Author Topic: I was fixing an SMPS, and then this happened!  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Drake122Topic starter

• Contributor
I was fixing an SMPS, and then this happened!
« on: February 18, 2018, 02:54:16 pm »
Hey guys!

I work as a computer tech and I'm trying to get into chip-level repair and such. I was working on a Switch Mode Power-supply that had some issues, I was probin' around the parts (watched some vids, so I can identify them  ;D ) and as I was probing voltage on a high-voltage transistor to see if its working, It blew. Arc over the probes, the fuse saved my ass that day. It was pretty scarry. I want to ask you guys, what might have happened. I ruled out the clearance between the probes, I didn't bring them too close, they have to be really close for an arc to happen. I guess I shouldn't test transistors in circtuit like that?  :-//

ps.: I can post some pics about the parts and area I was working on tomorrow, when I get to work. I don't really have the schematics for that PSU, pretty cheap stuff :P

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: I was fixing an SMPS, and then this happened!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:18:42 pm »
Possibly ground related issues.

Here is a discussion (and ap notes)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/differential-probes-or-'float-the-scope'/msg1427668/#msg1427668

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 03:40:15 pm »
As a beginner please disconnect the SMPSU from mains and discharge the main filter cap before checking components. Probing voltages in the primary side requires some experience and knowledge, also the right tools.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
maybe he got his lesson as a beginner. probing hot line with hand is bad idea as hand can moved around and moving probe into distance initiating arcs. next time turn off the mains. use probe clip and make sure attached firmly to circuit to be probed and then turn on the mains. never connect ground clip to anything (for non isolated scope).
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Drake122Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 06:44:58 pm »
Okay, I get it now. Don't probe live wires unless I know what to look for  ;D
As for SMPS repair, what usually goes bad, after the most obvious thing (capacitors)?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »
Switching MOSFET, switching controller, controller's filter cap, feedback (opto coupler), Schottky diodes in the secondary side...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf