometers.  It's an expensive option.

Or you can make your own boards.  Google 'Toner Transfer PCB' and 'Photo PCB'.  I use toner transfer to etch SMD PCB's including a lot of breakout boards.  YouTube has a lot of SMD soldering tutorials.  It's not very hard.

Mark Higgins

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »
I posted about some SMT breakout boards from Microchip and Schmartboard.  These boards are all top-of-the-line with some nice features.

As a cheaper option, yesterday, I received a batch of breakout boards from Sure electronics.  This set was US$3, including shipping from China.  These boards are the opposite extreme from the others I posted, simply bringing the SMT component to standard spaced headers so that jumper leads or a breadboard may be used.  Below are a couple pictures of the set.

These boards are for SOIC parts, but they have boards for other form factors are a similar price.  The price includes headers and sockets as shown.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:20:35 pm by Jon Chandler »

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »
Nice find. Thanks!
-Z

Offline Neb

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 08:21:17 am »
I find that most of the new and cool devices are all surface mount.  DIPs are becoming harder and harder to find.

A while back i learned to use Cadsoft Eagle to make PCBs and now i just create a board for my projects.  It takes longer to put together, but it forces you to consider every aspect of the circuit before building it so there's less of a chance of burning something.  The cheap PCB board houses are great.  I've been using BatchPCB to get project boards done, but it takes about 3 weeks to get a board but they are so cheap!  A more expensive place had the board in my hands in ~48 hours.

I can't go back now, i look at my old breadboards and laugh and think about the headache of routing all those wires.  And, if the project works you can just stick it in an enclosure and voila, no redesign or perf-board needed.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 11:53:13 am »
I've made the decision to move to SMD as the method of choice and have just ordered my first stocks of SMD parts. I like the idea of it being smaller, cheaper and not needing holes drilling needless to mention the added flexibility with dual layer and getting even more stuff on one board.

I will probably continue though to test sections on breadboard, but yes some stuff you can't even get as through hole, so really an evolutionary  choice too based on the modern day "supply environment"

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 02:50:41 pm »
dipmicro has some smart designs....
Universal SSOP Adapter + 96 Prototyping TH Pads

LQFP48/TQFP48 Module w/ 228 Proto Pads

Proto PCB 69 x 50mm w/ 452 Pads + SMT

and cheap!

i like that their large boards aren't plated through... requires a LOT less heat! no worry of the pads lifting since it's screened. the screen lifts a little easier than i normally like, but not enough to cause concern, just don't scrub too hard with a qtip. pre-tinned pads wet nicely with pb solder.
-sj

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 05:05:24 pm »
Hey John,

thanks for the find! That is really handy !
And also good site! Do you know other sites like 'Sure electronics'? Where you can pay with paypal, more in the region of europe? THx

Offline old gregg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:40:08 pm »
sory to bump an old thread

but is there any good SMD stripboard (or veroboard) available ?

I want to move on SMD but I mostly do my circuits on stripboard (cheaper than PCB , espcially for a single board) but obviously they end up big (where I need them to be small to fit the box) and having them smaller would be interesting.

I've read and watch imformations on SMD packages , hand-soldering ect... but the board question remains , moreover I use a lot of discrete components (rarely one or two chips circuit).

any advices would be appreciated !

thanks .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf