Author Topic: I have $1500 to spend on a hobby lab.  (Read 15512 times)

Offline rhinocatTopic starter

• Contributor
I have $1500 to spend on a hobby lab.
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:09:35 pm »
I have $1500 to spend on a hobby lab, how should I spend it?  I have a cheep soldering iron, DMM, some bread boards, Arduinos, 555's, op amps, and passives.  I won't be seeing money like this for a long time, so i think I should buy the expensive stuff now while i have the money.  I was thinking I should get an oscilloscope, power supply, DMM(s), and a function generator.  How should I divide the money up?

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I have $1500 to spend on a hobby lab.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:21:05 pm »
I've pm'd you my account number and sort code.. :-+

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:23:35 pm »
Definitely an oscilloscope, DMM and decent power supply but I wouldn't go over the top....

Offline KaiserPermanentHEY!

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:27:31 pm »
Definitely an oscilloscope, DMM and decent power supply but I wouldn't go over the top....

Normally, I'd suggest a whole new set of golf clubs, but in this case I have to agree with StuUK.

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:27:53 pm »
As you mentioned oscilloscope, lab power supply, DMMs are staples for any lab.

For the rest, what are your interests?  Audio, RF/Ham radio, sensors/cloud/IoT, r/c drones, robotics, build/repair, etc.???

Depending on your interest you might want some specific equipment... e.g., spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer (or MSO in lieu of the oscilloscope), hot air station / smd toaster oven, etc.

Also a couple good books like Art of Electronics and the companion lab course plus lab parts... probably $200 just right there...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »
  I have a cheep soldering iron

If by cheap you mean crappy, i'd begin with getting a good soldering iron. Frustration caused by poor soldering iron can be unbearable. What is the point of getting a scope if cant solder things together.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline gilbenl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 03:44:09 pm »
Rigol DS1054-$399
Hakko FX-888D-$99
Fluke 27 (ebay; yellow w/gray face)-~$50
HP 3478a (ebay)-~$75-$100 (I'd get 2...That's me)
HP/Agilent E36xx Power Supply-~$100ea (get either a 2 or 3 channel version or two of the single channel versions)

Total: ~$950 (added $100 for shipping)

Solder
Solder wick
Flux pen
Hook up wire
Bread boards
Component kits (Caps, resistors, inductors. "Joe Knows Electronics" on ebay. Cheap-o throw away parts, come in great assortments)
Mini-fridge with beer--Also useful for storing solder paste

What doesn't kill you, probably hurts a lot.

The following users thanked this post: rhinocat

Offline pmbrunelle

• Regular Contributor
  • lost mech. guy
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 04:32:56 pm »
If you don't spend the money now, it will still be there in a year from now...

Buy tools as you need them. This way, you only buy the tools you actually need.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 04:37:56 pm »
Definitely agree with pmbrunelle. If you don't have any idea what you need, you probably don't need it (yet).

Buy a 'scope when you are working on something that needs a 'scope. You might never get to this point and find a cheap USB logic analyser is all you need.

Offline PeterFW

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stuff that goes boom
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »
If you don't spend the money now, it will still be there in a year from now...

Buy tools as you need them. This way, you only buy the tools you actually need.

This, so much this!
When i started i listend to all the folks who told me what i should get to start of, the only thing i wish i had listend to years before was, to buy a proper digital scope.

Besides that, buy what you need for a project. Do not waste money an stuff you might need some time.

There is allways one part missing you have to order annyway, unless you have been dooing this for decades, chances are that allways there will be one tiny part you can not substitute and have to order annyway.

The basics are just a decent multimeter, power supply and soldering station, maybe a really cheap hot air tool.

If you want to shelf out money, get a scope, multimeter, a all in one soldering station (Hot air, Iron, Desolder gun) and a bench power supply.

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 04:50:36 pm »
Dunno... if you don't spend that $1500 on electronics... it will be spent on other 'essentials'... roof repair, replacement water heater, resurfacing the drive way, wifey's hand bag...  :-//  ;D

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 07:21:21 pm »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 07:45:55 pm »
Good chair, good work-surface, good lighting.... Don't have to spend a bunch, but everything should be the right height, the desk not wobbly, the lighting bright but soft (minimize shadows)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:49:02 pm by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline PeterFW

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stuff that goes boom
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 08:09:54 pm »
Don't have to spend a bunch, but everything should be the right height, the desk not wobbly, the lighting bright but soft (minimize shadows)

On that subject, something to properly hold a PCB or workpiece is essential.
Ball joint vice, PCB vice or just a regular (heavy) one.

Light, yes, lots and lots of light. Id go for a few proper fluorescent tubes, with electric ballast and at least 2500 Lumens in all, spread out over a few of them to get even light.

Offline xyrtek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 08:21:20 pm »
Buy a good soldering iron, buy a good soldering iron...............you get it.

If you are going to get measurement instruments then by all means watch Dave's tear-downs, nothing like knowing what's inside  before you buy.

Can't recommend names or brands because I don't know what matters to you most. Is it bench space? new and shinny?

Like someone already mentioned, what are you planning on doing?

GL.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 10:21:04 pm »
HP/Agilent E36xx Power Supply-~$100ea (get either a 2 or 3 channel version or two of the single channel versions)
Where are the sneaky $100 E36xx Agilent power supplies hiding ?

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 10:30:14 pm »
Buy a good soldering iron, buy a good soldering iron...............you get it.

Buy a good soldering iron station

So much added frustration when i was a kid lol

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 11:20:31 pm »
+1 on pmbrunelle.

So, yeah. Get yourself a bank account!

If you don't know what you need, you don't need it. And it's a sure way to acquire things you will have no use for.

Hobby lab/electronics is often confused for a sickness that manifests as the collecting of interesting looking equipment for the purpose of collecting dust. If that's what you meant, then yeah. Buy all that stuff everyone listed.

The way I decide what to buy is when I catch myself thinking "having [equipment] would make this easier." Or "if I had [equipment] I could do this (or that!)!"

If you think buying stuff will give you the ability to do things, you have it backwards. Learning how to do things will necessitate buying equipment. And you will know what you need.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:25:16 pm by KL27x »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 01:02:28 am »

Same place the $50-$75 HP 3478A meters are hiding.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 01:04:00 am »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 01:08:53 am »
Buy a 'scope when you are working on something that needs a 'scope. You might never get to this point and find a cheap USB logic analyser is all you need.

I disagree. If you don't have a scope then you aren't the least bit serious about electronics. You will never ever regret buying a scope.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 02:02:04 am »

I disagree. If you don't have a scope then you aren't the least bit serious about electronics. You will never ever regret buying a scope.

I agree with Dave... Buy a $50 used CRO, like Dave suggests in the video below.

I didn't buy one because I needed an oscilloscope for any project. I bought one because it was fun to learn on it, play around with circuits, probe and even try using the Arduino to draw on it. I also played the compulsory Oscillofun and Youscope demos on it. All of these help you learn the ins and outs of oscilloscope usage. Not because of any specific "need".

Now the reason for a $50 used scope is because it is cheap enough to learn on and destroy (hopefully not if you are safe), won't blow your budget either... so you can get a better DSO when you actually need one and have 2 oscilloscopes! I have 3 CRO's in my possession now, all for under $200. I can still sell them and price-wise they have hit rock-bottom so you are not going to really have depreciation.

Also, the $1500 you have is not going to "disappear"... Keep it in the bank. Don't just waste it all now. You never know what deals are around, and you will just have a pile of equipment collecting dust that may be a lot cheaper later down the line (or can be picked up used or discounted last year's model).

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline rhinocatTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 02:28:01 am »
Let me clear up some things.  I want to learn electronics just for fun, nothing specific yet other than troubleshooting and repair on consumer electronics and playing around with Arduino.  I know I need a soldering station but at $100 I can get that as a gift for my upcoming birthday.  What I want to know is what percentage of my budget should i spend on a scope vs. power supply, DMM, function generator.  To those saying not to buy until you need, it seem to me that a DMM is essential, a power supply is very handy, and is seems like everyone and there brother has a scope.  I think the function generator is the only "frivolous" thing, but I want to learn how to use it.  I would like to have a lab and learn electronics like I was going to college.  I watched Dave's excellent video on buying lab equipment, but our budgets are different.  Should I get the Rigol DS 1054Z or spend more money on a better scope and less on the other stuff?

Thank you to all who commented.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 03:43:35 am »
Let me clear up some things.  I want to learn electronics just for fun, nothing specific yet other than troubleshooting and repair on consumer electronics and playing around with Arduino.  I know I need a soldering station but at $100 I can get that as a gift for my upcoming birthday.  What I want to know is what percentage of my budget should i spend on a scope vs. power supply, DMM, function generator.  To those saying not to buy until you need, it seem to me that a DMM is essential, a power supply is very handy, and is seems like everyone and there brother has a scope.  I think the function generator is the only "frivolous" thing, but I want to learn how to use it.  I would like to have a lab and learn electronics like I was going to college.  I watched Dave's excellent video on buying lab equipment, but our budgets are different.  Should I get the Rigol DS 1054Z or spend more money on a better scope and less on the other stuff?

Thank you to all who commented.
Yes, the sky's the limit if you want good stuff but I think you've got a good handle on what's important.
While good DMM's can offer numerous features I've never had the need for anything other than a trustworthy DMM like one of the cheaper Flukes or Brymen. Check out Dave's shop for the rebranded Brymen. http://www.eevblog.com/store/
The 1054Z is probably fine for your use however it's not the only DSO in this class, each with their own feature set but there's plenty of threads here for you to study.
A basic AWG for you might be a SDG800 series (single channel) or a SDS1000 series (2 channel).
The newer SDG2000X series might blow your budget but just so you know they've been liberated from 40 MHz (basic model) to 120 MHz.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 04:55:07 am »
Same place the $50-$75 HP 3478A meters are hiding.
Well they've found a good hiding spot cuz I sure can't find 'em.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf