Author Topic: Inexpensive Capacitor Leakage Tester  (Read 19578 times)

Offline jsiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Inexpensive Capacitor Leakage Tester
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:33:26 am »
I've got a tube radio and a tube organ from the early 60's that I would like to make usable again.  There are ample warnings on the net about how pretty much all old capacitors leak and need to be replaced.  So I hacked together a capacitor leakage tester with my DC power supply and an old Simpson Model 374 microamperes meter.  My power supply maxes out at 64 volts so I started testing some of the 100 volt capacitors in the parts bin.  I was surprised how many of new, never used capacitors leaked DC current. 

Which brings me to the 600 volt capacitors in these tube devices.   To test them I'm going to need more that 64 volts and that gets expensive fast!  Heathkit IT-11 or IT-28 testers go for a small fortune and high voltage bench top power supplies are in the thousands of dollars.  I want to test the replacement capacitors before I install them because these old guys were NOT designed with ease of repair in mind. 

Any ideas on how to test these high voltage capacitors without spending a fortune?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
Re: Inexpensive Capacitor Leakage Tester
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:45 am »
I don't see reason why you would want to check specs of modern, band-new capacitors of reputable manufacturer which obviously you shall pick.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:48:32 am »
I don't see reason why you would want to check specs of modern, band-new capacitors of reputable manufacturer which obviously you shall pick.

They have infant mortality and can fail new. It's extremely rare though for good brand caps (I've seen it happen on Youtube though). For cheap caps, I'm not sure (just avoid them).

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:01:45 am »
Nice ammeter, jsi. Be sure to bring caps up to voltage slowly to minimize the risk of pegging the meter.

If you want to get an actual leakage tester, don't limit yourself to the Heathkit ones. Many Heathkit devices go for too much money on eBay. It's also a good idea to get one that discharges the cap, either automatically or with a button/lever, prior to removal.

Be sure to check local sources, too. I got a Sprague TO-6 locally for significantly less than they go for on eBay.

If you're comfortable with high voltages (I assume so, since you're going to work on tube stuff), you could make your own tester. Have a look at the schematics in the operating/service manuals for some of the vintage testers.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: jsi

Offline Damianos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:42:56 am »
I've got a tube radio and a tube organ from the early 60's that I would like to make usable again.  There are ample warnings on the net about how pretty much all old capacitors leak and need to be replaced.  So I hacked together a capacitor leakage tester with my DC power supply and an old Simpson Model 374 microamperes meter.  My power supply maxes out at 64 volts so I started testing some of the 100 volt capacitors in the parts bin.  I was surprised how many of new, never used capacitors leaked DC current. 
Electrolytic capacitors need some time to operate in specifications. In the datasheets, leakage current  is specified, but also an initial time period to achieve this. So, when testing electrolytic capacitors, give them some time to reconstruct the insulating layer.
Which brings me to the 600 volt capacitors in these tube devices.   To test them I'm going to need more that 64 volts and that gets expensive fast!  Heathkit IT-11 or IT-28 testers go for a small fortune and high voltage bench top power supplies are in the thousands of dollars.  I want to test the replacement capacitors before I install them because these old guys were NOT designed with ease of repair in mind. 

Any ideas on how to test these high voltage capacitors without spending a fortune?
For testing capacitors a low power voltage source is enough.
Because a small high voltage transformer may be difficult to find, a voltage multiplier seems more convenient. Using a selector switch gives voltage steps/ranges.
Another solution is to use a low power boost converter.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, jsi

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 03:45:20 pm »
I have a couple Fender tube amps from about 1972 so this interests me. Are you considering replace original caps with new old stock and therefore want to test them? I know good quality large caps can be expensive, but for the work involved that would all I would consider using and would trust the mfgs QC. I would be interested to learn if that is a naive thing to do.

Offline jsiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:30:39 pm »
I have a couple Fender tube amps from about 1972 so this interests me. Are you considering replace original caps with new old stock and therefore want to test them? I know good quality large caps can be expensive, but for the work involved that would all I would consider using and would trust the mfgs QC. I would be interested to learn if that is a naive thing to do.

I bought the replacement caps from justradios.com  He's got just about everything you could want for these old tube amps.  I never considered putting new old stock (NOS) in my projects.  Lots of stories about them being bad too.  The explanation that seemed to make the best sense to me was it's like replacing the tires on a classic car.  Nobody wants to drive around on leaky old tires, and the same thing goes for old capacitors.  YMMV, but IMO a cool working radio is far more fun than a pretty box that doesn't do anything. 

Offline jsiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:38:57 am »
Nice ammeter, jsi. Be sure to bring caps up to voltage slowly to minimize the risk of pegging the meter.

If you want to get an actual leakage tester, don't limit yourself to the Heathkit ones. Many Heathkit devices go for too much money on eBay. It's also a good idea to get one that discharges the cap, either automatically or with a button/lever, prior to removal.

Be sure to check local sources, too. I got a Sprague TO-6 locally for significantly less than they go for on eBay.

If you're comfortable with high voltages (I assume so, since you're going to work on tube stuff), you could make your own tester. Have a look at the schematics in the operating/service manuals for some of the vintage testers.

Great! The Sprague TO-6 is officially on the hunt list.  :-+  My wife loves to hang out at estate sales and she always calls me when she comes across any electric stuff.  The Simpson ammeter is an example of such a find. 8) 

The idea of making a tester has crossed my mind.  But, as I think this through, buying a used meter might be the best way to go.  I've got 2 projects: a radio / record player from my youth, and a Hammond Organ from my wife's childhood.  After that I'm going to be done with this old stuff.  I much prefer working in the digital realm.  If I pickup a used Heathkit or Sprague tester I can resell it when I'm done.  I've done that with other tools that were needed for a project and in the end they cost me next to nothing. 

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 01:46:30 pm »

I bought the replacement caps from justradios.com  He's got just about everything you could want for these old tube amps.  I never considered putting new old stock (NOS) in my projects.  Lots of stories about them being bad too.  The explanation that seemed to make the best sense to me was it's like replacing the tires on a classic car.  Nobody wants to drive around on leaky old tires, and the same thing goes for old capacitors.  YMMV, but IMO a cool working radio is far more fun than a pretty box that doesn't do anything.

What I meant is I would trust QC on good brand caps from current manufacture (i.e. Sprague from DigiKey). NOS maybe fine for tubes, but old caps are old caps, in circuit or in the bag.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:56:28 pm »
It's easy to measure the leakage of a capacitor, with a multimeter and stopwatch.

Charge the capacitor, to the appropriate voltage.

Leave it to stand, with nothing connected to the terminals, for a known amount of time.

Set the multimeter to read the maximum voltage, connect it to the capacitor and record the reading.

Calculate the lost charge and work out the equivalent parallel resistance/leakage current.

Offline jsiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 05:25:39 pm »
It's easy to measure the leakage of a capacitor, with a multimeter and stopwatch.

Charge the capacitor, to the appropriate voltage.

Leave it to stand, with nothing connected to the terminals, for a known amount of time.

Set the multimeter to read the maximum voltage, connect it to the capacitor and record the reading.

Calculate the lost charge and work out the equivalent parallel resistance/leakage current.
The procedure you describe sounds like a discharge test which in my learner's mind is different than a leakage test.  I need to test for DC leakage through the capacitor.  I'll leave the distinction between the two for the more experienced people here. 

What I'm going to do is haunt ebay and Craigslist untill I find a suitable tester.  I'll buy it, use it for two projects and then sell it.  If I pay the right price to start with, I'll be able to sell it for what I paid. So, when all is said and done the tester is free. 

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 07:01:06 pm »
http://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=1385 my page about reforming and leakage measurement. At the end of the page some simple schematics from the ones I builded and use (a lot)
There are two different leakage principles. The first one is stated in the manual from the electrolytic caps. Stated for 1 and/or 3 minutes. I have never done those tests so I do not know the right set up for that. I have a WK bridge that has a leakage function but the manual does not explain how to interpret  the result and do the test. It is done with a low voltage.  I think it is some kind of coulomb measurement. After one minute the cap must be charged to the max voltage (3V ? ) from the tester. The charging current then will be zero. If not it is leaking. This is a test for normal formed caps.

This is not the leakage you worry about in old tube gear that is long not used. That has to do with the leakage of the degraded oxidelayer on the working voltage. So a "defect" but often "repairable"  You test that at the working voltage so you know for sure the oxide layer can withstand that. Just for safety. This way you can find defects in the isolation. If have seen caps working perfect at some voltage (far beneath the working voltage)  but  if you increase the voltage, nothing happens other them more leakage current. Almost like it is a zener. (until it heats up to much and then poefffff )
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline daedalux

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:34:22 pm »
Use a regular 250V 500V 1000V insulation tester in the range it fits. Have one, is very useful for lots of stuff as you need high voltage safely lots of times for testing for shorts. We trust our regular multimeters too much and they inject just 0,3V in resistance mode.
If you don't go on anything that may remotely be dangerous like real power electronics a BM500 insulation tester may work for you.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 01:25:47 am »
This is not the leakage you worry about in old tube gear that is long not used. That has to do with the leakage of the degraded oxidelayer on the working voltage. So a "defect" but often "repairable"  You test that at the working voltage so you know for sure the oxide layer can withstand that. Just for safety. This way you can find defects in the isolation. If have seen caps working perfect at some voltage (far beneath the working voltage)  but  if you increase the voltage, nothing happens other them more leakage current. Almost like it is a zener. (until it heats up to much and then poefffff )

^This^. Old paper caps in particular can often test OK at a lower voltage (or even their in-circuit operating voltage) but start leaking heavily between that & their rated voltage - they're faulty ones that just haven't failed yet, but soon will ;).

I normally replace most paper caps on sight, but right now I've got a couple of unusual radios in the queue that deserve to be kept as original as possible. Original caps that test OK or come good after drying / reforming will be kept, & faulty ones will be re-stuffed where possible.

At the moment I'm building a leakage tester based on the supply in the 3rd schematic here, current-limited to 10mA and should be good for ~700V. I'll wait until it's built & tested before I post the schematic - most of the parts are from my junkbox/ebay, but I'm waiting for Mouser to get their finger out & send the MOSFETs & caps I ordered last week...

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:04:47 am »
I normally replace most paper caps on sight, but right now I've got a couple of unusual radios in the queue that deserve to be kept as original as possible. Original caps that test OK or come good after drying / reforming will be kept, & faulty ones will be re-stuffed where possible.

Do you reform paper caps ?  (reforming only works for electrolytic caps)
And what do you mean by drying ?
Are you talking about caps from very old radios (1920's or so) like the electrolytic cap on my picture (from a 30's Philips 836A that was damaged by a granate during WW2. the radio was from his parents)

I restored a only a few radios (maybe 15 or so), but never replaced all caps. Only the ones that tested bad. The good caps worked fine for 50-60 tears and they all still work fine now.
I know, this is a big nono in the audioworld where recapping is the magic word.  >:D
(But I'm for most into testgear restorations, there the quality of components is probably just better)

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 06:04:01 pm »
I built a very good working Capacitor leakage tester / reformer following the instructions from M. Caldeira's very detailed youtube series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy5M_tA9ux7KWexvEjLB0SANSxQXi0zTS

I also wrote an article on my build in my own web page. For those who can read spanish and may be interested, click here.

My tester:

The following users thanked this post: tigr

Offline jsiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 05:25:10 am »

Great! The Sprague TO-6 is officially on the hunt list.  :-+  My wife loves to hang out at estate sales and she always calls me when she comes across any electric stuff.  The Simpson ammeter is an example of such a find. 8) 

The idea of making a tester has crossed my mind.  But, as I think this through, buying a used meter might be the best way to go.  I've got 2 projects: a radio / record player from my youth, and a Hammond Organ from my wife's childhood.  After that I'm going to be done with this old stuff.  I much prefer working in the digital realm.  If I pickup a used Heathkit or Sprague tester I can resell it when I'm done.  I've done that with other tools that were needed for a project and in the end they cost me next to nothing.

SCORE!!!!!!   :clap: :clap:
All I can say is make sure you marry a good woman.   I told my wife to be on the lookout for any capacitor checkers at the estate sales.  She then proceeds to tell me she'd bought some electrical "stuff" without telling me about it.  Danged if she hadn't bought a Heathkit C-3 condenser checker and a Heathkit radio frequency generator.  And, nobody wanted them so they were half price.  They need to be rebuilt, but that's going to be far easier than starting from scratch. 

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 09:35:38 pm »
Nice score! Congrats! :clap:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 08:42:46 pm »
Mr Carlson has released a low voltage leak detector, all details are available from his patreon site, here's his release video

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf