Author Topic: Infrared Recievers  (Read 1248 times)

Offline skillz21Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Infrared Recievers
« on: October 16, 2016, 01:40:25 am »
Hi guys,
A while back, i got a pack of IR transmitter LEDs and receiver LEDs (is that even what their called?). I know i can just use the... ones with a chip built in, but i want to know what these things are used for. :-//
Thanks!
PS.Sorry for the informality in my posts :)

Offline Ammar

• Regular Contributor
Re: Infrared Recievers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 03:30:15 am »
How many pins do the receiver ones have?

If it has two pins it is likely a phototransistor or photodiode.

The ones with three pins contain a photodiode as well as a bunch of other magic (filters, amplifiers, demodulators) to ensure that the device receives signals that are modulated at a certain frequency, typically 10s of kHz. They will have a supply pin, a ground pin and a signal pin.

Offline skillz21Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 03:56:46 am »
two pins, click HERE for image.

Offline Ammar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:07 am »
I am guessing the dark one is the infrared LED although it could be the other way around.

The clear one is likely a phototransistor. The longer lead is probably the emitter and the shorter one the collector. You can test it out by putting a 10k pull up resistor on the collector to a supply voltage, say 5 to 10V. Shine the infrared LED on the phototransistor and measure the collector voltage with a multimeter. Watch it drop to around 0.7V when the light is shining on it.

You can also check to see if an infrared LED is actually glowing with a CMOS camera. Although filters have gotten better these days, so maybe not. My camera phone still shows glowing infrared LEDs as purple light.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf