Author Topic: HP 54601a or Tektronix tds 210 ?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline little_carlosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HP 54601a or Tektronix tds 210 ?
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:38:03 pm »
Hi, I've found both scopes here in México for 120 USD (Scopes are way more expensive here than in the states or europe). 
Since I need a digital scope, those 2 took my interest. The HP is 4 channel 100Mhz and the tek is 2 channel 60 Mhz.
Which one should I buy? Space isnt really a problem since I have a way bigger analog scope in my desk. And even crappy OWON's are for like 300 USD here.

Offline sarel.wagner

• Regular Contributor
  • Cooking up an Electronix Storm
Re: HP 54601a or Tektronix tds 210 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:47:05 pm »
If it was me, I would go for the HP oscope here. More channels more BW...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:12 am »
Just checked the facts of the HP 54601A -

there's a big contra on this one: it's maximum sampling rate is 20MS/s, so you'd run it in ETS (equivalent time sampling) for nearly every signal. This works with repetive signals only, and gives you quite slowish display response with higher frequency signals.

The Tek is a quite simple scope, but has a 1GS/s rate and can do single shot captures up to the maximum bandwidth. For general purpose use, this would be the better choice. The Tek's user interface is pretty simple and intuitive to use, don't know about the HP.

Both have about the same sample memory (2k Samples for single shot), so there's no advantage for the HP here.
Edit: the third and fourth channel of the HP have very restricted input amplitude range, not as useful as the first two. So it isn't a real 4 channel scope, it can display only two traces at once - no advantage over the Tek.

So my recommendation would clearly be the Tek.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:50:12 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:07 pm »
A friend of mine bought a Tektronix DSO a while back, possibly that model.
He claims that the default trigger point is fixed to center screen. If true, I would find it totally unbearable. He said that Tektronix refused to correct the problem.
I'll try to confirm the model number.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:51:19 pm »
It is the TDS2012 model that has the trigger position problem.
I have owned the HP 54600A model from new.  I still use it occasionally. It has become troublesome over the last few years with failed power supply capacitors and shorting tantalum capacitors on the mainboard.
 I have since bought two HP 54645A models off ebay. The 200MS/s makes them much more useful. I have had minor trouble with both, fail power supply resistors and EPROMs
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:00:36 am by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 02:23:16 am »
Just checked the facts of the HP 54601A -

there's a big contra on this one: it's maximum sampling rate is 20MS/s, so you'd run it in ETS (equivalent time sampling) for nearly every signal. This works with repetive signals only, and gives you quite slowish display response with higher frequency signals.

The Tek is a quite simple scope, but has a 1GS/s rate and can do single shot captures up to the maximum bandwidth. For general purpose use, this would be the better choice. The Tek's user interface is pretty simple and intuitive to use, don't know about the HP.

Both have about the same sample memory (2k Samples for single shot), so there's no advantage for the HP here.
Edit: the third and fourth channel of the HP have very restricted input amplitude range, not as useful as the first two. So it isn't a real 4 channel scope, it can display only two traces at once - no advantage over the Tek.

So my recommendation would clearly be the Tek.

They are both quite old Oscilloscopes, with the very small sample memory common to that time.

I, & many of my contemporaries were put off early DSOs because the sample rate reduced so radically with the time/div setting.
Trying to look at one field of a PAL video waveform became an exercise in futility as the video waveform contained frequencies well in excess of the reduced sampling rate.

The resulting aliasing gave a display that looked more like my overgrown back yard than the waveform we were expecting. :o

As long as you bear this limitation in mind, you can probably get good use out of either, but don't ditch the analog--- you may need it to check if your DSO is lying to you.

I like HP, but my preference for 'scopes has always been Tektronics, so, if you have to have one of them, I'd
go for the "tedious 210". ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf