Author Topic: How to search for a gearbox?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline SenSeSTopic starter

• Contributor
How to search for a gearbox?
« on: June 15, 2015, 12:47:33 pm »
Hi all,

I've found a motor (I think) that fits my requirements. However I'm trying to find a spur gearbox (1:150) that goes along with it. How is this usually done? It seems that I can't find a general approach to this. When taking apart products with gearboxes I usually see one of 2 possibilities. 1) the gears are big, generally plastic, and spread across the product (printers, scanners, etc). 2) there is a custom gearbox designed that looks like something you would get when buying a geared motor but then placed in a special order or shape to fit the product. Are these the 2 prevailing options in commercial products? For a hobbyist project this is pretty expensive. It seems that there is no real collection of "standard" gearboxes that I can just attach to my motor. Ideally I would want the following shape of gearbox

The reason for this is cause it needs to be as short as possible. A worm wheel could work but is very inefficient. I'm currently looking at a Mabuchi DC motor. Thank you for your help!

Offline PSR B1257

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to search for a gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:32:22 pm »
gearbox (1:150)
Why such a high ratio? Can't you use a different motor to start with?
Whats the application?

A worm wheel could work but is very inefficient.
Usually this does not really matter, if you have to choose a worm gear.

Why did you not buy a gear motor directly?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:16:18 am »
Have a look at McLennan gearboxes, spur gearboxes, ovoid instrument units...or such like.  I have used them in telescope drives.  But they are not that expensive..well not for what I want.

http://www.mclennan.co.uk/products/gearboxes-speed-reducers

I didn't see a 150:1 but they might in their other ranges although Polo has some:
https://www.pololu.com/product/2368

Also Maxon motors may have what you want but they cost a lot.  Most motor suppliers have gearbox options these days so it's best to search for a gearbox AIO using the motor mfgrs as a base.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:30:48 am by wasyoungonce »
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline FrankT

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:19:50 pm »
I find it is easier to find the motor+gearbox combo.  I don't know what your price range or precision requirements are, but super droid robots have a great range of motors with/without gearboxes, with/without encoders...

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/category.aspx/gear-motors/7/

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:50:02 am »
Without torque or power or something to give me an idea of what to look for, I'd send you to Hobby King to search for sail winch servos.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf