Author Topic: how to start with power transistors?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
how to start with power transistors?
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:21:23 pm »
voltage and surrent sources, darlingtons etc
thanx

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: how to start with power transistors?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:55:19 pm »
thanx
Be more specific.

What project are to trying to build?

A power transistor needs to have a good enough heatsink to avoid overheating. The key to thermal design is understanding the thermal resistance specified in oC/W, i.e. a heatsink with a thermal resistance of 1oC/W, will raise its temperature by 1oC above ambient, for every Watt of power produced by the power device attached to it. Transistors also have a thermal resistance specified between the junction and case, which works on the same principle and the same goes for thermal pads. The thermal resistances of the heatsink, transistor's junction to case and thermal pad all add together. For example, if a transistor has 10V across it, the current is 1A, the power dissipation will be 10W. If it has a maximum junction temperature rating of 120oC and the maximum temperature of the environment, where the circuit will work is 40oC, then the maximum permittable temperature rise is 120-40 = 80oC. The maximum thermal resistance between the transistor's junction and ambient is 80/10 = 8oC/W. If the transistor has a thermal resistance of 3oC/W between the junction and case, the maximum permissible thermal resistance of the heatsink and thermal pad is 8-3 = 5oC/W.

Another issue is the device's safe operating area, which greatly reduces the device's maximum power rating, at higher voltages, especially with BJTs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_operating_area

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:11:32 pm »
Yea
Thanx

Where I can read some tutorial specially for power electronix?

Offline Sceadwian

• Supporter
  • Beware those that tell you the way the world is.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:20:37 am »
Your question is too vague, Hero999's general suggestion to learn how to interpret thermal considerations is probably the most important thing to learn. You're going to have to be more specific then that as all the consideration of general electronics apply to power electronics.

There are device and application specific problems that could occur such as DV/DT latching of power Mosfets as one example. It depends too heavily on your specific usage.

https://www.ixys.com/Documents/AppNotes/IXAN0061.pdf
-Because I be, what I be. I would tell you what you want to know if I could, mum, but I be a cat. And no cat anywhere, ever gave anyone a straight answer.-

The following users thanked this post: 001

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 09:21:09 am »
Yea
Thanx

Where I can read some tutorial specially for power electronix?
Far too vague. What aspects of power electronics are you talking about?

My previous post dealt with thermal design, especially of a linear device, because it's where most newcomers start. A switching element is a bit more complex, especially if it's working at a high frequency, where the switching losses will be significant.

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:57:52 am »
thanx
Do you want to do some experiments? You could start with a simple zenner and series pass transistor regulator
Do you have a safe unregulated power source?
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 01:53:06 am »
 Rs can then be replaced with a constant current source to improve the performance.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline GeoffreyF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 01:34:22 pm »
I would suggest that you start with low power ones.  The principles are all the same.  All the types of circuits you mentioned can be explored with low voltages and currents.  The costs of projects, of mistakes are less.  If you are exploring higher power, there are also more issues with heat dissipation and even with fire.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf