Author Topic: I am young, I want to build an electronics lab.  (Read 11489 times)

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: I am young, I want to build an electronics lab.
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 05:52:18 pm »
It is easy to find all kinds of parts, used parts. On garbage day just wander around the neighborhood and look for radios, TVs, whatever, lying in the garbage.
This is probably good advice for the OP, who is based in the States, but beginners elsewhere should be aware that it may be illegal in some countries. People in the UK have been prosecuted for taking items from skips and rubbish bins. If in doubt ask the owner if it's OK to take it.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 08:15:05 pm »
Don't forget your local GoodWill or Thrift store. They seem to vary a lot by how much electronics they sell but my local one has provided all sorts of sources of used components and even some test equipment for very cheap!

Old style AC power plugs - the big heavy ones can often be bought for $1-2 and provide many of the parts you need to experiment building your own linear power supply - transformer, caps, diodes, etc.  The higher quality laptop power adapters can also often be bought for a couple of dollars. They are switching power supplies and can be a good source of inductors and other parts as well.  Just don't mess with those power plugs while they're plugged in until you know what you're doing and heed the advice about shorting the big caps with a screwdriver before touching them.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 05:04:21 pm »
Does the Idaho National Labs have a surplus store? They are big enough, they must generate a fair amount of surplus/obsolete equipment. Even if they sell it in auction lots, there must be people who buy lots and then sell individual units via ebay and similar. Finding out about that might be a way to get a deal on some equipment, and/or a way to get some work that would be relevant to your interests.

Offline Cherry

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 11:51:15 am »
Wow!Fantastic!

Offline MMDuino

• Regular Contributor
  • First impressions are lasting...
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 11:55:44 am »
try to visit www.aliexpress.com
there are a lot of things you can buy it, it's very cheap.

I am young, I am younger. I have some electronic stuff, but I want to build an electronics lab. Because I am young I can't get a job, test equipment and other things cost large amounts of money. Is there anyone who knows where I find cheap and working test equipment and other electronics bits. I am looking for a cheap analog oscilloscope, I am going to buy a multimeter, and I have an Arduino Kit. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OHQ3CBW/ref=twister_B00OHQ3BD6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

-Thanks
Baron C

Idaho Falls Idaho, United States of America.

P.S

I know what I need for a lab, but I don't have allot of money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf