Author Topic: I have bought a 998D Soldering Station Need Help  (Read 1121 times)

Offline CannaTopic starter

I have bought a 998D Soldering Station Need Help
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:45:39 pm »
Hi there boys and girls,
This is my first post here and i have come for your advice..

I bought the 998D soldering station from ebay.
I wont be using this unit day in day out just the occasional job here and there..
I received the item today and kinda shocked what i found inside..
I was just wondering what use guys advice me to do or recommend.
Or If someone here may of owned one of these and what they did..

So My question is, Would i be ok to ground/earth the unit to the case from the crimp that is attached to the laminations on the transformer, I obviously should ground the case,
But i wanted to hear from you all what should i do to make this unit safe to use thank you

Here are some pics i have fixed the hot air earth already
https://imgur.com/a/9n3g4Wb

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I have bought a 998D Soldering Station Need Help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:29:49 am »
Check for continuity but the case should be already grounded by the transformer mounting screw...

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

The following users thanked this post: Canna

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:19:42 am »
Not that that's acceptable.  The main protective ground connection should never be via a mounting bolt or screw of any other part, as there is a risk of it being loosened by vibration or during maintenance

It should be to a dedicated bolt, or welded on stud.   If a bolt is used, it should have no washers under its head, and on the other side, a sharp star washer against the chassis with paint removed under it, then a spring washer and a nut.   Grounds are then connected with crimped ring terminals on top of the first nut followed by another spring washer and a nut.  The final nut should ideally be locked - either two thin nuts locked together, or with threadlocker or a locknut.

The following users thanked this post: Canna

Offline CannaTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:51:01 pm »
Thats what i thought, i have made a solid earth to case now and with earth feed connected, the transformer posts do go through to the case and are screwed but they have coated everything so thick in paint it did not earth,, i have sanded to bear metal all point that should be earthed and left those that should not.. Thanks for your reply's i just wanted to make sure

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf