Author Topic: How to start learning Altium?  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Deadpixel732Topic starter

• Contributor
How to start learning Altium?
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:57:09 pm »
Hey guys,
Like ive said in the title, id like some pointers where i can start learning to use Altium. I know there are some video on youtube but many seem disconnected and do not start at the very basic level.

If you guys could maybe show my some places or indicators on how I could start learning Altium id greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks.

edit: I realize that i probably should have  posted this in the Altium Designer board. sorry. But help would still be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:00:45 pm by Deadpixel732 »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: How to start learning Altium?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:48:36 pm »
Altium is very intuitive. Just playing around you usually find how to do lots of things.

The keyboard shortcuts are important if you want to work quickly.

Here's a few basic things

New project
- Creating a new project - File - New - Project - PCB project.   Then save the project and give it a name.
- Right click on your project in the project window then 'Add new to project'  - PCB / schematic
- Make sure you have saved the project and docs to give them names.

Adding components to schematic
Go to the libraries window (right) and drag anything you want onto the schematic.
By default you get the two libraries 'miscellaneous components' and 'miscellaneous devices'. There are hundreds of others you can add. They aren't added by default because they take up memory and you don't need all of them all the time. To add more click the 'libraries' button on the libraries window and add more. You can also search for things, make sure you use the operator 'contains' so for example "555" will find NE555AN. Also check you have the path and tickbox set so it will search all libraries. It should take 30sec or so to search every one.

To automatically add your schematic components to the PCB with connecting lines so you can route tracks use the top menu and click 'Design' then 'Update PCB document...'    Click 'validate changes' then 'execute changes'

To change the size/shape of you PCB play around with the options inside 'Design' - 'Board shape'. (when the PCB is showing)

Moving around
- Hold right mouse btn and drag to move board around
- Hold CTRL and right mouse button and drag to zoom in/out on center of screen
- If in 3D mode you can also hold SHIFT and right mouse + drag to change the 3D perspective

Selecting objects (you can combine these to get complex selections
- Hold left mouse btn and drag box to select multiple objects.
- Shift left mouse click on object to select
- To change all their properties at once don't right click and select properties, double-click on one of them instead.
- You can also right click on a select object and choose 'find similar objects' then use a filter to select things. eg select all 0.8mm holes

Moving selected object around.
- You can select and drag it
- Or for fine tuning, select it and use CTRL + ARROW keys for slow move and CTRL+SHIFT + ARROW keys for fast move.

Change view mode when in PCB design
- number 2 key = 2D view
- number 3 key = 3D view

Measure a distance  - CTRL + M  (right click to cancel)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:25:06 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:14:47 am »
I agree with Psi, Altium is very intuitive, probably the most of any similar software. If you have troubles with it, youtube has lots of useful tutorials, the first one you will probably need is creating custom components and footprints :)

Offline Things

• Regular Contributor
  • Laser Geek
    • NQLasers
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:35:22 am »
I have a bit of a work in progress guide going here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f60/altium-designer-quick-start-guide-84721.html

Although it's more aimed at people that just want to turn their schematics into a PCB, I haven't really touched any of the advanced simulation/FPGA stuff yet.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:54:14 am »
I haven't really touched any of the advanced simulation/FPGA stuff yet.

Don't bother
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf