Author Topic: Im dumb, tell me what to do with my ESD grounding mat  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Im dumb, tell me what to do with my ESD grounding mat
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:32:52 am »
I have a big velleman ESD mat.

• I don't have any exposed copper wiring, the radiators and any exposed piping are painted over (building hundreds of year old), best guess is an old metal intercom box
  • It came with one alligator clip that snaps to the pad, and it has multiple points to snap something to.
  • I have some grounding wrist straps.

Ok now please help me decide what to do with it?
  • Put a wire between the metal frame and metal screw of the intercom box built into the wall, which might not be connected to anything anymore on the other side of the wall, and connect that to one of the grounding points on the mat
  • Get an extension cable and connect the mats grounding point to the AC ground prong.
  • Connect the ground on the mat to the device i'm working on and one of the above

Let's not discuss the degrees of ESD protection but please help me decide how to best use the pad i have. I read a lot on Google and youtube but there seems to be no definitive answer.
High school graduate

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Im dumb, tell me what to do with my ESD grounding mat
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:39:21 am »
Hi

2. Get an extension cable and connect the mats grounding point to the AC ground prong.

Check the resistance between one of the metal studs on the mat and earth is around 1M \$\Omega\$
Just put your work on the mat.
Connect wrist strap to the mat and wear it.

The following users thanked this post: Mp3

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:40:43 am »
Get a grounded plug, connect the wire from the mat to the ground screw in the plug, plug it into the wall.

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:43 pm »
I have done this and i get 1M  \$\Omega\$ resistance but i also get about 1.5-2 volts AC power across the metal studs on the mat.
is this safe to work on? that seems worrying
Thanks in advance.
High school graduate

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 09:37:12 pm »
When you touch the mat, do you get that tinggley feeling?

If so, something is wrong.
If not everything is fine.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:22:56 pm »
I have done this and i get 1M  \$\Omega\$ resistance but i also get about 1.5-2 volts AC power across the metal studs on the mat.
Thanks in advance.

I would use any affordable multimeter that has the Low-Z function to confirm whether it's merely a stray 'ghost' voltage
..or  -old wiring-  issues waiting to bite    :scared:

FWIW, any direct 'continuous' connection to the mains ground/earth wire which is usually bonded to the Live Neutral at the switchboard, is waiting for trouble...
especially in an older property which may have dodgy 'compliance' work done with a mix of shared earths and neutrals to fool the electrical inspector 

i.e. make sure the ESD routine works as it should or lose it to avoid the possibility of 'can't happen' zaps   :o

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 07:43:58 am »
Thanks in advance.

I would use any affordable multimeter that has the Low-Z function to confirm whether it's merely a stray 'ghost' voltage
..or  -old wiring-  issues waiting to bite    :scared:

FWIW, any direct 'continuous' connection to the mains ground/earth wire which is usually bonded to the Live Neutral at the switchboard, is waiting for trouble...
especially in an older property which may have dodgy 'compliance' work done with a mix of shared earths and neutrals to fool the electrical inspector 

i.e. make sure the ESD routine works as it should or lose it to avoid the possibility of 'can't happen' zaps   :o

No tingley feeling, but i live in a very old building with bad wiring, all running off a 60 amp breaker  :palm: so maybe i will search harder for somewhere to mount a grounding screw...
High school graduate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf